• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I can hit a man size target at 25 yards center mass pretty consistently. I want to improve my accuracy, and trigger control though. We have a steel spinner target. The bottom half I think is a 4" or 5" circle. I tried with my Beretta 92FS, and hit it some. Problem is getting targets to stick to it. The black is really hard to pick up, when the target is in the shade. So I am going to paint it to make it more visible. Hopefully with practice, I can hit it consistently. I know that the average self defense shot 8'-12', but you never know what could happen. When we qualified in the Coast Guard, we always shot from behind a barrier at 25 yards. We also had more time to complete the strings of fire. I'll try and take some video. Now if I could only find a range, where I could practice drawing from a holster and firing. Also shoot from other positions. My Uncle lives in Grandview and we can shoot there. Problem is my Dad can not handle the heat since his cancer surgery. I'm also going to place a target on my wall and do more dry firing, and unholstering bringing my sights on target!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I see these kind of posts all the time and Many people miss one of the major ways to improve your pistol shooting,

22 rimfire pistol,

if you want to work on fundamentals run a brick of 22 through placing each shot, As boring as Bullseye shooting is I don' think there is a better way of getting quality practice you probably live within 5 minutes of a great club (hhrp.org) and they shoot bullseye all winter long,

I'm not a fan of the 92f for a target pistol but about any buckmark, Ruger MK2, Smith 422, ect. will out shoot the 92 and give you practice of sight alignment and trigger control,

sight alignment and trigger control

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    A couple of things that I do:

Paint your spinner target white, take a can of spray paint when you shoot to periodically touch it up as you will blow the paint off of it with each bullet. Pick up some orange stickers and put one dead center on the target to give you a smaller point of aim. Later on don't use the sticker and see how tight you can get your groups just firing on the blank white disk.

The .22 pistol idea posted above is good. Another, similar idea is to pick up a .357 or .38 revolver with at least a four inch barrel and use thirty eights to do a ball and dummy drill. If you are into reloading you can get about 750 pulls of the trigger out of 50 rounds of ammo using ball and dummy drill and reloading your brass.

Start out at a point where you know you can hit. Fire one round ball and dummy. If your shot hits, take a step back and do another ball and dummy drill. If you miss, take a step forward. Note your starting and finishing distances and try to improve each time.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I would keep the man sized target and just up the stress while shooting. Do some burpees, run to cover, fire, drag an injured (dummy) to safety or put a compression bandage on, fire, call for help on your cell, fire.

Mix it up. Accuracy under stress is much different that hitting a spinning plate in a no stress environment.

Or better yet, stress and the spinning plate!

Good luck.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I see these kind of posts all the time and Many people miss one of the major ways to improve your pistol shooting,

22 rimfire pistol,

if you want to work on fundamentals run a brick of 22 through placing each shot, As boring as Bullseye shooting is I don' think there is a better way of getting quality practice you probably live within 5 minutes of a great club (hhrp.org) and they shoot bullseye all winter long,

I'm not a fan of the 92f for a target pistol but about any buckmark, Ruger MK2, Smith 422, ect. will out shoot the 92 and give you practice of sight alignment and trigger control,

I want to join, but money has been tight. Hopefully by this fall i'll have the funds. I have a Buckmark and I take it to the range every time I go. I like the smaller target because it forces me to use better trigger control. With a man size target I just aim center mass, and squeeze the trigger.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would keep the man sized target and just up the stress while shooting. Do some burpees, run to cover, fire, drag an injured (dummy) to safety or put a compression bandage on, fire, call for help on your cell, fire.

Mix it up. Accuracy under stress is much different that hitting a spinning plate in a no stress environment.

Or better yet, stress and the spinning plate!

Good luck.

I agree but can not do things like that at a public range! I want to be able to shoot any position, scenario, etc. Also have someone who can time me, to add a little more stress. I have somewhere to do so, just no one to help out!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Run a mile then try shooting the course, immediately. That is kinda what you will feel like in a real situation...
    Also practice shooting while moving. Notice I said moving not running. Adds a whole new level of difficulty there also.

Top Bottom