Would you have done anything differently in this situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Why do people think that they have to record things that are not their business. This guy is just plane wrong.

sonney

Spencir

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Why do people think that they have to record things that are not their business. This guy is just plane wrong.

sonney

I disagee. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy while in a public place. He was within his rights to film.

Now, whether he should have been recording, I'm not sure. But I don't think he was plain wrong.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    3 AM, well yeah. "Nothing good happens after midnight."
    Also note in your signature that just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should. Personally, I wouldn't be out for a stroll at 3:00 a.m. but then that's just me. YMMV

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    He is a complete loser who gives gun owners a bad name. For starters, maybe try talking with them and making sure everything is ok, if your are really that concerned. He simply wanted something for YouTube.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Go looking for trouble and you just might find it. Bring a Gun with and you're playing vigilante.

Don't broadcast to everyone you are recording the exchange and start conflict, also if you are generally concerned for the girls well being, call the cops from the get go....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

sonney

Why do other people think that we should all just adopt the "I don't want to get involved" mindset and allow others to be harmed by our inaction?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Go looking for trouble and you just might find it. Bring a Gun with and you're playing vigilante.

Don't broadcast to everyone you are recording the exchange and start conflict, also if you are generally concerned for the girls well being, call the cops from the get go....

Yep. I'm not one to think cops have to be involved in everything. Adults can handle things between themselves. I wouldn't call the cops for a dispute with my neighbors. But he didn't know these people, have a dog in the fight or anything. If you're not concerned, MYODB. If you are concerned for the safety of one of the girls, call the proper authorities, wait till they get there, and pop smoke.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I would have called the police and kept my distance If they were doing something illegal. If nothing illegal i would have kept going. Innocous acts are sometimes highly exaggerated or mistaken to be hostile to a group of drunkards.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ...He simply wanted something for YouTube.

Ding, ding, ding... winner, winner chicken dinner...

Seriously, pay attention if you choose, but video taping someone that does not know you or your intentions is a bad idea.

That said, I like 3am walks, and I'll be damned if I'll let some social misfit keep me from them.
    I won't be recording anything, but...I always feel... "Alabama-bound"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyWAZlIJPMU

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I find it interesting that we as gun owners believe in exercising our rights simply because they exist (which I agree with, btw) but take issue with someone who is well within their rights carrying and using a camera somehow being "foolish?"

As to the mind your own business I would respectfully submit that his neighborhood, his community IS HIS BUSINESS, especially when it is happening on a public street. This is how gangs, drug dealers, the mafia, etc all become entrenched because no one wants to get involved.

I would put forward the notion that an altercation is far better to be recorded than not. It helps clarify where there may be ambiguity.

Good for him for trying to make a positive contribution!

Regards,

Doug

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    I believe this man was just trying to help someone. We have our rights in Indiana to protect ourselves but sometimes we forget, we have the right to protect the third party. Whose in the wrong? The aggressor's charging at him. The good guy just might have done somethings that not everyone can agree with. We can sit here all day and judge what this man should of done and what he shouldn't have done, however, at least he was trying to help someone. He went home and the third party he was trying to help went home. To me, that's a plus one for the good guys.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To All,

I find it interesting that we as gun owners believe in exercising our rights simply because they exist (which I agree with, btw) but take issue with someone who is well within their rights carrying and using a camera somehow being "foolish?"

As to the mind your own business I would respectfully submit that his neighborhood, his community IS HIS BUSINESS, especially when it is happening on a public street. This is how gangs, drug dealers, the mafia, etc all become entrenched because no one wants to get involved.

I would put forward the notion that an altercation is far better to be recorded than not. It helps clarify where there may be ambiguity.

Good for him for trying to make a positive contribution!

Regards,

Doug
    I'm going to have to disagree. First what people do reveals their character. He revealed his. This wasn't about gangs or neighborhood watch or community betterment or whatever. Some people were doing typical drunken foolishness. Didn't look to me like anything was getting too out of hand. I think he was poking his nose where it doesn't belong. And as others have said, if he was that concerned he should have called the cops. They are much better equipped to deal with drunken foolishness than this guy was. They probably wouldn't have needed to draw their weapons either.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm going to have to disagree. First what people do reveals their character. He revealed his. This wasn't about gangs or neighborhood watch or community betterment or whatever. Some people were doing typical drunken foolishness. Didn't look to me like anything was getting too out of hand. I think he was poking his nose where it doesn't belong. And as others have said, if he was that concerned he should have called the cops. They are much better equipped to deal with drunken foolishness than this guy was. They probably wouldn't have needed to draw their weapons either.

And I'll have to disagree, at least in part.
    There are some things I would have done a bit differently in this situation, namely running the camera clandestinely instead of standing in the middle of the road with it upraised.
    And maybe he didn't call the cops because he wanted to see if the situation he was witnessing would escalate to the point that violence was imminent between the third parties, warranting a call to the cops.
    I wouldn't want to be known as the little boy who cried wolf to the cops, and I'm pretty sure he was thinking the same way, although he does make it pretty clear that he's a bit of a DB when it comes to his attitude about cops in general.
    And, while I definitely believe that anyone carrying a gun should actually be less apt to approach situations that could result in violence, I don't believe that entails turning a blind eye.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Lol, guys who apparently bashes police.... save him from shooting someone.

yeah. good job to the P.D. on this one.
    Did anybody else read the comments on youtube?? Crazy blame game & victimization.
    I think individuals should record all sorts of stuff - just to help sort it out. (can't say I feel the same about big bro doing it though...)

Top Bottom