Would it be wise to switch from 40 to 9?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I've been having this thought about switching from 40S&W to 9mm. The main thing that's attractive to me is the ammo is just cheaper to shoot and usually carrying capacity is greatly increased with a 9 by a couple round for the same size gun. a M&P9c holds 12 rounds opposed to the M&P40c which only holds 10. Two extra shots could be a life saver if they are needed. Everyone says that it's about shot placement and under stress if you do have to use your firearm to defend yourself wouldn't it be better to have more rounds? It's always good to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them correct? Same goes for a concealed firearm in general if you do carry. Not only that but with some of the more powerful loads with nine in the 130-150gr weights they aren't too much different than 40.

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on any of this but it was mainly just me rambling and asking a simple(or not so simple)question.

TLDR - Just what the title says, is switching from 40 to 9 a good/wise move?

Mods feel free to move this if it's not in the right section. I just felt it went here since it's more related to handguns than anything else. IMHO.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    It's a toss up.
    I sold my last 40 because I wanted to cut my reloading of pistol calibers down to 9mm & 45.
    I like the idea of more rounds and the new 9mm self-defense loads are pretty nasty.
    9mm is cheaper to shoot so I think that makes most people more willing to get out and practice and improve their skills.
    If you are good with a 40, shooting a 9mm will be cake. I like cake.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's a toss up.
    I sold my last 40 because I wanted to cut my reloading of pistol calibers down to 9mm & 45.
    I like the idea of more rounds and the new 9mm self-defense loads are pretty nasty.
    9mm is cheaper to shoot so I think that makes most people more willing to get out and practice and improve their skills.
    If you are good with a 40, shooting a 9mm will be cake. I like cake.

I also like cake....and 9mm. ;)

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Good questions, I shoot my Glock-23 .40 the best, better than my Glocks in 9mm so that's what I go to, don't downsize unless your more accurate with the smaller caliber, but with advancements in 9mm ammo design, a 147 gr 9mm is about as good as a 165 gr .40 (IMHO).

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am with the guys on making sure you can shoot the the other caliber as well as the gun you have now (I see no reason why not). Then I think as long as you aren't trying to sell off tons of junk or doing anything unreasonable then it's not a big deal to switch. I can say that if you can afford to shoot a bit more then that alone would have to help you be much better in itself.

Don't over think it. It doesn't need to be that big of a deal. Shoot it well? If a yes, then just do what you want for whatever reason you want.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I also like cake....and 9mm. ;)
    I was never a huge cake person, but I hear you get cheeseburgers with a .45.

OP, whatever you shoot the best is what's right for you. I dropped the .40 because I wanted to add 45 and already have a 9. If I was only going to have a couple handgun calibers, it would be a .40 and .357.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I was never a huge cake person, but I hear you get cheeseburgers with a .45.

OP, whatever you shoot the best is what's right for you. I dropped the .40 because I wanted to add 45 and already have a 9. If I was only going to have a couple handgun calibers, it would be a .40 and .357.

I consolidated to 9mm a couple of years ago. I keep flirting with .40s and .45s but haven't kept one long term lately. We'll see how long that continues.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've not shot a Shield in .40, but I was honestly a little surprised at how much snappier the Shield In 9 was compared to a full sized or even compact. I imagine the .40 would be more so.

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    You've already identified some of the benefits/downsides. One simple question. Have you tried shooting this gun in 9mm?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/394084-40s-w-unwanted.html

Some pros and cons being discussed in this thread.

Do you have a gun that you could fit with a 9mm conversion barrel? That would let you get the best of both worlds for significantly less than buying a new gun.

I do have a Shield 40 and am planning on getting a M&P40c or 9c this week or next. I'm still deciding. I haven't shot much 9 which is why the 9c is really pleasing. 12 rounds of 9 in the same package as 10 rounds of 40 with less recoil and identical stopping power is really really pleasing to me. It might not transfer the same amount of energy as a 40 but it's shot placement that matters.

Top Bottom