Would like to pay someone to give me pointers on competitive shooing..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I live in Greenwood and would like to pay someone to give me pointers on competitive shooing with my Ruger Mark II.

I want to make sure that my stance, grip and shooting technique is correct.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    ACT sometimes offers classes on competitive shooting. You might drop Coach, Rhino, or Obijohn a PM to ask them about it. :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would prefer GOOD pointers.

Keep in mind I will have a gun, but on the other hand if they are bad pointers I won't be able to hit you........ :D

If we ended up in a gun fight because of my bad pointers, you could rest assured that neither of us would suffer any injuries. :D

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Scutter was my coach and I have yet to hit the target so I'd pass on that one if I were you... ;) j/k

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    ACT: Coach has a Instuctional coming up I am going to in April. 25th I think. I will be there so you have to go! Also, he says it will gear you up for USPSA shooting as well.

Can't wait!

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    What kind of competive shooting?

I don't know.

I had been to a Glock shoot a few years back and it was a lot of fun but I just bought my first .22 pistols and I can't believe how much fun they are.

I have been to Friday Night Steel twice and really enjoyed it so I guess that I'm pretty open.

I was thinking about going tomatches that I saw posted here and that way I could figgure out what I like. I really want to be able to have my kids that are 14 and 17 shoot with me.

Here are my .22s
    IMG_2664.jpg

MarkII-2003.jpg

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Most of my experience is bulls eye type shooting or NRA conventional pistol. This type of shooting is done with one hand. There are no tactical moves or anything like that. Course of fire is 50 yds slow fire 10 rds, 25 yard timed and rapid fire 10 rds each. They use 3 pistols .22, center fire, and .45 the .45 can be used on both center fire and .45 stages. This the type of pistol matches that is shot at Camp Perry. You compete in classes according to your ability. It is the only type of match that points are awarded towards distinguished badges (leg matches). The Indiana State Rifle and Pistol association will have match info available. Your kids would be very welcomed, my son 9 goes with me and shoots the .22 matches. Lots of nice people that will help you with anything. I have even borrowed guns to shoot. If you are interseted in this type of shooting I would be happy to give to give you some pointers free of charge. My experience includes Primary Marksmanship Instructor in the Marines, member of the rifle and pistol team, shot Camp Perry Nationals, Interservice Matches and several others.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    It seems like most people who shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge just show up at a shoot to get started. There are new shooters at every match I've been to. You just have to read the rules online (especially the safety rules), get over being embarrassed, and show up.

I'm sure you'll find shooters at your level and you'll also have the opportunity to watch (and learn from) the really good shooters.

I also recommend the ACT practical shooting 101 course. It's a fantastic intro to USPSA with lots of live-fire drills.

repair

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    It seems like most people who shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge just show up at a shoot to get started. There are new shooters at every match I've been to. You just have to read the rules online (especially the safety rules), get over being embarrassed, and show up.

I'm sure you'll find shooters at your level and you'll also have the opportunity to watch (and learn from) the really good shooters.

Heck I got DQed at my first Friday night steel match and came back for the next one but if it happened to one of the kids they wouldn't take it so well.

I don't want to have them practicing the wrong way.

I had my daughter at the range Friday and she was shooting the 22A for the first time and she told me that she thought that the sight was off so I took it and shot a bulls eye with it to show her it was ok but I didn't know what to tell her to do to get her grouping tighter.

I'm not very good but I try, on the down low I was shocked to hit the bullseye when I took the gun from her. LOL

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    My son has done two steel matches. One with his Ruger Mark 3 last year when he was 11, and he shot a Glock 9mm at Friday night steel this month. He is very safe and shoots OK for his age. He is mildly autistic and, developmentally speaking, is about 9-years old. He hasn't had any sort of formal instruction.

I think the main thing with kids is to teach them good safety, take them to the range and teach them shooting fundamentals, go through dry-fire drills using the range commands ("load and make ready" and so on), and get them started.

But this is just my experience and I could be totally wrong, and every child is different, so YMMV....

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Steel Challenge Matches are great for competition beginners. Very little movment required if any. Also .22's have a division in which to compete and no holsters are necessary.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You can shoot .22 in NRA Action Pistol, but unfortunately no clubs are hosting those matches this year in Indiana. We're hoping it will return to Wildcat Valley in 2010.

You can find a steel match to shoot pretty much every weekend in Indiana if you try, so you're not going to be hurting for opportunities.

Just because USPSA and IDPA don't accommodate .22s in matches doesn't mean you can't use your .22 as a practice tool for some of the necessary skills.

Top Bottom