WOW, idiot shot a dog in a neighborhood.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If facts were to show that the shooter was in fact in the right, absolutely I would change my view. As far as you thinking you know how Im thinking, you are wrong.

I really want to say something here, but I'm already in enough trouble with a select few, that somehow can read my mind to the intent of my postings.

I'll just PM you.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Amazing first person account of a real shooting! I'm so used to seeing a link in such posts, or someone relating a story they heard. Your info is detailed enough to add to the police report IMO.

You didn't see if the dog was acting aggressive with the shooter or not, but as you say, it seems irrelevant at the distance involved. That guy is almost certainly a real idiot for shooting his neighbor's dog like an exterminator. If he was justified, shouldn't he have said more than "It's a pit bull", his first words should have been "It was attacking that kid" or similar.

Do we know of any previous history of that dog that may have put that neighbor on notice?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well, it wasn't really "minutes" later. I would say a MAXIMUM of a minute between the second shot and noticing the dog on the ground after turning the corner. The kid wasn't on a bike, nor was there a bike present and the garage door was closed. The daughter was standing there right next to the parents.

I agree, and usually I advocate whole heartedly for those in self-defense situations. But that is why I chose to write about it. NOTHING about this instance, from what I witnessed and everybody else on the scene even hints at the possibility that this dog was a real threat to the family.

I'm not questioning the accuracy of your account. I appreciate you writing it up here.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    If he was justified, shouldn't he have said more than "It's a pit bull", his first words should have been "It was attacking that kid" or similar.
    Agreed. And even that statement was only made AFTER the dog's owner started cussing them out for shooting the dog. Before that they didn't say anything, talk to anyone, offer help, or even so much as move from the spot where the assumed shot had been taken from.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Actually, his first words should have been "Officer, I want to help you with your investigation but I would like to speak to my lawyer" and then SHUT UP.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I do feel I need to inform the officer on the scene about the time frame between the two shots. I didn't think of it at the time to inform him when he was investigating. It seems to me that if he was truly in danger, that there wouldn't have been such a vast amount of time between shots. I think that would be important to their investigation.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I really want to say something here, but I'm already in enough trouble with a select few, that somehow can read my mind to the intent of my postings.

I'll just PM you.

We're still doing this? More swipes? It's getting old, you know.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Regardless of species, if you shoot in defense isn't it only "the right thing to do" to render aid afterwards until further help arrives. Yet, they did absolutely nothing other than make the previously mentioned statement.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Regardless of species, if you shoot in defense isn't it only "the right thing to do" to render aid afterwards until further help arrives. Yet, they did absolutely nothing other than make the previously mentioned statement.

I don't know what I'd do. Lots of people on INGO talk about putting as much distance between you and the attacker as possible after neutralizing the threat.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    That's a ****ty situation for everyone involved. I'm sure no right-minded person ever wants to shoot and or kill a neighbor's dog. I'm also sure that no person would ever want their child to see his/her dog dieing in front of them from another person's hands.
    I'm so very happy that we have the right to form any opinion we wish, whenever we wish, and with how ever little information that we wish. I'll hold on to mine for now.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not questioning the accuracy of your account. I appreciate you writing it up here.
    I know you're not. I completely understand where you're coming from. I do not subscribe to lynch mobs like that of Zimmerman incident and feel that everyone deserves a fair trial. I am merely relaying information which I witnessed myself. All of which completely contradicts any possible "defense" or "claim" the shooter attempted to make.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

There was a thread on this precise question a couple of weeks ago. As I recall the majority of the commenters would have answered your question 'no'.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I know you're not. I completely understand where you're coming from. I do not subscribe to lynch mobs like that of Zimmerman incident and feel that everyone deserves a fair trial. I am merely relaying information which I witnessed myself. All of which completely contradicts any possible "defense" or "claim" the shooter attempted to make.

Fair enough.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    All of my replies to this conversation have been removed as I have evidently been accused of "jumping to conclusions..."

Prayers for the dogs family, and faith the LE agency will make right of the situation.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't know what I'd do. Lots of people on INGO talk about putting as much distance between you and the attacker as possible after neutralizing the threat.
    Yes, but if they're OBVIOUSLY no longer a threat is it not the ethical thing to do to assist and make sure they survive. Even if only for one's own conscience. I do not bare the burden of posessing a conscience, but I still follow a code of "right and wrong."

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Wow, so from what I am reading the OP did not see what happened, did not talk to the suspected "shooter" or his wife, does not know about what if any history with that dog and the couple or neighborhood, does not know what happened afterword, and does not know the true facts of the case, but wants the shooter arrested and tried.

I hope that I never have to come to your neighborhood. I mean seriously, what if the people had been walking on the dog's side of the street on the sidewalk and were attacked by the dog forcing them to defend themselves and then afterwards they retreated to their home to keep the owner away from them? What if the people were on their side of the street all along, and the dog came over there after them forcing them to defend themselves after which the dog crossed back over towards it's home? You were not there, but you can tell us they shot from the other side of the street just by your quick observation as you came in range?'

Top Bottom