• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Finally got it apart. Had tried everything from penetrating oil to getting it hot with lots of ammo, to vices and about 30 other things people suggested. In the end, a vice and some arm strength got it loose. Just not the way I wanted it to be loose.

Wasn't very happy with what I found. Oops! :xmad: Its probably seen 750-1000 rounds. I clean it about every 200 rounds ( normal day of using it.)

Guess that wasn't enough as it looks kinda dirty when I finally broke it loose.

IMAG0514.jpg

Will be calling Thompson Machine to see what they can do, if anything.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Did you use any anti-sieze? I've learned that I need to clean my zephyr xl every 100 rounds, especially running gemtech subsonics.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Did you use any anti-sieze? I've learned that I need to clean my zephyr xl every 100 rounds, especially running gemtech subsonics.

No kidding... 100 rounds? I dump more than that at a trip. Is this something that is common? I know I have dropped four times that easily between cleanings in my Huntertown Kestrel 22. Maybe normally more than that.

I ask because I am looking at maybe a Thompson Thirty and don't want problems.

Sorry to see that this happened to the OP... that isn't cool at all.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    My Zeyphr XL also didn't want to come apart after using it Sunday at the NFA day.

I ended up putting in a vise and a wrench on the tool to get it apart.
    It was seized, but came apart with out damage. It was also anti-seized.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    You should see what the wrench looks like that fits in the grooves on the end. Its nearly stripped from all the pulling.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    No kidding... 100 rounds? I dump more than that at a trip. Is this something that is common? I know I have dropped four times that easily between cleanings in my Huntertown Kestrel 22. Maybe normally more than that.

I ask because I am looking at maybe a Thompson Thirty and don't want problems.

Sorry to see that this happened to the OP... that isn't cool at all.

I should have clarified. If I run it on my 10/22, I can get 150-200 rounds and it's ok, if I have it on my P22, it gets really dirty after 100. OP, sorry that you had the problems. Hopefully it won't be too much.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    just curious how long did you leave it soaking in penetrating oil??? I had a hell of a time cleaning my OBII the first time, but Now Ill just leave it soaking in wd40 for a few days before I even try knocking the baffles out.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I was having a time getting my Zepher XL apart too, I soaked it with PB Blaster over night and used a propane torch to gently heat it. The crud started breaking up and falling out of the can with the heat, I done that a few times and it broke free. I used anti-sieze on my baffles also, and I probably had two thousand rounds threw mine since it's last cleaning.:eek: :nailbite:

Sorry to see yours broke, hope you get it back quickly!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I wouldn't have forced it that much. After all, its an aluminum core threaded into steel. I usually soak mine for a couple days, and twist on it. If it doesn't move, I repeat the process.

Good thing is the damaged portion is not serialized, so the repair should be simple. Id make sure to contact your dealer you purchased it through.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I cleaned my Zephyr XL last weekend after shooting nearly 2,000 rounds through it over the course of a month or two. It came apart with absolutely no problem. I had coated the entire baffle insert and threads with anti-seize. I routinely go a few thousand rounds between cleanings with very little to no problems.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I cleaned my Zephyr XL last weekend after shooting nearly 2,000 rounds through it over the course of a month or two. It came apart with absolutely no problem. I had coated the entire baffle insert and threads with anti-seize. I routinely go a few thousand rounds between cleanings with very little to no problems.

Are you using the grey anti-seize?

Top Bottom