• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I'm having an issue with the slide release on my XD. It's very difficult to get it to work. On occasion I can get it to go on the first time, but more than not it I end up having to drop the mag and use both hands to get it to go. Is this a common issue on these that will get better as the gun gets "broken in"(used more)? Or is it something that a good oiling/lubing would fix? Thanks in advance, I'll hang up and listen to the answer

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm having an issue with the slide release on my XD. It's very difficult to get it to work. On occasion I can get it to go on the first time, but more than not it I end up having to drop the mag and use both hands to get it to go. Is this a common issue on these that will get better as the gun gets "broken in"(used more)? Or is it something that a good oiling/lubing would fix? Thanks in advance, I'll hang up and listen to the answer

You're trying to use it to release the slide after it locks on an empty mag, right? Slide releases can often be tight at first and often loosen up after some use. A little grease on the engagement edge of the release or on the notch on the slide might help out until it loosens up. My XD9c had a tight slide release at first, but it has loosened up.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If it's new which I assume it is. It will take some time to break in. I have had other guns that where the same way.

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Its the same thing as the sicky bolt on the mosin, grease it. also take it apart see if there are any obstructions.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Does Springfield consider it a "Slide Release" or as Glock does a " Slide Lock"?

The reason I ask is, it could have been designed to only hold the slide back on an empty mag, and not to be manipulated by the thumb. In that case the gun was designed to rack the slide back on a fresh mag to load a new round, rather than use the slide lock/release.

But either way the more you work it, I would think that it would break in as the parts wear to each other more.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My XD9 was very tight to begin with as well, but with plenty of shooting, it will now automatically release when a loaded mag is slapped in.

Just keep shooting, and time should fix it. Until then, perhaps you could apply the method described by jd4320t, of simply pulling back on the slide with your off hand and releasing. If the mag is loaded, the slide should chamber the round nicely.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I have one and recommend giving it a thousand round trigger job. That will probably loosen everything up to where it will work easier. This sounds tighter than mine was when I first got it though.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Does Springfield consider it a "Slide Release" or as Glock does a " Slide Lock"?

The reason I ask is, it could have been designed to only hold the slide back on an empty mag, and not to be manipulated by the thumb. In that case the gun was designed to rack the slide back on a fresh mag to load a new round, rather than use the slide lock/release.

But either way the more you work it, I would think that it would break in as the parts wear to each other more.

This^

You should think of it more as a slide "stop" and train using your weak hand to pull back on the slide and let it go to send it back into battery. If you are having a hard time with it now, imagine how difficult it may turn out to be in a stressful self-defense situation.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Hadn't thought about pulling the slide back with a loaded mag, will have to try that. If I remember correctly, that won't work on an empty mag, right? Either way, I think I figured out what was wrong. Was trying to push the lever down on the outside vs the top of it. Once I started pressing the top of the the lever it started going first time. Still a little tight, but nothing that my thumb can't handle. Thanks for the replies, but I guess this one was user error:)

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Like others have said it is very tight when just using your thumb. You need to pull back on the slide to release some tension unless you just want to get a lot of thumb workout.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Hadn't thought about pulling the slide back with a loaded mag, will have to try that. If I remember correctly, that won't work on an empty mag, right? Either way, I think I figured out what was wrong. Was trying to push the lever down on the outside vs the top of it. Once I started pressing the top of the the lever it started going first time. Still a little tight, but nothing that my thumb can't handle. Thanks for the replies, but I guess this one was user error:)

No it won't work with an empty Mag. The follower is designed to engage the Slide Stop, which is what causes the slide to stay back after your last round from that magazine.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with several of the other posters...it is more a "slide stop" than a "slide release". I have always racked the slide after a magazine reload...it is very positive and reduces "catch" wear on the slide stop.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township

I would recommend taking a basic defensive pistol class. Your instructor will more than likely explain the benefits of manually pulling the slide back. It will give you a good chance to practice in a self-defense reload situation.

And you will probably find that training is addictive:D

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    I would recommend taking a basic defensive pistol class. Your instructor will more than likely explain the benefits of manually pulling the slide back. It will give you a good chance to practice in a self-defense reload situation.

And you will probably find that training is addictive:D

Agree, would like to take one...or two...or three...or, well you get the idea. What good is having a gun if you don't know how to Steven Seagal during the Zombie Acopolypse. Seriously though, need to find a good one that won't break the bank. Trying to learn all I can because I have shot before, but I'm fairly new to the whole sidearm world

Top Bottom