• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adsVA83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've hunted white tail here in Indiana with bow and shotgun, but have not shot any hi-power rifles. I have shot plenty a .22, shotguns, handguns but not any of the larger caliber rifles. I'm going to Wyoming in October with some family friends to hunt mule deer. I'm wanting a cheap but reliable rifle to take, say $400 or less range.

Any suggestions on caliber and guns in this price range, I have a scope already so I don't need a combo package. I want something I can take to the range and get sighted in without having to replace my shoulder, say a 300 win mag would do. I was looking at the .270 round, what's the recoil for that round? I would assume the gun has a lot to do with it as well? I'm guessing a polymer stock .270 will kick much more than a solid wood stock.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Stevens 200, Marlin X7, Savage Model 11/111 (maybe) would fit in the price range. Savage Axis would also fit. I've not seen the Street price on the Ruger American yet.

.270 would be a good choice, as is .30-06 and about two dozen others, but those two would probably be the most popular.

7mm-08 is an extremely versatile and accurate cartridge and for mule deer it would probably be my choice for a $400 rifle. Recoil is less that the .270 and .30-06, yet the 7mm-08 shoots flat and 7mm bullets have great ballistics and sectional density. Because of the smaller case and a more efficient burn, it's also more tolerant of a shorter barrel, which weighs less, but is stiffer (all else being equal) which can mean better accuracy.

Usually the "cheap" rifles are somewhat limited in cartridge choice... .243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, .308 Win, .25-06, .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, and that's about it. If elk hunting is in your future I think I would choose the .30-06 or one of the Magnums, but all except the .243, and maybe the .25-06 would still be viable choices for elk.

Not much recoil difference between wood and plastic. More important is how it fits you. In your price range, unless you buy used, it's going to be polymer.

If I were doing a "Wyoming" rifle for myself, just to be different, I think it would be the .280 Rem, .284 Win, or the .338-06, and a .25 WSSM for pronghorn.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    .270 or .30-06 would be the best choices and will take any critter you'll find on this continent. My personal big game rifle is a 7x57 Mauser which has less power than the '06.

The Ruger American can be had for $399 or less; availability is a little slim. Functionally and aesthetically I prefer them to the Savage, but I've not heard anything about the accuracy yet.

adsVA83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will never rule out a used gun if it was well cared for. If I can get a little better rifle used for the same price as a lower end brand new one, then that's the route I'll go. I just need to start looking around, putting them in my hands, against my shoulder to find which one fits me best.

johnwayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    I used to live in Wyoming and Montana and have killed lots of muledeer, antelope, and elk.

For mulies and antelope anything from a .243 Win and up is fine. It is big country and range estimation will be quite difficult, so the flatter shooting the better. A 25'06 with 100 gr bullets would be excellent. You will see lots of deer and they aren't hard to kill. Wyoming produces some monster bucks.

If you want a cartridge that is also good for elk then go .270 Win and up. Use heavy for caliber bullets- 150 gr in .270, 160 gr in 7mm, 180 gr in .308.

After much experience I ended up using a lightweight 308 Win bolt action with 140 gr Barnes X bullets. Barnes X bullets kill like no other. Because they retain their weight after impact a lighter weight bullet is fine as it will still penetrate well.

Magnums are not necessary. The 7mm Rem or Weatherby Magnums kick about like a stiffly loaded 30'06 so they are tolerable but from 30 cal and up they hurt too much to shoot well.

Success is all about putting the bullet in the right place and then having good penetration. If
    the bullet expands well and penetrates through the vitals any size bullet will work. Too much recoil leads to inacurracy. Tourists use magnums, locals don't.

Clothing is more important than what gun you use. Get some good non-cotton long johns and a wool shirt and wool pants, and wool socks. No cotton anywhere! Cotton kills! I got my wool hunting pants from an army-navy surplus store for $10. I used suspenders instead of a belt. Good boots that are broken in are essential, as is a warm hat.

Physical conditioning is a must. Stair climbing machines and air chairs will help a lot if you will be in the mountains. If you are in the high plains the going will be easier.

The main thing is to have fun.

Good luck

Good Luck

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    there are alot of calibers that will work fine. one being the 270. id probably get a rifle that would be somthing i could use here aswell like the 308.

it will do great on mulies, and do great back here target shooting. if you ever decide to hunt somthing larger like elk it will do great there to.

its been said before and i buy it 100% that "the 308 is the best at absolutly nothing, but its good at absolutly everything"

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Just to be a dork I'd probably take my Ishapore Enfield in 7.62x51 (.308). Can't think a mule deer would take much more than a white tail. .308 will take down a T Rex or a 747, I tells ya!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Choices are myriad...

Cartridges that you can buy at any Walmart would be high on my list, though, for cost savings.

.308 or .270 would be what I'd think about. My buddy has a Rem 710 (don't scoff, that rifle's a shooter) in .270. It's a real honey pie to shoot. Seems that .270 is a little more expensive than .308.

-J-

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Another vote for .308, I bought a Savage Axis combo with a Bushnell scope for 399. For the money it is the best bang for the buck in my opion. While being a little limited with the scope it comes with I have shot it accurately out to 225 yards.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Lots of good advice already here so I won't rehash that. Only thing I will add is purchase a good set of shooting sticks and practice with them from various positions and angles. We've hunted big game in a ton of locations and the sticks have been used on 99 percent of our shots. Accurate shot placement is vastly more important than quibbling over a few grains of bullet weight or muzzle velocity IMHO.

adsVA83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all of the advice, especially on the clothing required. I wear wool dress pants and they are amazingly comfortable. I never would have thought to get some hunting pants as well.

Just curious, what part of Wyoming are you heading to?
    -We're going to the Glendo, WY area. I'm going with a family friend who has been making this an annual trip for 15 years. Pretty much all I have to do is show up the morning we leave, bring my gear and take my turn driving.

I was also given the same advice from someone else to get a set of shooting sticks. My goal is to get a gun in the next few weeks and put as many rounds through it as I can to get very comfortable with it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Great post and I agree with most of what's been said. In summary, .270, .308 or 7mm-08, 30-06. Just to throw an oddball out there, I'd even say a .257 Weatherby -- not as practical or accessible ammo though. The practical side of me leans towards the .270 because the recoil is very manageable, ammo is everywhere, and it shoots flat.
    For the rifles nobody has mentioned the Thompson/Center VEnture - which runs about $450. If you had another $150 or so I would highly recommend a Tikka T3 Lite, great gun for the money.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Been going to WY for 19 years. It is beautiful and I hope to live there someday. Our area just 100-150 miles north of you (black hills NF) has been decreasing deer numbers for several years now. It seems the Lions are eating many deer along with disease and bad winter in 2011. We will not be making the trip this year because we cannot get a license and the usual extra doe/fawn bonus license are non-existant due to the herd decrease. I wish you luck and have fun. Prepare for temps from 80 to -30...I have seen that range in as little as three days.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Uhhhhh.....

Anything here, in Indiana, that you can hunt with a .308 you can also hunt with a .270... :popcorn:

i was refering more to the target pratice side of use here in indiana not the hunting side of use here in indiana. not that you cant target pratice witha 270 but the 308 will be cheaper and easier to find ammo for

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    i was refering more to the target pratice side of use here in indiana not the hunting side of use here in indiana. not that you cant target pratice witha 270 but the 308 will be cheaper and easier to find ammo for
    Nah...

UPS will bring both right to your front door for you... :D

Top Bottom