Would you agree to a required class if...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you trade for a required class

• Total voters

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So the general consensus among INGOers (at least the highly vocal ones) is that a required training class is somehow full of badness and evil. The most valid reasons being it is expensive to take a class and off course "rights are free."

What if the current method (months of waiting, $125+ lifetime permit) were traded for something like this:

$175 for a class and permit:
    1. Arrive for the class and fill out paperwork for the permit.
    2. Take the basic safety class including an hour if range time.
    3. The background checks are performed WHILE YOU WAIT.
    4. Assuming you don't shoot yourself, the permit is handed to you on the way out the door.

Would you pay the extra $50 and go through a couple hours of instruction for an hour of range time and and immediate gratification of the permit?

My guess is that scheduling may become an issue.

Please, no rants about Rights, thats not what this is about. I'm just curious what people would trade for the perceived inconvenience.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If I didn't already have a license, I would agree to this. Some ranges are requiring a class for membership, so why not kill two birds with one stone?

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have never taken a class where I didn't learn something.
    Additionally one of ther reasons many states don't honor the Indiana ltch is that there is no qualifying safety class, which they require.

I would gladly submitt to a class so long as it is taught by a gun expert not a government flunky just reading text.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've often wondered if IN would do something like this. I honestly think that a large number of LTCH holders don't fully understand the laws that pertain to them whether at home or in public. I tend to think that having a required class if only for the education aspect would be a a benefit. It would help people know what the laws say and, more importantly, help explain what they mean in a given situation. Some firearms training might be good but in my mind is not as important as knowledge of the law.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I understand that I am new to all of this, so you can take this with a grain of salt. I shot guns some when I was younger, but not alot. I purchased my first gun a couple months ago and finger printed last week for my license. I personally like the idea of paying extra for a class, not only to learn a bit more of the safety side of things, but some of the laws and such. I know the 4 main rules of gun safety, and feel that I am very safe to begin with, but it never hurts to refresh/learn new things.:twocents:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    A. It won't have any effect on shootings.
    B. The Government screws up everything it touches
    C. The Government would use this to infringe on 2A rights

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    A. It won't have any effect on shootings.
    B. The Government screws up everything it touches
    C. The Government would use this to infringe on 2A rights

A. I can agree with that.

B. That is a very accurate statement.

C. They may do so.

But as a safe operator of a gun, wouldnt you like new people to the gun community/people that will be carrying to have proper training?

(I do know that there will still be accidents obviously and dumb poeple will probably still slip through the cracks.)

model60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I took my course in USMC boot camp, ITR and Vietnam, having said that; we teach kids how to drive and have safe sex in school why not voluntary basic firearm education. Skills and marksmanship and real life situations left to dads, grandpas and uncles. I have plenty of regs in my life as it is.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    1. What program does State of Indiana run effectively?

2. Why do you think that such a class will not be $10,000, be held on one day a year in Yankeetown, Indiana and have a ten year waiting list?

Yankeetown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankeetown,_Indiana

3. Training is far to important to trust to the government.

Why this fixation on governmental training abounds in INGO I cannot fathom. Maybe it is because all the other cool kids are doing it so to sit at the cool kids table we have to do it?:dunno: "I wanna be like Texas too! I have the big hat and elf boots and everything!"

If we are truly wanting a governmental role, then how about adopting one of the Freeman Proposals?

Firearms Training Proposal #2: "All ammunition expense, firearms accessories, travel expenses, lodging expenses, class tuition fees related to firearms training are tax deductible above the line."

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    ViperJock said:
    Please, no rants about Rights, thats not what this is about. I'm just curious what people would trade for the perceived inconvenience.

You realize that requiring a course makes a right no longer a right? Just like requiring a permit/license does likewise. You're asking people to give up a right and not argue why they shouldn't.

That being said, I agree that people ought to take classes, and work on personal marksmanship, and understand the laws and responsibilities that come with being armed. But I don't believe in forcing people to give up their right until they prove some arbitrary governmental knowledge evaluation. The whole slippery slope thing.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If the Gubbmint wants mandatory training, they can start with public school system.

Grades 1-4: Firearms Safety, Firearms Recognition, Constitional History

Grades 5-9: Marksmanship, US History (in depth history not the BS taught today) in addition to the above

Grades 10-12: Advanced Marksmanship. State/National scholarship competitions

At 18 years old: Graduates are provided with a National Constitutional Carry affidavit and a discount coupon for their first handgun. :D

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So the general consensus among INGOers (at least the highly vocal ones) is that a required training class is somehow full of badness and evil. The most valid reasons being it is expensive to take a class and off course "rights are free."

What if the current method (months of waiting, $125+ lifetime permit) were traded for something like this:

$175 for a class and permit:
    1. Arrive for the class and fill out paperwork for the permit.
    2. Take the basic safety class including an hour if range time.
    3. The background checks are performed WHILE YOU WAIT.
    4. Assuming you don't shoot yourself, the permit is handed to you on the way out the door.

Would you pay the extra $50 and go through a couple hours of instruction for an hour of range time and and immediate gratification of the permit?

My guess is that scheduling may become an issue.

While range time is important, one hour is not going to make anyone "trained". I have taken a number of classes, I spend at least an hour a week at the range, and in nearly two years, I STILL don't consider myself trained.

I am not willing to concede anything. Why? Because once we do, they will ask for something else. And then another. It's the start down one VERY slippery slope.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am not willing to concede anything. Why? Because once we do, they will ask for something else. And then another. It's the start down one VERY slippery slope.

:+1:

We have already conceded WAY too much. They always say "but these are just common sense, reasonable restrictions! It's just this one little thing, we promise!" Every. Single. Time.

No, sir. I will not make any more concessions. Not. One. And to ask me how I'd like to give up my Right but constrain me by saying "and I don't want to make this a Rights issue" is disingenuous, at best.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    While range time is important, one hour is not going to make anyone "trained". I have taken a number of classes, I spend at least an hour a week at the range, and in nearly two years, I STILL don't consider myself trained.

Law of Unintended Consequences: When someone who went through the "Training" has a ND or worse yet kills someone, the argument will be "See, we tried it your way, Safety training didn't help, guns r bad, guns r bad, guns r bad." "They still can't be trusted, guns r bad, guns r bad, guns r bad"

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    :+1:

We have already conceded WAY too much. They always say "but these are just common sense, reasonable restrictions! It's just this one little thing, we promise!" Every. Single. Time.

No, sir. I will not make any more concessions. Not. One. And to ask me how I'd like to give up my Right but constrain me by saying "and I don't want to make this a Rights issue" is disingenuous, at best.
    Thing is though, if we had a class then more states would reciprocate our ltch as well. I am all for not conceding on restrictions, BUT I do like to travel and it makes it a PITA when some of those states do not reciprocate.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If the Gubbmint wants mandatory training, they can start with public school system.

Grades 1-4: Firearms Safety, Firearms Recognition, Constitional History

Grades 5-9: Marksmanship, US History (in depth history not the BS taught today) in addition to the above

Grades 10-12: Advanced Marksmanship. State/National scholarship competitions

At 18 years old: Graduates are provided with a National Constitutional Carry affidavit and a discount coupon for their first handgun. :D

Now this has a lot of real merit.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thing is though, if we had a class then more states would reciprocate our ltch as well. I am all for not conceding on restrictions, BUT I do like to travel and it makes it a PITA when some of those states do not reciprocate.

I don't care about what the other states do. I care about what my state does. And I will not concede yet another Right in exchange for a convenience. Why not petition those states to recognize our carry method (or Constitutional carry) rather than try to restrict me further?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I don't care about what the other states do. I care about what my state does. And I will not concede yet another Right in exchange for a convenience. Why not petition those states to recognize our carry method (or Constitutional carry) rather than try to restrict me further?

Agreed. WE, as consumers, can put pressure on OH. just don't spend money there. And let the powers that be know why.

Top Bottom