• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booshie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Here recently I've had the urge to take $100-$200 to a yard sale, and see how quickly I can resell the items I purchased to double/triple my money.

I guess you could call it American Pickers or something, but I don't even like that show. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, share what you've bought/sold for mega profits!:popcorn:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    My wife and i do this with vintage Pyrex:D
    She really digs the stuff and i admit i have my favorites..:rolleyes:
    We are a bunch of nerds we will have our website up soon.:D

I like to collect 50's 60's high end modern furniture, Herman Miller, Knoll,etc.
    We go to flea markets, auctions, estate sales, and garage sales to find our "treasures".
    Dont make a living off of it but we have a good time.

Booshie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    My wife and i do this with vintage Pyrex:D
    She really digs the stuff and i admit i have my favorites..:rolleyes:
    We are a bunch of nerds we will have our website up soon.:D

I like to collect 50's 60's high end modern furniture, Herman Miller, Knoll,etc.
    We go to flea markets, auctions, estate sales, and garage sales to find our "treasures".
    Dont make a living off of it but we have a good time.

I've also heard that some pottery is highly collectable, and can go upwards of thousands of dollars!

It's definitely something I'll have to explore! I don't intend to make a living off of it, but maybe it can cover some of my ammo expenses! :):

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I always hear of people making awesome gun scores or some other thing at yard sales. The only thing I ever find at them are piles of baby clothes and toys, boxes of old VHS movies, out-dated computer equipment, and (inexplicably) treadmills. Always with the treadmills. I've never found anything I'd ever consider a "score", and never seen a single gun for sale.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Read and research items that sell, how much they go for, and which items in what condition.

You're better off knowing your market, and not doing much speculating on 'junk' that few people will pay more than you just handed the people at the garage sale.

Invest your time in research first, then spend some money...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter, you need to get to some yard sales in the higher class neighborhoods.:D

It's crazy anymore. They start at 6am on Thursday now. Used to be Saturday when I was a kid. I work during the week. By the time I can even get to a yard sale, anything worth buying is long gone.

rby1rby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Delphi
    A few years ago I bought 2 professional Croquet mallets for $25. sold one for 160 & the other for 120. Not alot but it made me feel good

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The Pickers show has caused lots of items to increase in asking price. Advertising sings for sure. The Internet has made those items you never used to see for sale almost common.

I am lucky as I know a few people who collect weird things like cast iron skillets and old bottles from avon. Those i know i can move quick.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A few years ago I bought 2 professional Croquet mallets for $25. sold one for 160 & the other for 120. Not alot but it made me feel good

What the hell is "Professional" croquet mallet????:n00b:

Oh wait I see it's one you can sell and make $255 profit on, never mind!!:rockwoot:

We make a lot of "Killer" yard sale deals but we typically make the purchases for ourselves. Like scutter said, with them typically starting on thursdays now it's tough to find the really profitable deals. We have rather eclectic tastes though so stuff we like is overlooked by 90% of the people. We do however take the occassional 4 day weekend a couple of times a summer to catch the earlier sales and those are the ones that we usually make the biggest hauls.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My best deal was the M14E2 (pistol grip) stock I picked up for <$5. I bet you can imagine what I got for that :)

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I am a huge garage saler and craiglister. Got a movado watch for 5 bucks, sold for 500. two lady hamilton vintage watches for 10 bucks a piece. They were gold and I sold them for a decent amount. Some professional hair clippers and a vintage marlboro cooler. Got them for 5 for both sold them for 400 together. I come by alot of stuff and always ask for guns. Got my first shotgun, a single shot 12 ga for 20 bucks

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I bought a 65 Fender mustang AND 68 Princeton reverb amp at a yard sale several years back for $125, I still have the guitar but sold the amp, after using it for a few years, for $500. I'd trade the guitar for a Ruger 1911.:D

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I always hear of people making awesome gun scores or some other thing at yard sales. The only thing I ever find at them are piles of baby clothes and toys, boxes of old VHS movies, out-dated computer equipment, and (inexplicably) treadmills. Always with the treadmills. I've never found anything I'd ever consider a "score", and never seen a single gun for sale.

Thats because Ive already been there:laugh:

Ive seen American Pickers pass up really valuable things I would Love to find such as

Knoll Tulip fiberglass chairs and a few Charles Saarinen "womb" chairs thats go for 500-3000+
    Tulip-Armless-Chair-by-Knoll-International-by-Eero-Saarinen-image-1.jpg
    Early-Eero-Saarinen-Knoll-Womb-Chair-1-600x400.jpg
    Herman-Miller-Leather-Chair-Looks-Ahead.jpg

I guess AP as well as I have certain taste and an eye for whats valuable and collectable. I wish I knew the places they visit to get what they missed...lol
    Ive never thought about asking about firearms at yard sales, I wouldn't straight ask, perhaps in the most casual way. Has anyone had experience with such a thing, "asking about firearms for sale"?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom