WOW, idiot shot a dog in a neighborhood.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    ^^ Bullets can also change direction by hitting a dog, or bone.
    There was only one impact on the dog and no exit wound. It was also swollen very near that entry wound which indicated to me that it was still logged in his neck. It wasn't directly on the spine/near bone, and so it would have had to have an exit wound to go into the garage door.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Being a pitbull is as irrelevant as a man being black. Labs, Shepards, or even beagles can bite and kill. That being said pitbulls are inherently loving unless you misuse them.

image001.jpg
    Love the skittles in the picture... Great ... umm... I forget the word for it... Bleh.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    There was only one impact on the dog and no exit wound. It was also swollen very near that entry wound which indicated to me that it was still logged in his neck. It wasn't directly on the spine/near bone, and so it would have had to have an exit wound to go into the garage door.

so , the shooters story is there was more than 1 dog?
    he fired 2 shots.. and you have only one dog found so far....
    it does sound like he may have fire at the dogs fighting, and then at the wounded dog..

someone is sure to pull the police report on this one...

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    so , the shooters story is there was more than 1 dog?
    he fired 2 shots.. and you have only one dog found so far....
    it does sound like he may have fire at the dogs fighting, and then at the wounded dog..

someone is sure to pull the police report on this one...

Supposedly. I didn't hear the shooter say anything other than his wife yelling "it's a freakin pitbull" because I was trying to aid the dog. At the moment, I thought the other man helping the dog might be the owner so I helped. My wife, as well as a couple of the others said that the shooters story was that there were two pitbulls fighting or "attacking" another dog, but NOBODY saw ANY other dog nearby, running away, etc other than the one which got shot. :dunno: The other witnesses had a clear line of site to the scene and between all of us, there was no way another dog could have fled the area without SOMEONE seeing another dog. :dunno:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Being a pitbull is as irrelevant as a man being black. Labs, Shepards, or even beagles can bite and kill. That being said pitbulls are inherently loving unless you misuse them.

image001.jpg

Yeah....mine's a real kill'r,hahaha......:):
    Pictures by HarleyRider_50 - Photobucket

Far as the thread go's....got'a go with the OP's view(s)...
    Got 8 dogs,m'self....6 Yorkies(born here) a Beagle (rescued) and a G/Retriever mix(also rescued)
    They're like my "kids".....and I'm tell'n ya....if somebody would try'n harm/kill/or maime 1 of'm.....they better give they azz to whatever God they b'lieve in....and PRAY HARD....'cause I....won't be as forgive'n...trust me.....:cool:

HarleyRider_50

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The OP was a headache to read
    I tried to depict everything as clearly as possible, because it's hard to get everything through only text but as has been pointed out, I still failed in laying out all the details because some readers still interpret things differently.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I give a +1 to the responding officer on this one though. When he arrived a couple of the witnesses immediately tried to tell their story, but with an obvious "finger pointing" at the shooter and the officer's response was simply "you don't know that, let's get all the facts before hand" and he was very respectful. :yesway::yesway::yesway: FAR more professional than any of the IMPD guys I've dealt with over the years.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Geez the guy shot the dog from over 30 feet away because it was a threat. I'm not shooting every dog that barks at me from that distance, wtf, this makes us all look nuts. You can't know that dog is going to bite you from that far and believe me I have been bit before. Taking a shot in a neighborhood like that is crazy, too much chance of the round hitting some kid just because somebody "thought" it was a threat.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Geez the guy shot the dog from over 30 feet away because it was a threat. I'm not shooting every dog that barks at me from that distance, wtf, this makes us all look nuts. You can't know that dog is going to bite you from that far and believe me I have been bit before. Taking a shot in a neighborhood like that is crazy, too much chance of the round hitting some kid just because somebody "thought" it was a threat.

So the the dog supposedly bursted through the door when the kid went outside? And the owner was in hot pursuit? IF this is fact that means they should have seen the shooter at the time shots were fired. And if I were the owner and seen him firing in MY direction towards MY property there would have been some return fire.

So since it is not very clear that the kid and the owner were outside in pursuit of the dog, I would suggest the owner may be lying about how the dog got out and the amount of time the dog was loose.

Some people just hate these breeds and would love a chance to end one's life. I'm not one of those people, but I do believe those dogs still have a tick in their brain that could set them off, even on their masters, and especially towards other dogs and animals.

Hope the shooter gets what he deserves.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I totally agree what breed is irrelevant. A dog is a dog just as a bad guy is a bad guy. A

While I can agree with the sentiment, I can't agree with the facts.

A raging Pomeranian - loose from owner control and charging across the yard at me - isn't going to generate much more than a chuckle and some attention.

The 160 lb Great Pyrenees I once had, charging across the yard at someone, should garner intense attention and a quick plan to act.

While the breed of the canine isn't an automatic indictment of their disposition and a 100% reliable indicator for behavior, canines breeds were selectively bred for specific physical and temperament traits. To ignore that as an observation when assessing a situation for possible risk is irresponsible in your role to protect your loved ones and self.

While I won't presume the owner was a *bad* dog owner because the canine was loose and *not* under the owner's control... it can happen and maybe this was an isolated incident, the truth was told earlier when stated that this situation would *not* have occurred unless the dog had been loose.

Was the shooting justified or foolhardy? If I could make that decision now, with no more facts than are available, I would make a horrible juror.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Looks like a Maltese based on the hair but a Bishon and a Maltese look very similar. We have had 2 Maltese and I still sometimes get the two breeds mixed up just by looking.

Yup, she is a Maltese. 6.5 lbs of fury, but she does have 230gr teeth... :D

Also, I would like to hear the outcome on this. From what the OP said there was a minute between shots; I'm sure a lot of neighbors were peering out to see what happened when they heard the first one, probably lots of witnesses for the second half.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    A raging Pomeranian - loose from owner control and charging across the yard at me - isn't going to generate much more than a chuckle and some attention.

The 160 lb Great Pyrenees I once had, charging across the yard at someone, should garner intense attention and a quick plan to act.

While researching the breed of puppy i just bought we came across some pics of the larger of her breed.

images

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    .....A raging Pomeranian - loose from owner control and charging across the yard at me - isn't going to generate much more than a chuckle and some attention.....

Small dogs still can inflict some serious damage.

The breed is named from Pomerania, formally a region of Europe that now consists areas of present day Germany and Poland, with the dog that served as herders of sheep.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So the other witness who exchanged contact info with me just text me asking if I had heard anything. I said no, I wasn't able to get the owners' contact info before we loaded up the dog and sent them on their way to the vet. He said "animal control" stopped by, asking if he was the owner. I'm assuming the police reported the issue to them as part of their SOP and possibly perhaps "animal control" is part of the ASPCA and that is why they need be involved.:dunno:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Good to know that everyone's already made up their mind about the shooter's guilt.
    Nope

Gun owners are already behind the curve with accusations and wild speculation by the media and anti's. When a discharge happens, as gun owners, wouldn't you like to have the benefit of the doubt until all the facts are in? Doesn't the shooter (or anyone) deserve to not be tried in this manner?
    I would hope that people wouldn't jump all over me before knowing the facts of a case..

Small dogs still can inflict some serious damage.

The breed is named from Pomerania, formally a region of Europe that now consists areas of present day Germany and Poland, with the dog that served as herders of sheep.

I don't care who's dog is in my yard, I could care less if its big or small if it comes running towards me.. Its going to be shot if i feel it is or could be threatening in anyway shape or fashion to me. If its the neighbors dog.. well lets not go there.. Dogs carry diseases and such.. One bite, then you are having to be pumped full of drugs for rabies.. Ever gone threw that.. its not fun, so i am told HoosierDOC tell em.. .. :ar15:Keep your Dogs on a leash people... or fenced in.. Sure your dog may get out but it is always your responsibility, good or bad....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Nope

I would hope that people wouldn't jump all over me before knowing the facts of a case..

I don't care who's dog is in my yard, I could care less if its big or small if it comes running towards me.. Its going to be shot if i feel it is or could be threatening in anyway shape or fashion to me. If its the neighbors dog.. well lets not go there.. Dogs carry diseases and such.. One bite, then you are having to be pumped full of drugs for rabies.. Ever gone threw that.. its not fun, so i am told HoosierDOC tell em.. .. :ar15:Keep your Dogs on a leash people... or fenced in.. Sure your dog may get out but it is always your responsibility, good or bad....
    So, did you even read the thread?

Top Bottom