• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I agree,10-22 with the short barrel and a collapsable [AR TYPE] stock. I set one up for
    my petite little 8 year old granddaughter and she has a 10" length of pull. The Blackhawk
    stock has a 10.5" LOP collapsed, so she can shoot it now and both can grow together.
    Blackhawk calls theirs the Axiom.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I was sort of thinking along the same lines. You'll be hard pressed to truly find a semi-auto with a small profile and weight like the crickett. If it were me, and I had to have what you are seeking then I would get the Interarms/Norinco clone of he above Browning rifle and cut it down. The Interarms clone is cheap and has little to no collector value, thus you could shorten the barrel to 16" if desired and shorten the LOP. It would be a pretty cool little rifle!

Here is what it could look like cut down a little.
    norinco2-1.jpg

Last edited:

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm a fan of going the 10-22 route. They have something they can shoot now, will grow with them, and once they get full size there is a multitude of available parts to customize to their liking.

cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    Another nice feature of the 10/22 is the availability if carbon fiber barrels. I set one of these up for my, 7 year old, daughter. The reduced weight of the carbon fiber barrel really works well for her.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Kinda surprised that no one has mentioned the little Ruger 10/22 Compact as a candidate. A bit larger than a Chipmunk, Cricket, et alia but still quite significantly shorter and lighter than the standard carbines. Better set of open irons on it, too: FO Williams front and rear.

I traded for one when my younger nephew was still too small to comfortably handle any of my "adult" sized .22 RF rifles, including a Rossi M62A with the 'youth' butt stock. Worked out very well, and allowed him to compete with his older brother on the duelling tree targets on even terms.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Another vote for the M&P 15/22. These are really impressive rifles... even if they are a spendy for a "youth" .22LR.

Top Bottom