Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    From another forum, and one of the dropped states is Indiana

TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
    All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous
    statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.
    Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    I have been to Wyoming a few times before I had my LTCH. Its a beautiful state with mountains and lots of rolling hills. The drive through the state wheather you run I-80 across it or I-15 north and south, its a really boring drive as exits are far inbetween. Seems like such an empty state would have very few gun laws in my opinion. I would suggest to anyone if they had the chance, to go there and see what its like out in the wide open.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I almost agree with Wyoming. Not that they won't honor Indiana LTCH permits, but that a drug conviction should make you ineligible to hold a permit. I almost think that you would have to have some kind of exclusion. Say perhaps any conviction past the age of 25. (Taking into account the "young, dumb and not real bright" theory.) I don't know if you could implement such an exclusion or not. If you do then someone wants to know why not 26....or why not 30.... Perhaps if it were a misdemeanor conviction you could just ban them from holding a permit for 5 years....or after a second conviction. There comes a time when one has to exercise self control. My own personal opinion is the same ineligibility should hold for DUI convictions as well. Again, this is just my personal opinion and I'm not going to get into a urinating match as to why marijuana should or should not be legalized. That wasn't my intentions of this post. It's just my opinion....nothing more. Don't take it as a personal attack....because it's not. There's nothing personal about it.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I almost agree with Wyoming. Not that they won't honor Indiana LTCH permits, but that a drug conviction should make you ineligible to hold a permit. I almost think that you would have to have some kind of exclusion. Say perhaps any conviction past the age of 25. (Taking into account the "young, dumb and not real bright" theory.) I don't know if you could implement such an exclusion or not. If you do then someone wants to know why not 26....or why not 30.... Perhaps if it were a misdemeanor conviction you could just ban them from holding a permit for 5 years....or after a second conviction. There comes a time when one has to exercise self control. My own personal opinion is the same ineligibility should hold for DUI convictions as well. Again, this is just my personal opinion and I'm not going to get into a urinating match as to why marijuana should or should not be legalized. That wasn't my intentions of this post. It's just my opinion....nothing more. Don't take it as a personal attack....because it's not. There's nothing personal about it.

Unless they have a conviction that included the use of a gun, there should not be any restrictions to owning a firearm for convicted felons. :twocents:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have been to Wyoming a few times before I had my LTCH. Its a beautiful state with mountains and lots of rolling hills. The drive through the state wheather you run I-80 across it or I-15 north and south, its a really boring drive as exits are far inbetween. Seems like such an empty state would have very few gun laws in my opinion. I would suggest to anyone if they had the chance, to go there and see what its like out in the wide open.

:+1:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Unless they have a conviction that included the use of a gun, there should not be any restrictions to owning a firearm for convicted felons. :twocents:
    Absolutely. Any time one uses a firearm during the commission of a crime they should be to old to hold a gun by the time one got out of prison. Or even the implication that one had a firearm during that crime. Mandatory sentencing guidelines. No plea bargains available.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    As a Colorado man for most of his life, and Lord willing, soon to be again, Wyoming is one of our great states, not just for it's amazing land, but also for the attitude. You want a "live and let live" attitude, where your business is nobody's and the Federal government is an abstract concept until they start messing with you? Wyoming and Alaska are very similar. Wyoming, however, feels like they're all alone, forgotten, and they like to do things their own way. I suspect, though, that when their own citizens find out how many states will now refuse to honor Wyoming permits, they'll make their feelings known and it will change back.

Don't hate Wyoming. Wyoming LIVES the 2nd Amendment, believe me.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'll be going through Wyoming this summer on my way to Utah. Glad my Utah permit is on its way. :D I recommend going to Jim Floyd's class for the Utah permit. Worth the class fee. With the exception of the passport photo, you get everything you need to submit the Utah application including fingerprints and the pre-addressed envelope (OK - you have to add your own postage :rolleyes:).

Info here --> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...cfp_course_in_indy_-_feb_26th.html#post208871

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The governor of Wyoming, Dave Freudenthal (D), does appoint the state's Attorney General and he did endorse Obama's White House bid. He got his start in politics when he was appointed by Bill Clinton as US Attorney for Wyoming back in 1994.

Does anyone else see a pattern here? The rest of Wyoming may tend toward conservative, but certainly not the Governor and his cronies.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Does anyone else see a pattern here? The rest of Wyoming may tend toward conservative, but certainly not the Governor and his cronies.

If the residents are so conservative then why would they have voted for him. Didn't they look at his platform, perhaps listen to his beliefs, or even reseach his opinions.

Either the majorit of the voters agree with him, or they voted irresponibly.

"Chickens are coming home to roost America"

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I've been following a discussion of this subject over on Defensivecarry.com. Some of the thread participants were doing quite a bit of "organizing" that included communication to Wy state legislators, Dept of Tourism, and the Chamber of Commerce for some of the towns that rely heavily on tourism for $$. Looks like it's worked at least for now. The Wy AG has changed its stance on reciprocity. :rockwoot:
    Here is where the thread discusses the change and includes a link to the new statement by the Wy AG:
    DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum - View Single Post - Is Wyoming Reciprocity Changing?

Top Bottom