• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    We have one in the shop, NIB CQ model and we have ammo and extra mags.

Yes I looked at yours on the 19th and it is still in the running but not sure if I want a bolt action or semi and do I want the long barrel or the short. I am leaning towards the 29 inch bolt action but am still open to ideas.

I would also rather find a used one and not take the hit on a new one if I dont have to. I was kinda hoping to find one that someone is tired off and be a good deal to both parties

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes I looked at yours on the 19th and it is still in the running but not sure if I want a bolt action or semi and do I want the long barrel or the short. I am leaning towards the 29 inch bolt action but am still open to ideas.

I would also rather find a used one and not take the hit on a new one if I dont have to. I was kinda hoping to find one that someone is tired off and be a good deal to both parties

Ha! 50s hold their value very well. You're more likely to find someone who is desperate for cash :)

Keep in mind that 30-32" is the minimum generally needed to do 1000 yard precision shooting.

Hope you get a rifle regardless, the .50bmg is addicting to shoot and expensive to feed...

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    Ha! 50s hold their value very well. You're more likely to find someone who is desperate for cash :)

Keep in mind that 30-32" is the minimum generally needed to do 1000 yard precision shooting.

Hope you get a rifle regardless, the .50bmg is addicting to shoot and expensive to feed...

While I would settle for Desperate for cash I am not holding my breath as If someone owns a 50 they dont need money as a general rule of thumb

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    7 dollars a round is a bit steep.

(sorry to the OP for the hijack)

If you're paying $7 a round you're buying top of the line match ammo.

Right now $2.75 plinking ammo can be found if you look hard enough and don't mind shooting API (and have a safe place to shoot it...), and typical is $3.25-4@ for decent quality ammo. You want steep ammo prices, try the 20mm... I'm reloading .50bmg for $.95@ for plinking and $~3 for match, not counting brass costs.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    (sorry to the OP for the hijack)

If you're paying $7 a round you're buying top of the line match ammo.

Right now $2.75 plinking ammo can be found if you look hard enough and don't mind shooting API (and have a safe place to shoot it...), and typical is $3.25-4@ for decent quality ammo. You want steep ammo prices, try the 20mm... I'm reloading .50bmg for $.95@ for plinking and $~3 for match, not counting brass costs.

You are fine on the hijack that sounds pretty cheap on reloads Iam gettign giddy thinking about it. I will start looking for brass and bullets and suplies and build up a inventory till i find my rifle.

BTW how many reloads can you get out of brass

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    BTW, Cabela's has CCI 50BMG primers on sale for $120 per 500, which is stupid cheap. Plus they have them in stock!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    You are fine on the hijack that sounds pretty cheap on reloads Iam gettign giddy thinking about it. I will start looking for brass and bullets and suplies and build up a inventory till i find my rifle.

BTW how many reloads can you get out of brass

Last year I got 19 reloads out of a piece of TW-4 brass in my LAR Grizzly shooting a 647 gr winchester projectile with CCI#35, with 218gr H50bmg (light load). Most people get 5-10 loadings for normal loads, and you'll get less out of a semi-auto.

The best value for reloading gear is the Lee .50bmg kit (you just missed a Midway sale on them).

Keep in mind that you HAVE to resize pulled projectiles (you can buy them resized).

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    My buddy is trying to tak me into a bolt action,which is not out of the question but have to find one I like

Is there a special die to resize the bullets

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    My buddy is trying to tak me into a bolt action,which is not out of the question but have to find one I like

Is there a special die to resize the bullets

It doesn't come with the Lee kit, but the die isn't that expensive.

I have 2 .50s right now, the LAR Grizzly and the Bohica. I used to have an AR50. The LAR just fits me well, even though it isn't as accurate as the AR50. The AR50 is a monster to store. I liked it, but it didn't fit me as well. Honestly the Barrett bolt actions aren't generally that well thought of among the precision .50 community for the money. I'd love to have an M82 and enough money in the bank to feed it.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    It doesn't come with the Lee kit, but the die isn't that expensive.

I have 2 .50s right now, the LAR Grizzly and the Bohica. I used to have an AR50. The LAR just fits me well, even though it isn't as accurate as the AR50. The AR50 is a monster to store. I liked it, but it didn't fit me as well. Honestly the Barrett bolt actions aren't generally that well thought of among the precision .50 community for the money. I'd love to have an M82 and enough money in the bank to feed it.

Well what would you have me look at ? I am new to the 50 and have never even fired one, but want one for future investment purpose, must be high quality,I belive in buy once cry once

Splagt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The AR-50 is considerably cheaper then the Barrett, and is a more realistic investment, IMHO. I've had one for several years, and began handloading when the surplus ammo started drying up. Although it is admittedly long and heavy, it is accurate for long distance and the felt recoil is no worse than a 3 inch 12 gauge round. One thousand yard shots are not that difficult, with a good glass.
    Try Knob Creek in April for good deals on powder and projectiles. And as the other poster mentioned, the Lee Classic press is the way to go.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    i have a barret 99 an ar50 and a vulcan the barret and the vulcan are probably forsale . My ar 50 shoots excellent and they can be had for about 1500 less than a barret 99

Top Bottom