• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've wanted that big round in my stable for a while now,ever since I picked up my AR.Been going through YouTube (because Netflix can no longer satisfy my craving for gun shows) and ran across an old except from Combat Countdown and its got me thinking about building something like the HK417.A .308 with a general purpose 16" upper,a 20" precision upper,and a 12" "door-kicker" upper.Probably wouldn't do the 12" upper because I'd lose interest by the time the tax stamp got back but the rest has my gears turning fast.Anything special that I should know about an AR-10 build?What parts are interchangeable with my AR15?Hell I may end up trading the AR to build this...no,nevermind that talk,she's my baby.Ideas folks?

Just so you guys know,my birthday is next Tuesday and parts for this would be great presents.:whistle:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Nothing is compatible between an ar-15 and an ar-10, except the buttstock. Do some dilligent research, as there are several different "patterns" to ar-10 rifles. AR-10 is a generic term, unless you are speaking specificly about the armalite ar-10. For instance, and DPMS lr-308 is not parts compatible with an Armalite AR-10. AR-15.com has an AR variants board that will really help in your research. Here is the link: AR Variants - AR15.COM Do plenty of research and don't get in a hurry, there is a lot to absord on the .308 platform.

I own a DPMS LR-308, and it is my baby! It has a 24"bull barrel upper, and I am saving for another upper that is more 3gun friendly. Good luck, they are a sweet platform!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My favorite 30 caliber replacement for an AR is a Springfield Armory M1a Supermatch, but that's just me. I have shot an Armalite AR-10 and it seemed to do a pretty good job. It was at least a 20 inch barrel.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My favorite 30 caliber replacement for an AR is a Springfield Armory M1a Supermatch, but that's just me. I have shot an Armalite AR-10 and it seemed to do a pretty good job. It was at least a 20 inch barrel.

+1. If you want 308, Go M1A. Unless you specifically need something with a collapsible stock and front rails, I'd abandon the AR platform. The M1A is too good to pass up if it fits the bill.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I've wanted that big round in my stable for a while now,ever since I picked up my AR.Been going through YouTube (because Netflix can no longer satisfy my craving for gun shows) and ran across an old except from Combat Countdown and its got me thinking about building something like the HK417.A .308 with a general purpose 16" upper,a 20" precision upper,and a 12" "door-kicker" upper.Probably wouldn't do the 12" upper because I'd lose interest by the time the tax stamp got back but the rest has my gears turning fast.Anything special that I should know about an AR-10 build?What parts are interchangeable with my AR15?Hell I may end up trading the AR to build this...no,nevermind that talk,she's my baby.Ideas folks?

Just so you guys know,my birthday is next Tuesday and parts for this would be great presents.:whistle:

If you want an "AR style in 308" and want parts that are compatible from an AR15 then you want a LR308 (AKA DPMS Pattern). The LR308 is similar to an AR10 (made by Armalite) in appearance. There arent any major parts (BCG, trigger/hammer,front/rear takedown pins, barrel, upper/lower receiver) interchangable between the 2. You cant even put a Armalite AR10 upper on a DPMS LR308 lower. They wont fit together. The LR308 and AR15 receiver ARE NOT the same. The LR308 is much larger. The magazine well is bigger to accept the .308 magazines. You can use AR15 fire control parts in a LR308. Thats about it.
    There is no standard "LR308" receiver(unless you buy all DPMS parts). You can by a "LR308 Pattern" lower receiver from many companies but it wont be externally the same as the DPMS pattern LR308 neccessarily. That is a problem if you buy a 80% lower receiver and dont get the jig that is SPECIFICALLY for that receiver. Most any LR308 pattern upper and lowers will mate and fit fine but its best to make sure before buying the parts to make a rifle.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If you want a 7.62NATO then the M1A or HK is a good choice. But if you are looking to go to a "high power" round then .300WM would be a good move to an acceptable long range round. Wouldn't be an Ar platfor though. my.02.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If you want an "AR style in 308" and want parts that are compatible from an AR15 then you want a LR308 (AKA DPMS Pattern). The LR308 is similar to an AR10 (made by Armalite) in appearance. There arent any major parts (BCG, trigger/hammer,front/rear takedown pins, barrel, upper/lower receiver) interchangable between the 2. You cant even put a Armalite AR10 upper on a DPMS LR308 lower. They wont fit together. The LR308 and AR15 receiver ARE NOT the same. The LR308 is much larger. The magazine well is bigger to accept the .308 magazines. You can use AR15 fire control parts in a LR308. Thats about it.
    There is no standard "LR308" receiver(unless you buy all DPMS parts). You can by a "LR308 Pattern" lower receiver from many companies but it wont be externally the same as the DPMS pattern LR308 neccessarily. That is a problem if you buy a 80% lower receiver and dont get the jig that is SPECIFICALLY for that receiver. Most any LR308 pattern upper and lowers will mate and fit fine but its best to make sure before buying the parts to make a rifle.
    I'm glad you showed up here.I always thought that an AR10 was like an AR15 in that there were standard parts and dimensions among all manufacturers.This knowledge pushes me towards my original scout rifle idea and using an M1A for it.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    You might also consider the PTR91 hk clone. Good reviews and lots of readily available surplus mags.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Here's what I'm looking for in this rifle.

Affordable
    Plentiful/affordable ammo
    Hard hitting
    Flat shooting
    Modularity

This would ultimately be a replacement for my go-to AR so that it can become my truck gun.I want something that makes a solid "battle rifle" should the occasion ever arise.

Top Bottom