B-17PurdueAirportLafSept072008099.jpg

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Cool

I'd like to take that flight. So far, close as I've come is a visit to The 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah, GA. I have been lucky enough to see a couple of them in the air, low and slow. The engines are musical!

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    It's truly a historical experience. I've done flight experiences with the Collings Foundation in both the B-17 (2001) and the B-24 (took the grandson on the B-24 when he was 10 in 2002) and loved both of them. Both rides took place in California over Memorial Day weekends.

sVht9Sq.jpg

4izKCMT.jpg

I'd like to do the the P-51 but it's really, really expensive.

b7lvDo6.jpg

They'll be back in the Midwest in July for anyone that's interested.

ruggiedj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    The only flying B-29 is coming to Cincinnati soon and will offer flights also. It's a bit expensive but for those interested it would be a once in a lifetime event.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Rides were 425.00 for 30 min. a guy said if my wife wanted to go it would be 250.00 for her....nice. But turned it down. Think they will be making one more flight Sunday if anyone is still interested.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Awesome. Thanks for sharing DG. If you don't mind I post it, check out the power plant for this beast.
    Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress - USA

I got to the airport before the first flight went out so I got to watch and help with the pre flight prep. It was my understanding that they did this back in WW2 as well. They turn each prop by hand 12 (IIRC) times to ensure that none of the cyclinders are hydro locked with oil. Being radial engines, the bottom cylinders were prone to fill up with oil.

B-17PurdueAirportLafSept072008029.jpg

I was honestly surprised at how small these planes were and how slow they fly. I'd never seen one in person before. Another intersting thing was the exposed cabling system for the tail flaps and rudder. They warned us as we were up and walking around not to reach up for something to hold on to and grab one of those cables.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    The Collings Foundation's Wings of Freedom Tour is making the rounds again. Today it's in the West Lafayette area and tomorrow it moves to Dayton, OH. B-25, B-24, B-17 and a P-51 will be there for tours and flights.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The Collings Foundation's Wings of Freedom Tour is making the rounds again. Today it's in the West Lafayette area and tomorrow it moves to Dayton, OH. B-25, B-24, B-17 and a P-51 will be there for tours and flights.

Was in Valpo last weekend. I live relatively close to the airport, so I was treated to having the warbirds flying over my house all day Saturday. I love it.

Top Bottom