• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Also got a Rival #8 double barrel. Looks like it has a wire twist barrel and ML hammers. Not going to shoot it. It had some repairs done to it, scarry.

That's probably what's known as Damascus barrels, and if so, could be worth some good change!

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Don't shoot this with anything but black powder as the higher pressure smokeless might unravel the barrel. I know of a guy who shoots a damascus barreled gun with black powder all the time and doesn't have a problem with it. It looks like hell, but is too cool.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    New Rival was a name used by Crescent for shotguns built for Van Camp Howe. and yes, it probably should not be shot, at least not before being checked out by a qualified (on old bp shotguns) and then only with black powder shells with modest charges. I have a Hercules that is similiar, and shoot it regularly.

Crescent Firearms Co. was started in 1888 by George W. Cilley when he bought out the defunct Bacon Arms Co. of Norwich, Connecticut. Cilley formed a partnership with Frank Foster and Crescent was born. Both men held firearms patents, and both were qualified to design and manufacture firearms. They began making a tip-up single with external side hammers, and began making SxS’s in 1891. Crescent was best known for producing “house brand” shotguns. These were made for and sold by a variety of hardware companies, mail order stores, retailers and distributors. Nearly 100 names are known or thought to have been used on shotguns produced by Crescent. In 1929 N. R. Davis Firearms Co. merged with Crescent to become Davis-Crescent Arms Co. H & D Folsom was a New York importer and distributor of firearms from about 1890 to 1930, at which time they merged with the Davis-Crescent Arms Co. In 1931 the depression forced the sale of Davis-Crescent to the Stevens Arms Co., which assembled the remaining parts and sold them under the Stevens name. (Another version of the history has Crescent sold to Universal Tackle and Sporting Goods Co. in 1954)

It is not known whether Crescent produced any high grade shotguns, but certainly the house brand shotguns were utilitarian and unadorned. Most sold in the range of $10-$12. Today, only a handful of models, such as the New Empire and the Crescent Certified have collector value. The vast majority are sold as shooters or wall hangers for modest prices, usually under $250.

thomjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    As I recall, these barrels were made by "wrapping" steel or iron rod around a mandrel then "welding" the seams together....Not Damascus as in the knife metal me thinks.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    That is typically called a "Stub Twist" barrel.
    Gun makers (America, turn of the Century) seldom made their own barrels. They did the recievers, triggers, and the furniture (wood stocks). Barrels were outsourced to Germany and Britain, as Europe has a few hundred years ahead on the smithing, and all of the proof houses worth a damn, so that is where the tradesman bought barrels.

The pretty ones were Damascus, the less expensive option was the Stub Twist, which could USUALLY handle the same pressures of a Damascus barrle, but tended to be very tough to regulate (same point of aim at 25/35/50yards) and tended to bulge or blow with a hot load well before a damascus barrel.

Barrels of the era can still be proofed for Black powder, and I have a few that are, but it takes serious cash to do it. The rest are terrific wall hangers, or parts guns if they are really trashed or have no significant value to you or your family.

Interested if you're selling, no problem if you're not. Hope this helps

twocoughs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    Along Hiway 1
    6Birds, well this ain't pretty, Kinda interested in a trade for an old 410 of equal value, which probably isn't much. I'd like to make a house gun that my wife could handle. Did I mention it is a double barrel or are all rivals doubles? The only original parts are the barrels, one hammer one trigger and the forestock. Thanks for all the info.

Top Bottom