• jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    WARNING: Lots of Nerdy-ness Below

----------------------------------------------------------------

I just watched a lecture by Stephen Wolfram and thought this was amazing! It's a "computational knowledge engine." Instead of searching the internet for pages that match what you are looking for, this thing searches a sort of "knowledge database" to provide you with what it thinks you're trying to find out.

Wolfram|Alpha

Here is a link to a page with examples of what this thing can do:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/examples/

For instance, type in any mathematic equation and see what it shows you. Where was this thing when i was taking Calculus in college? Parents: next time your kid has math homework just pull up this website and your'e in business. You can even type in your birthdate and get all sorts of useless facts about it.

Here is a link to the lecture I was watching by the creator of this technology. He explains many of the possible applications of this technology and some of the many things it's capable of doing. He also has some other pretty interesting things to say about our universe. Very cool stuff:

Stephen Wolfram: Computing a theory of everything | Video on TED.com

If you're ever bored and have some time, ted.com is an awesome website.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The WolframAlpha site is the most impressive software I've ever seen or heard of in my life. Wolfram is the same guy who invented Mathematica, and I assume it is part of WolframAlpha.

The fact that you can use it for no charge is amazing.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    One of my best friends works for Wolfram; he sells / supports Mathematica to colleges and universities throughout the eastern half of the country.

Their based on Champagne, IL, too. Somewhat "local".

Yes, their Wolfram Alpha program is wonderful...IF you learn how to use it. Just like any program, you've got to know what it likes before it'll give you what you desire.

-J-

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've been using WolframAlpha for the last month or so. I got the app for my iPad. I hadn't heard of it before. It is very impressive.

Top Bottom