Would've, could've, should'vem might've....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    I have it from a reputable source that during the U.S.Army trials for a handgun to replace the .38 wheelgun then being issued, besides the 1911-type pistol, also came Luger chambered in .45ACP from DWF, who sent only two samples. All the entry guns were given the same trials, and the 1911 and the DWF fared the best. Then the two designs were tested head-to-head, in a TTD (test to destruction) trial. Obviously the 1911 won. Barely. That single remaining sample of .45ACP Luger original DWF design still exists, but don't look for it on Gun Broker. The current owner has passed on a bid of $2000000. I would too. Can anyone refute this post. I'll let reputable disputers know the name of my source, and some of you may already have his product in your AR- type. He is planning on a re-issue of REAL Tommy-guns this year (semi- of course). Pat

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I remember hearing of that. 2 Samples, one in private hands, the other "missing". Saw something on it on the History channel. I think a release (from some company) of a "modern reproduction" or the .45 Luger would be AWESOME! :)

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    New Amerikanischen Waffen Fabrik (AWF) .45ACP due early 2011.

Look for it to be $1950~2000 in first year of prodution, dropping slowly as demand increases. Pat

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    45Luger.jpg

.45 Caliber Luger

Here is a quote from THE LUGER STORY by John Walter, page 118:
    Though the progress of the American trials is well documented, controversy still surrounds the .45 Lugers. Work apparently began in the late summer of 1906, when 5000 cartridges were sent to Luger from Frankford Arsenal. The pistols were completed late in February 1907, two of them arriving at Springfield Armory some time prior to 28th March. One gun, believed to have been no. 1, was put through the trials whilst no. 2 was retained for examination. The latter still exists, thought he fate of its companion is unknown.

But where are the others? And, if so, how many? Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken clearly made more than two, as at least one would have been retained in Germany as a safeguard against the loss of the guns despatched to the USA; coincidentally, .45 Luger no. 4 is said to have been found in Germany in 1945 and taken to the USA as a souvenir. Another example, apparently numbered '4', was pictured in LUGER. The late August Weiss credited his predecessor, Heinrich Hoffmann, with a statement that "no more than six" 45 caliber guns had been made.

Harry Jones pictured two surviving .45 caliber pistols in the revised edition of LUGER VARIATIONS, commenting that the second survivor was fired 150 times in 1960 without a single stoppage. Unfortunately for Luger and DWM, the ammunition used in 1907 was not as reliable! It is reported that there is a .45 cal Luger in the Robert W. Norton Gallery, in Shreveport, Louisiana. Mr. Norton was an early Louisiana oilman, and this Luger was purchased by Mr. Norton from Harry Jones. In some of his writings Harry Jones tells about himself and Mr. Norton taking the pistol out and running a box of ammo through it. The pistol is pictured on page 381 of Scott Meadow's "US MILITARY AUTOMATIC PISTOLS". The pistol has a commercial proof, but also has the GL proof on the toggle. This gun is not marked with a serial number, but the magazine is marked with the numeral "3" ...The origin of this particular specimen has not been determined, but much speculation has been made as can be seen in the writings above.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    I recall reading an article in a magazine (GUNS?) about the one known .45acp Luger. They confirmed that the last time it sold, it was 1 mil+ I think.

They profiled the creation/testing of the gun and the collector let the authors take it out to the range and run some rounds through it!
    I believe the guy wanted to remain anonymous and they didn't reveal where the collection was kept.

Neat story.

Top Bottom