WWII Nose Art Project (s).. and MORE!.. Losts of pics..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    So-Cal ~ Huntington Beach
    Hey team..

It’s just that weird guy from So-Cal again :rolleyes:.. This time I just thought I would share some pics of my latest project’s, there pretty cool if you’re into WWII nose art. :dunno:

The first on is an access panel some guys wanted painted up and of course I was more than happy to take their money..

Materials used.

Everything is from the “House of Kolor”
    • Flesh tone base FT-B
    • SG 105 Blue blood
    • BC 25 black
    • BC 26 White
    • FT-03 Flesh shadow (Red shade)
    • SG 100 Urethane Intercoat clear

I’m staring out with actual piece of aircraft grade aluminum siding / sheeting.. I had to cut it size, 18”x18” filed the edges and wet sand it before it I had it just right..

IMG_6518.jpg

Now I’m cleaning it, I started out with 400gr and worked my way to 1000 wet sanding, then I buffed it all out with rubbing compound, no polish or wax..

IMG_6521.jpg

Before I attempted to spray anything I laid down one coat of Adhesion Promoter (Bulldog) & two coats of intercoat clear, then I’m proceeding to paint up the basic outline here of the overall design at this point.

Here I’ve got base design complete with bullet holes, kill signs and of course a name. I’m now laying out my outline for my 60 + rivets..

IMG_6536.jpg

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Ok now the rivets are complete (enough) I’m heading back in and shading in the pin-up girl.. Please note I’m been married for 19 years and two kids (hence) / ie I forget what a young beautiful woman looks like so I shaded to memory.. :D

Ok.. so now that I’ve gone over it all one more time to fix all the small imperfections (lots of them!) it finaly time to warp it up the project and move on to my next one.

Before the Seal coat!.

After the seal coat which = another completed project.. (yahh for me!)..

So what do you think ?? Please feel free to speek up if you see something that was wrong.. I’m always open of opinions.. (good or bad!)..

Last edited:

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    This is a fender in did up in a P-40 motif.. I was really happy with how this one turned out…

Rear.. In honor of the GREAT (Fighting 31)

IMG_6494.jpg

Front: My Version of the P-40.. (hope you like it)..

It's called the "Pluck you 2".. ;)

IMG_6486.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

Well team that’s all I have to report for now.. as alwalys it’s my pleasure and honor to able to post my stuff up here.. thank you all for your time and please stay tuned for my next two projects..

Last edited:

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    The first project (yes I’ve gone off the deep end!) I’m actually doing a Tele in a (Modern Abstract Expressionism) look..

Here is my inspiration pieces..

For the second project I’m going to be painting up a large sheet of aircraft grade aluminum siding 18”x 42” as it was truly painted on the plane.. I’ll have over 300 rivets, several bullets holes, I’ll have a fire extinguisher hatch, a emergency rescue lettering, pilots call sign and of course a larger than life pinup girl…

Here are my inspiration pieces for this project. This is going to be fun project for me.. (yahh me!).. and INGO :ingo:

Thank you so much for your time team and have a great one everybody!..

Linkpimp.. AKA the weird guy from So-Cal..

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    It all looks great to me :rockwoot: You have more artistic talent in your pinky than I could ever compete with. Im a WW2 buff myself, and would say good job recreating the nose art scenes without giving them too much modern touch. All looks great, keep postin them up for us to see :popcorn:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We went out to my GF's moms' house one time and she had told me of some pictures of her dad in the pacific during WWII. They dug them out and it was pretty cool, he was an army mechanic all over the pacific, none of his letters named the islands that he had been on but in one picture you can see a very clear outline of Surabachi (sp?). Anyway several of his pictures are of nose art on various planes, unfortunately the pics were all b&w but still cool! The neatest part was that we were out at the air show at Mt Comfort two years ago and on the nose of a B-25 was the same artwork as in one of the photos her dad had. I want to get all of the pictures restored and copied one of these days but you know how that goes!

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    It all looks great to me You have more artistic talent in your pinky than I could ever compete with. Im a WW2 buff myself, and would say good job recreating the nose art scenes without giving them too much modern touch. All looks great, keep postin them up for us to see

Thank you Six Shooter.. I'll keep posting them up.. way cool.. I'm glad you like, there are really fun projects to do and the best part is I get to do tons of research on all of this stuff..

Thanks for your time big guy and have a great weekend

Link..

We went out to my GF's moms' house one time and she had told me of some pictures of her dad in the pacific during WWII. They dug them out and it was pretty cool, he was an army mechanic all over the pacific, none of his letters named the islands that he had been on but in one picture you can see a very clear outline of Surabachi (sp?). Anyway several of his pictures are of nose art on various planes, unfortunately the pics were all b&w but still cool! The neatest part was that we were out at the air show at Mt Comfort two years ago and on the nose of a B-25 was the same artwork as in one of the photos her dad had. I want to get all of the pictures restored and copied one of these days but you know how that goes!

Hey Femurphy..
    That's cool.. I love things like that.. I actually ran into a WWII vet about a week ago and we talked for about an hour or so great guy.. He made me promise that I would take my next Nose art project down to the vets center so everyone can see it.. I'm looking forward to the trip.. if you guys want I can post pics of that felid day too?? I'm bringing my boy maybe something will rob off on him..

Anyway got way of track there sorry... Hey thanks for your time sir, I'm glad you like it but they get better.. Please stay tuned for my next / new ongoing project.. The Solute to the Nine 0 Nine..

Link

I just hate people with talent! Shouldn't be allowed on INGO. Bunch of showoffs that make people like me look bad!

Dang, I wish I could paint like that

anim_rofl2.gif
    anim_rofl2.gif
    ... I'm sorry..
    greensupergrin.gif

Thanks thou..
    wavey1.gif

Great work. Time consuming and detailed!

Thanks Sigsense... I really enjoy each project.. I love the detail work, but it is a little weird getting up close an personnel with a pin-girl without the standard dinner and a drink first..
    10.gif
    Hahahahaaa...

Have a great one sir and thanks again for stopping by and checking it out..

Link.

WOW!! your AWESOME!!!! I want to buy one of those nose art pieces from you!!

party.gif
    Cool.. I shot you a PM.. Hopefully we can work something out..
    wink2.gif

Thanks for your time and I'm glad you like it..

Link..

linkpimp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Well team, I’ve started on my life size panel here , it 18” x 40” I’m doing this one in a Nine 0 Nine theme.. it should look really COOL when it complete.:ingo:. this weekend or next week.. I’ll be sure to post up the thread when it’s all complete for your review..

Hey thanks for your time everybody and have a great weekend..

Link..

Project Inspiration:

B-17G-909-Nose-Art.jpg

Some quick facts about the Nine O Nine:
    B-17G 42-31909
    323BS, 91BG 8th AF
    This B-17 completed 140 missions without once having to turn back for mechanical reasons.

Let the good time begin..

IMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have been a WW2 aircraft buff since I was a kid. Always liked the nose art and pin ups. Very nice work. If you start to sell them let me know.

Top Bottom