• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Today i was googling for a handgun case i read about years ago and found "Yahoo answers"... i had never heard of it.

but it is a "forum" where people ask questions and others can answer..

well someone ask if they needed a permit to take a handgun to the range in Indiana...
    and the " correct aswer" was no one did not..

and the thread was closed so you can not disput that...

there is a ton of wrong firearm info there..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    yeah, it is just amazing the amount of wrong info is out there...
    just something for y'all to be aware of...

the case i was looking for was about a guy in Indian who was convicted for transporting without a permit, he had a target /hunting permit and was on way home from range but stopped for smokes..
    i dont remember why he was stopped but i had read the ruling and the judge said he did not go directly home from the range..
    so his permit was no good..
    this was around the early 1990s....

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    yeah one of them is by me.

but unless one clicks to read those it really looks like yahoo is saying it is lawful to do that...
    Ha! just realized that... now there are three comments;)

Yahoo probably has a disclaimer somewhere as the system seems to be a popularity vote by the uninformed masses.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I think the answers on Yahoo Answers are submitted by other readers, not Yahoo themselves. I think that anyone can submit an answer, and the "best" answer is selected by vote. Yahoo Answers has a lot of 'answers' that sound right but aren't. People vote for the answer that sounds the most right.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Exactly the case, Episcopus.. it's people informing people. And some people are idiots, and I have honestly seen questions like "I was doing it with my boyfriend, but I was on top, can I get pregnet?" and answers like "Not if you do jumping jacks.."

There's a lot of people out there that know their stuff, but there's a great deal that are totally inept and clueless..

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I wrote to Yahoo through the report abuse line telling them the answer is blatantly false and is going to get someone to commit a felony if the advice is followed. I'd hate to see a future INGO member become an instant felon before he gets the chance to join all because he followed bad advice! Ignorance is no excuse. Isn't that what the traffic court judge once told me....

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Yep, "i didn't know" won't save your butt in court..

Yahoo is teamed up with phone companies and other ISPes and is the default , and sometimes forced, portal to the internet..
    they advertise you can get info right from them..
    so it would be nice if they fact heck a few things...

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Kinda makes you wonder what you CAN trust, huh?? I see students using Wikipedia as a reference all the time - can you "trust" Wikipedia?? How about the news guys?? Books, magazines, newspapers, internets??

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, just because it isn't scholastically accepted doesn't mean that these kids aren't taking it as true, though.. I mean, heck, there's a bajillion people out there that decide what they think about the world based on what "The Today Show" tells them, is that any better??

Top Bottom