Your guess: How long untill ar15 prices normalize?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Lets assume that no assault weapons ban creeps its way through congress piggy backing on some "spare the virgins only heartless congressmen vote against this bill" kind of bill. How long before we start seeing stripped lowers below $100 again?

Badmac 183

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Never. Why would they lower their prices when people are stupid enough to pay the prices they're asking now?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    i'd say it just depends how many things are back ordered, after all of those orders are filled or canceled, then they will return to normality.
    you'll still have the everyday jackA$$ that wants to try to get his money back, but just let him try and go buy it elsewhere.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Minimum 6 months, could take 18 months though and I do not believe they will ever be where they where at the end of 2011.

That said I believe they will spike up even higher starting on the 22nd.

Sonick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Louisville
    Never. Why would they lower their prices when people are stupid enough to pay the prices they're asking now?

On one hand I agree with this, on the other I think it will only take a few people in a financial bind that need to off load theirs for cheap for the trend to catch on. Seen it happen before. Will we see $600 AR's again? Doubt it. But I have been looking to buy another one and see garbage for $1200-$1500... over double what their retail was.

toppgunnz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm of the opinion that the consistent decline of the economy will force people to sell their AR's to put food on the table... I'm just glad I bought mine year's ago. If I didnt have a ton of ammo already, I'd let mine go for today's prices. Never know what tomorrow may bring though....

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    6-9 months I think. As some others said the prices will take a long time if ever to come all the way back down, until people feel the economic squeeze and have to sell them to pay bills instead of selling them to make a killing...

StrongSide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    NWI
    I give it 90 days.

I have sold ALOT of my guns/parts in the last 14 days. Most of them were buyers that were new to the sport and buying simply because they think their chance to buy in the future will be gone.

Most people have spent an absurd amount of money and once they go out and start poking holes in paper and figure out it is a $100-$200 day, they will rethink the whole deal. Im sure at least 30% of the buyers for new parts wanted to resell them and make a few bucks. They will stop buying, people who bought will want their money back, people who need will buy at stores. Most of the "investors" will loose money and sell allowing the shelfs to go back up in stock.

MSRP's wont rise. These vendors were all backordered for what? 8-12 months before this happened?

At least it better not.. I want a new Barrett Rec7.. like now.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I think 60 to 90 days. Uppers will be in short supply for awhile but that should also resolve itself. I hope BCM gets some uppers built soon. I need a SPR Mk 12 Mod Bravo 1R for my last build. I do think you will see a lot of back orders canceled.

Last edited:

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    i would bet on at least 18 months for the back orders and for supply to get back to normal. not sure where the prices will end up. I would still like to get an m1a and hope not to have to give $2800 for one. lol

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget, we're also supply-side constrained. Firearms and ammo manufacturers who would like to expand and meet demand often have problems getting loans to do so, since the banks know that all it takes is 270 people in Washington using their power to destroy the market for that expansion.

Also, even if no new laws or regulations are enacted, the 2014 Congressional midterm elections will get here before the current backlog can flush out. At that time, unless Republicans are doing so well that there is no chance of them losing majority in the House or filibuster level in the Senate, the uncertainty will rise and panic buying will resume.

swebb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    The same buying frenzy we're seeing now happened in 2008 (albeit with a lot less cause for panic). It was a full year or more before the pipeline was replenished and stocking gun stores with ARs. I don't remember seeing Colts for as little as $1100 until 2010.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Never. I belive the market will never return to what it was. Parts to build an AR were in short supply before the SHTF three weeks ago. Once Newtown happened everyone started buying anything they could. Prices will come down but never to what they were. :twocents:

Top Bottom