• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So just had an extremely frustrating event. I was headed east on county line rd east of 135 in the inside lane. A car westbound swerved into my lane and made me move to avoid them. They did the same to the car behind me. I turned around and saw them actually driving west in the outside lane of the eastbound lanes. They turned off onto a side street and I called 911. They parked in front of a house, turned off their lights, and stayed in the car. Another car had followed them, I think out of concern for their driving, and it had a fireman license plate.

It took 90 seconds for 911 to answer the call and then I spent the next 6.5 minutes trying to explain to the operator where I was at. I explained exactly where it was, and she said she needed an intersection. I gave her the intersection I was parked at according to my car gps nav thing. She said it wasn't a valid one. I pulled out my phone and google was thinking I was somewhere else and I gave that street, though it didn't look like the streets where I was. I then corrected and found the correct place. I gave her the address of the house I was in front of, she said I gave her an invalid address. I gave her the address of the next house, she said it was invalid.

I hear her say "County Line road, now that is a boundary". And I say "Yes, between two counties..." I assume I was speaking with a marion county 911 operator who may not have had Johnson county maps or addresses? I was too pissed at this point to consider that possibility and she didn't ask, so who knows.

At this point I'm worried about being late for work and decided it was time to get driving since the vehicle was parked and another car was behind it. I said I'm glad I'm not dying from a heart attack on the side of the road somewhere and this has been the worst 911 experien (CLICK). She hung up on me.

I continued my drive and I saw an officer at the speedway at 31/county line but he had someone pulled over and didn't want to bother him. I saw a white police car parked at the station and went there, only to find it a repurposed one with some regular dude in it.

So, if you're near the border of a county should you specify which county you're in? Every other time the operator will reroute my call when I say where I'm at if the cell company routed me to the wrong dispatcher. Other than clarifying which county I was in (I said I was south of county line road) what else could I have done to give my location?

My call was placed at 11:31p and lasted 8 minutes if anyone is able to check into what happened. I'm sure they are recorded for quality assurance.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My experience in another county with 911 has been poor. I believe I was given enough info to get me to leave them alone? I didn't, but that's another story.

I was schooled by one of our very helpful INGO officers that individual (vehicles still rolling) traffic issues are very, very low priority and they are practically never followed up on. I didn't care to hear that, but appreciated the officer's frankness. I can only assume that the operators treat such calls the same as the officers?

Bottom line;
    I'll call 911, because I want record that I did. What will I count on them for? Nothing.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I've had them be very responsive to impaired drivers on previous calls. Once they had the guy within about two minutes of me giving a location.

I even filled out a statement for one lady who had stopped by the time they got to her. She nearly flipped her car on I-75 north of Cincinnati after overcorrecting to stop ripping her driver side off on the metal wire barrier between north and south.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    911 routing on cells is not perfect. At the very least, you need a city named. County probably wouldn't hurt.

As protocolized as the 911 system is, shouldn't there be something to prompt "If no address found, confirm which county caller is in"?

I also suspect there is a formal method to terminating a call at the dispatcher's request rather than simply hanging up on the caller.

Last edited:

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was scolded and hung up on by 911 once too. My calling back to tell them the drunk driver who just hit me was trying to leave the scene wasn't important at all. "Sigh. Someone is on their way, sir". Thanks *****.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I hear her say "County Line road, now that is a boundary".

Sounds like someone coaching a trainee. Its possible you got the "new girl" and giving multiple addresses confused her. I don't know how likely it is to assume you are in another county, but the CAD system does contain addresses for surrounding counties. I know because when I was on North district, trainee dispatchers tried to send me into Hamilton Co on more than one occasion.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Not a frustrating 911 call, but funny: A few years back, me and a friend were on his dads property looking at some trees we were gonna cut down, and another guy was several hundred yards already cutting a few, we were sitting on the tailgate of my truck when we saw a tree fall ON the other guy. Neither of us had phones at that time, so the I ran to his dads house to call 911. I was out of breath by the time 911 picked up, and I told them where we were and what had happened. I guess the guy at 911 didn't understand me the first time I said a tree had fallen on a guy, and he calmly asked me again what the problem was.....I said "a tree fell on somebody", to which all calmness went out of the 911 operators voice and he replied "HOLY **** ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME"

I didn't laugh about it at the time, and the guy under the tree survived, but that call still cracks me up.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    i spoke with an officer tonight who said they have changed things and the calls are sent out using GPS coordinates instead of street names, is this true? That could get really frustrating as you don't always know an intersection around.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    i spoke with an officer tonight who said they have changed things and the calls are sent out using GPS coordinates instead of street names, is this true? That could get really frustrating as you don't always know an intersection around.

How can that help if you have GPS turned off?

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I don't pretend to be extremely knowledgeable related to 911 from cell phones being routed correctly other than my own experience. A little over a year ago we were discussing/updating emergency procedures at our club. We worked with local dispatch. We were assured absolutely no problem with cell calls being received, location established, dispatch correctly, etc. Just a few weeks before I had made a 911 call from my cell at a location in the same county but about 8 - 10 miles from our club. It was all screwed up. Finally realized they thought I was 2 counties over. Dispatched eventually from correctly after a very long delay. Fortunately it was not a life or death situation. If I need to do this again I will ask many more questions and attempt to verify that they have correct info.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

At least for IMPD it is still dispatched by address and city coordinates (the grid system the city is laid out on, 1500 N College would be "1500 North, 700 East").

How can that help if you have GPS turned off?

E911 can still figure out your basic location. I don't know the technology behind it, but triangulating with towers plays into it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I didn't think 911 dispatchers were allowed to just hang up on you. I'd consider filing a complaint. I had a sister who worked dispatch, and she sure never did anything like that, even on ridiculous calls.

Top Bottom