• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Hello ingo, I was doing some reasearch on new chassis for the savage 110fp and I came across the XLR chassis's. They seem to be top of the line quality with all of the adjustability capabilties as higher end chassis. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular chassis and if so what they thought of it. I also would be open to any recommendation's for other companys that make chassis for the savage 110fp. Thanks ingo :ingo:

Here is a link to the chassis - XLR Industries | evolution

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I spent a good amount of time with one in my hands at shot show this year. One of my main goals was to play with the different chassis options.

When it was all said and done I decided if I changed out my Manners I would put it in a AI stock.

I believe phylodog on here runs a couple XLR's so hopfully he will chime in.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If you truly have a *long action* Savage 110 in 308, you might have trouble with a chassis system built for a Savage long action.

Savage 110s that came from the factory in a short action caliber (223/308 family) are older flat back, staggerfeed (magazine attached to action) actions and have a shorter mag well opening that 'traditional' 110 long actions that came in 270, 30-06, etc. In a chassis such as the XLR made for a Savage long action, you'll be required to use AICS pattern 300WM magazines and the shorter mag well of Long Action/SA cartridge 110s precludes using those magazines unless you have the mag opening milled out.

Now, if you have a two-digit SHORT ACTION Savage...you're in bidness.

Another option if you do in fact have a "short" long action is getting a 'traditional' stock like a Manners or McMillan, and utilizing CDI Precision's Savage Long Action/308 mag box DBM. I use one on my long action 223AI with AICS 223 magazines, and it works great; would also work great with AICS 308 magazines.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been running and XLR for a couple of years now. It's held up very well to my abuse and is the most comfortable, adjustable system I've used. Kyle (the owner) is a great guy and has been fantastic to deal with. My only complaint is with my folding mechanism but it is made by Ace so that complaint doesn't really count.

IMG_9120.jpg

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you truly have a *long action* Savage 110 in 308, you might have trouble with a chassis system built for a Savage long action.

Savage 110s that came from the factory in a short action caliber (223/308 family) are older flat back, staggerfeed (magazine attached to action) actions and have a shorter mag well opening that 'traditional' 110 long actions that came in 270, 30-06, etc. In a chassis such as the XLR made for a Savage long action, you'll be required to use AICS pattern 300WM magazines and the shorter mag well of Long Action/SA cartridge 110s precludes using those magazines unless you have the mag opening milled out.

Another option if you do in fact have a "short" long action is getting a 'traditional' stock like a Manners or McMillan, and utilizing CDI Precision's Savage Long Action/308 mag box DBM. I use one on my long action 223AI with AICS 223 magazines, and it works great; would also work great with AICS 308 magazines.

Hmm thanks for the info, i did not know that. I will defiantly be doing more research to find out if my rifle is a short or long action. What is the best way to find out if you have a short or long action ?

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've been running and XLR for a couple of years now. It's held up very well to my abuse and is the most comfortable, adjustable system I've used. Kyle (the owner) is a great guy and has been fantastic to deal with. My only complaint is with my folding mechanism but it is made by Ace so that complaint doesn't really count.

IMG_9120.jpg

Wow, that is a beautiful set up you have there. What optics are you running on that rifle ?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I don't personally own one but have shot a rifle that was using the system and its very nice. Built very well an solid. I would love to get one for my Howa, But looks like Ill have to go with a B&C for it instead. Due to price. But those XLR's are very nice. If you can afford one Id say get it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

IMG_9120.jpg

Dang it I want one of those tripods BAD!!!! Still out of stock.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Indycobalt19 said:
    What is the best way to find out if you have a short or long action ?

Measure the action screws...the screw from the front of the trigger guard to the one forward of that, just aft of the recoil lug.

A long action is 5.062", a centerfeed (magazine affixed in stock) short action is 4.41", a staggerfeed (magazine attached to action) short action is 4.27".

Post a close picture of the action, one with the bolt closed and and another bolt open, and I can probably identify it for ya.

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Measure the action screws...the screw from the front of the trigger guard to the one forward of that, just aft of the recoil lug.

A long action is 5.062", a centerfeed (magazine affixed in stock) short action is 4.41", a staggerfeed (magazine attached to action) short action is 4.27".

Post a close picture of the action, one with the bolt closed and and another bolt open, and I can probably identify it for ya.

I will post pictures of the action asap. I am currently at work right now so i am not able to. Thanks for the advice

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The good news about Kyle & XLR Industries is that if he doesn't already make a chassis for your specific rifle you can send it in and he'll make one for it. He really is a great guy to work with.

My scope is a US Optics SN3 TPAL 3.2-17x.

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Here she is ... I measured it and it was around 5 inches. It also has a staggered internal magazine that holds 5 rounds. So I am thinking it is a long action? Will the xlr evolution chassis still work with this?

here is one with the bolt closed:
    yl6o4.jpg

here is one with the bolt open:
    33bzvqo.jpg

and here is one of me measuring with a ruler:
    23jldsz.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You're probably going to need to call XLR and see if they can make something for you, as the mag cutout on that action is shorter than a "normal" Savage 110 long action, precluding use of AICS 300WM magazines that pretty much all long action chassis systems require.

CDI Precision does make a very good Savage long action/308 mag box DBM that will work great with that action, should you decide to go the traditional stock route.

Last edited:

Indycobalt19

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    That is most certainly a long action 110 with "short action" mag cutout & magazine...

You're probably going to need to call XLR and see if they can make something for you, as the mag cutout on that action is shorter than a "normal" Savage 110 long action, precluding use of AICS 300WM magazines that pretty much all long action chassis systems require.

CDI Precision does make a very good Savage long action/308 mag box DBM that will work great with that action, should you decide to go the traditional stock route.

Hmm, well i will defiantly have to call XLR and see what they can do. Thanks for all the help again :yesway:

ToddR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    Fishers
    This is an older thread but for the benefit of others who may be going down the path of buying a modular chassis, here are a few opinion points.

I spent about 3 months investigating chassis systems. I own a Savage Model 10 FCP-K (lefty) in .308. After reading blogs and forums, I narrowed it down to Choate and XLR.

My XLR Element arrived in the mail last night and I had it installed in about 7 minutes. I will be going to Atterbury this weekend and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

The owner of XLR is a guy named Kyle Miller. He was excellent to deal with and I would most certainly recommend him for future business.

If others are interested in further details of the product or installation, please let me know and I will happily offer more info.

toddhrog "@" gmail.com

Top Bottom