• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Just finsihed reading the book and :wow: what a mess!
    Before I get into my post there was a "shout out" to Hammond, Indiana in the book near the end. :rockwoot: I did not grow up there but it's part of NWI and well made me smile a bit to see a NWI town mentioned in the book.

In any case back to the book. It never did say what/how the 'zombies' got started. Somewhere in China? :scratch:
    There were a few 'gun errors' mentioned in the book. "clip" used instead of magazine. :rolleyes:

What I found interesting is what there was really no place to hid in the world from the zombie horde. Heck even under the sea you could find them. Scray thought indeed. The part about the US dollar being worthless (barter everywhere) even afetr order was restored was rather interesting.

Guess we (Indiana) are all screwed when this happens since we are EAST of the rookies hu? :)

BTW have no intention of watching the movie as it's does not stay true to the book nor the zombie world.
    Zombies CANNOT run!!!! :facepalm:

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, its a lot better than the movie, thats for sure.

I recall cringing at clip. I thought it was interesting how terribly ineffective the military was at killing zombies at first. They talked about flachete shells instead, but the govt wanted to "shock and awe" so they used thermobaric bombs instead. Interesting to see how ill prepared they were for the zombies.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I'm going to have to disagree I thought the book was terrible. Just a series of anti-climatic stories that end as soon as they get interesting. As for the movie while not true to the book I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed seeing the hyped up 28 Day Later style infected it gave the movie some edge instead of the current Walking Bore I mean Dead on AMC.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Just finsihed reading the book and :wow: what a mess!
    Before I get into my post there was a "shout out" to Hammond, Indiana in the book near the end. :rockwoot: I did not grow up there but it's part of NWI and well made me smile a bit to see a NWI town mentioned in the book.

In any case back to the book. It never did say what/how the 'zombies' got started. Somewhere in China? :scratch:
    There were a few 'gun errors' mentioned in the book. "clip" used instead of magazine. :rolleyes:

What I found interesting is what there was really no place to hid in the world from the zombie horde. Heck even under the sea you could find them. Scray thought indeed. The part about the US dollar being worthless (barter everywhere) even afetr order was restored was rather interesting.

Guess we (Indiana) are all screwed when this happens since we are EAST of the rookies hu? :)

BTW have no intention of watching the movie as it's does not stay true to the book nor the zombie world.
    Zombies CANNOT run!!!! :facepalm:

Pretty sure the outbreak started in China. The thing I disliked most about the zombies in the book and movie was the un-zombieness. More in the movie though with the über-fast zombies. I thought the under the sea zombies were...ahem...a little unrealistic too since the sea water would have made the brain non-functional pretty quickly. Same with the completely frozen Zs that defrosted. IMO -- If you are going for a "realistic" zombie theme, the laws of nature and physics should apply. On the other hand if it's like dead rising from the graves as a result of some kind of demonic evil then anything goes.
    They were entertaining though, if not art.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    good point on the underseat stuff, would have though the water pressure would have 'cooked' the brain and bye bye zombie. but it fiction. =)

do wonder what happen to n. korea.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I actually really like the movie but couldn't finish the book. In my defense I really don't like a fictional book that doesn't have naturally flowing story line. The only books that I have enjoyed that were telling separate stories were WWII books (Ok really any War books) that had individual soldiers telling their true story.

Alphamale

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The book was good, so was the movie. The fun part about fictional stories is that anything is possible. If the zombies run then the zombies run. The whole walking thing has been done plenty, lets see what happens if theyre fast.

And who the hell cares if someone wants to call it a clip? You gun snobs are ridiculous.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The book was good, so was the movie. The fun part about fictional stories is that anything is possible. If the zombies run then the zombies run. The whole walking thing has been done plenty, lets see what happens if theyre fast.

And who the hell cares if someone wants to call it a clip? You gun snobs are ridiculous.

:nono: some things are not suppose to change. the force is all powerful in star wars and zombies are suppose to walk and move slow. period. :)

as for the clip thing i dont have an issue with it in books **IF** its done right.
    the term clip was used by a character that had former military experience in the book anf iirc was a solider of fortune now. how the *** does that type of character call it a clip!!

if it was a regular civilian then ok he dont know any better. but that character shpuld/would know better and thus the term messes up witht the character. it shows that the authoer did not do his homework and/8r did not have help witht the cleanup/editing.

Alphamale

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Indianapolis
    :nono: some things are not suppose to change. the force is all powerful in star wars and zombies are suppose to walk and move slow. period. :)

as for the clip thing i dont have an issue with it in books **IF** its done right.
    the term clip was used by a character that had former military experience in the book anf iirc was a solider of fortune now. how the *** does that type of character call it a clip!!

if it was a regular civilian then ok he dont know any better. but that character shpuld/would know better and thus the term messes up witht the character. it shows that the authoer did not do his homework and/8r did not have help witht the cleanup/editing.

An air tight case for the misuse of the word clip, sir. I have no choice but to concede your correctness.

But zombies can run. Before the cells break down such that the tissue couldnt handle the stress, they can run. If the virus can make them bite or grab, it can make them run. Its not a self contradictory concept.

joliverjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    Whiteland
    The audiobook was good. Well dramatized. Alan Alda did one of the characters. It was an interesting approach to storytelling. Doesn't come close to D. J. Molles, though. He sets the bar for immediate post apocalyptic books, in my opinion. The story was as much or even more about the bad non-infected as the infected. He also goes into the emotional turmoil of killing what still resembles humans when it isn't their fault and how people change under the stress in different ways. I highly recommend him and Shawn Chesser (another military perspective).

Top Bottom