• Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    On shotguns recieved from Dink Kingen,

"Do you drive with one eye closed or both eyes open?"

"Don't stop the gun."

My own advice is wait until you've seen them shoot before you ask for advice.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice
    Eat
    Sleep
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice

Everything you do should be muscle memory. Honestly you should be able to blind fold yourself, and still be able to make your gun function. There are so many techniques, and ways to practice. Find what works for you, because everyone is different. If money allows attend some training, or find someone who can work with you.

Practice
    Practice
    Practice
    Eat
    Sleep
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

You can't miss fast enough to win.

Totally agree here. When we qualified. I saw many new shooters try to be quick draws. Which only slowed them down, because when they went to unholster they had improper form. Speed will come with proper technique, once you build muscle memory. You will do without thinking. It's like a finger pointing to the moon. :D

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    I teach alot of Scouts to shoot 22LR for their rifle shooting MB, and one thing I tell them over and over when they're trying to qualify and have 1 or 2 flyers out of the 5 rounds is to "Make every shot count". I don't elaborate on what I mean...they eventually get it, and once they do, it makes a big difference in their group size.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    One other thing, we've talked about how to shoot, how about the responsibility. "If you choose to carry a firearm YOU are responsible for someones or something else's LIFE" ...........:@ya:....Duce<><

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Not so much spoken advice but I once had a range instructor who, when someone complained that their sights were off. (We were learning on old Smith and Wesson revolvers.) Would take the weapon, hold it upside down and fire it with his pinky finger and hit the target dead center. He would then hand it back and just look at them until they figured out to quit blaming the weapon.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Not so much spoken advice but I once had a range instructor who, when someone complained that their sights were off. (We were learning on old Smith and Wesson revolvers.) Would take the weapon, hold it upside down and fire it with his pinky finger and hit the target dead center. He would then hand it back and just look at them until they figured out to quit blaming the weapon.

LOLZ! I thought my putting the gun on the bench and having them line up the sights was proof enough. I like that guy's style!

jjlaughner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When I first started I was always low left, I used this

target.jpg

It seemed to help diagnose some issues and seek info on correcting them

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I've been asked on a number of occasions what I thought was the most important thing regarding target rifle shooting. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't apply to pistol and shotgun also.

The answer: DESIRE

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Totally agree here. When we qualified. I saw many new shooters try to be quick draws. Which only slowed them down, because when they went to unholster they had improper form. Speed will come with proper technique, once you build muscle memory. You will do without thinking. It's like a finger pointing to the moon. :D

I'm a Welding Engineer by trade, we teach the same thing for our welding teams, my wife uses it in the OR for the nurses, my dear mother teaches it on the piano, and Gun Site will repeat it a thousand times while you're shooting at the 400 and 600 meter course, it applies in many places.

Perfect the technique, the speed will show up when you're ready for it.

Top Bottom