WOW, idiot shot a dog in a neighborhood.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I don't care who's dog is in my yard, I could care less if its big or small if it comes running towards me.. Its going to be shot if i feel...

They asked if you read because the dog was shot from someone in a different yard so your post has no bearing on the issue at hand. so if a dog tears at you but has an invisible fence and will stop short of the sidewalk, will you shoot it after the first step or wait to see if it will threaten your personal space?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    They asked if you read because the dog was shot from someone in a different yard so your post has no bearing on the issue at hand. so if a dog tears at you but has an invisible fence and will stop short of the sidewalk, will you shoot it after the first step or wait to see if it will threaten your personal space?

I have to admit, the way you phrased it, I'd definitely react after the first step.

The problem with an invisible fence would be that which gives it its name.
    That said, this is malice pure and simple, it sounds like.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I appreciate you pointing this out, I was a little confused honestly. I will admit its a sad story because it involves a pit

Well honestly, I didn't see any proof that the dog wasn't ever in the owners yard, if there was a dog fight etc. For all i know he shot it in his front yard, and the dog continued over to the owners yard. Ever been deer hunting or hear the stories deer hunters tell... Unless i read wrong the lady at the Alleged shooters was all sorts of frantic. I wasn't there. It appears to be the owner of the 38 was irresponsible. Again i wasn't there. I can think of at least half a dozen reasons why shooting across a roadway is a bad idea.

Of course not first step on to my property. Only if and only if i felt it was a treat of some sort to me my dog or my property. My personal space on my property is 25 feet to a dog i am not accustomed to, assuming the dog is growling, showing its teeth or is foaming at the mouth.. Dogs can move quick.

I don't mean to come off as weird, but As a child i had a dog take a nasty little chunk out of my face. It was a small dog, and seemed friendly and then it snapped.. No my family did not sue the owner could have easily, but my family nor i am a sue happy kinda person. **** happens. If my own dog really bit me and not playfully, i would be forced put her down. I do love my pit bull, and this is the most playful and well mannered dog i have ever had.

So if you did get bit by a dog with rabies what is the protocol that a doctor would treat you?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    huh

So wait, a person discharges a firearm in a suburb of indianapolis, Avon no less and there's nothing in the news? Injures or kills a dog and endangers others with a seemingly missed shot and no news? If this turns out to be true, fine, but I'm not biting this one..... Just too many dog posts in the forums of late.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    While I can agree with the sentiment, I can't agree with the facts.

A raging Pomeranian - loose from owner control and charging across the yard at me - isn't going to generate much more than a chuckle and some attention.

The 160 lb Great Pyrenees I once had, charging across the yard at someone, should garner intense attention and a quick plan to act.

While the breed of the canine isn't an automatic indictment of their disposition and a 100% reliable indicator for behavior, canines breeds were selectively bred for specific physical and temperament traits. To ignore that as an observation when assessing a situation for possible risk is irresponsible in your role to protect your loved ones and self.

While I won't presume the owner was a *bad* dog owner because the canine was loose and *not* under the owner's control... it can happen and maybe this was an isolated incident, the truth was told earlier when stated that this situation would *not* have occurred unless the dog had been loose.

Was the shooting justified or foolhardy? If I could make that decision now, with no more facts than are available, I would make a horrible juror.
    Well said.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I remember working at a customers house here awhile back and some big dog from across the street came over to the yard where I working barking and growling. But staying about 10 feet away. I was working with another guy. He told the dog to get on. The dog left for a bit came back again the same snapping attitude. Both times I put my hand in my pocket on my 380. I certainly didn't want to to create an issue until there needed to be one, but I was not far from it. I finally went in and told the home owner. She called her neighbor who finally came out and got her dog.
    My point is Maybe this dog in question had a history of doing the same. I know others have said it was a nice dog, but maybe not to this neighbor. Could make the shoot lean in the direction of getting ready to throw some lead.
    Just more that needs to come out in this story. For starters, the shooter's story.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I just got home, and it's obviously dark. I will be home earlier tomorrow and try to get pics up tomorrow night. I don't know if blood will still be there, but the bullet hole in the door is likely to still be there. I will try to take something which can depict a trajectory. Again, nobody is living in it currently, thankfully.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So wait, a person discharges a firearm in a suburb of indianapolis, Avon no less and there's nothing in the news? Injures or kills a dog and endangers others with a seemingly missed shot and no news? If this turns out to be true, fine, but I'm not biting this one..... Just too many dog posts in the forums of late.
    Yes, because I have so much to gain from making up a story and lying to a bunch of random forum go'ers whom I don't know. :rolleyes:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I thought it was an interesting evening simply because it was the LAST thing I expected when leaving to walk our dog and then were stopped for just long enough prior to the shooting and play with the dog that we were not on the scene when it actually happened. I thought it was a good example to share here as to why one should carry a gun, cell phone, etc at all time because it happens when you LEAST expect it, as I've learned several times in my life.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The more my wife tells me about all the comotion going on while I was helping the dog, the more the shooter seems to hurt his case. I wish I had a way of finding out what happens with it all, whether he gets charged or not, etc. I'm hoping the other witness will hear from the dog owner in the next day or two and shoot me a text to let me know what happened with the dog.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Not the same for you and I...

I have already had the Rabies Vaccination and Boosters... :popcorn:

Yes i know this.. I was just hoping Hoosierdoc would chime in.. No slam or anything I like the guy and never have met him., I just wanted the GP to know what the process was..

BTW i actually bought pop corn so i can browse INGO:popcorn:... MMM buttery popcorn..

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    The more my wife tells me about all the comotion going on while I was helping the dog, the more the shooter seems to hurt his case. I wish I had a way of finding out what happens with it all, whether he gets charged or not, etc. I'm hoping the other witness will hear from the dog owner in the next day or two and shoot me a text to let me know what happened with the dog.
    I have a great idea! You could go on down to the local Police department pay the 1-10 dollars for the police report. I am sure that you have your neighbors name or could quickly find out. All the juicy details you want to know about their findings will be included in the police report.:twocents:
    At least you will have a better understanding at that point than hear say from the neighbors.. But it is cool that I got to read it first on INGO.

As the county flyer has a great way of turning up this info.. Such as a case i remember reading back in the day.. here is a link. I used to live in the avon area.. :popcorn: waiting to see how it all turns out.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

I would also hope that you would like to hear from the shooter as well to get his side of the story before drawing a judgment. :twocents:

Top Bottom