• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Any issues with Wolf primers? They seem to be the only ones I've found available, even at $140/5000 they're the most "fairly priced" as well.

Looking around Google it seems there's people saying they're okay, others saying they're nearly impossible to seat.

I'll be using them in my LnL AP for both large and small pistol.

Anyone have personal experience with them? My experience with Wolf has been positive so far as far as reliability is concerned but that's been berdan-primed steel case, don't think I've used anything from them with a boxer primer.

A 2 hour search hasn't turned up anywhere that has both large and small pistol primers in stock other than Wolf. I don't want to have two packages shipped and two hazmat fees so I'd like to order both at the same time from the same place and right now it seems Wolf is my only choice. Unless one of you knows somewhere that has large and small in stock at a reasonable price?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I've shot over 10,000 wolf large pistol primers & 2,000 small pistol primers, they're good, not too hard. Actually, I'd equate them somewhere around Federal for hardness. As for seating, they do fine in my Dillon 550b.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I use Wolf Primers exclusively and haven't had "many" problems. I did have a problem with 2 primers, but that was likely my fault because I didn't inspect them first, and I did find a single primer with the anvil seated upside-down. I've gone through several thousand since then and haven't encountered any problems since. I think it was a fluke thing, that could happen to anyboydy.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I used to have great luck with Wolf SP primers, but the last batch I bought were way too hard. They had about a 2% failure rate in my Glocks. Others have had the same problems:
    Wolf Primers...they changed! - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm working my way through some Wolf LP primers and haven't had a problem with them. Maybe the problems with the SPs are just limited to that batch.
    do you think that you would have had the same issues if your Glock was stock? Or have the modifications that you made not effect the striker? I've not use any of the Wolf that I've gotten yet (still running through CCI), but I am running a stock Glock.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    Before the primer shortages, I only bought Winchester. I haven't had any problem with the Wolf primers. I do find it slightly irritating they are anvil side up in the storage trays so when you flip them into the hand loader tray they are wrong side up. It just takes a few seconds to shake them over, but the Winchester primers were ready to go. CCI primers seem to be random anvil side up or down in the storage trays.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    do you think that you would have had the same issues if your Glock was stock? Or have the modifications that you made not effect the striker? I've not use any of the Wolf that I've gotten yet (still running through CCI), but I am running a stock Glock.

I use lightened striker springs in all but one of my Glocks. My son and I shot two cases of the "old" style (copper colored) wolf primers without a problem. All primers went bang, even with lightened springs, until I got ahold of the "new" style Wolf SP primers with the nickle-plated cup. I shot 1K of them and then sold them, with ample warning, to another INGO member.

I seem to recall having a couple of failures in my G-19 with all stock components, but that might have been high primers. The primers ran well in my S&W 442 (which also has light springs), so I dunno.

I bet Wolf has fixed the problem by now... they have to have had a lot of complaints on that bad batch.

I should have contacted Wolf when I had problems. There were folks on the Brian Enos forums that got a refund from Wolf and got to keep their primers.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never used the Wolf primers so :dunno:.

However, Kempf Gun Shop on 20 in Michigan City has all types of primiers in stock as of last Saturday. Little fuzzy on exact price but was reasonable considering Hazmat fees for online purchase.

Might be worth a phone call and a drive down Hwy 20.:yesway:

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    I've used about 7000 Wolf in SP LP and SRM with no problems but one in my guns. The large pistol primers are a little hard. I had a Para Tac 4 lite that had a hammer too light weight to set them off. I got rid of that gun at the last 1500. I read somewhere that David Tubbs says all he uses now are russian primers in his .223 ammo (not sure if they are Wolf or Tula) and he is quite the shooter. Buy them use them. They will go bang.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I bought a case a little while ago, so far only fired off 100 of them. All went "bang" with no problem. Have a bunch more cases primed, gotta find some bullets in the next couple of days.

Did find them hard to seat in Remington brass, for some reason. No probs with any other brands.

Reloader

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I carry wolf primers in my store and was constantly being asked if they were as good as CCI etc.. So I called my distributor and ask the same question hoping to get a clear answer on Wolf Primer quality. I was told that some current ammo manufactures who are using them now in lieu of their normal brands due to shortages have test fired over 100,000 rounds and have found the quality and the over all standard deviation between primers were less then 2% which in some cases is better then some of the brands were used to buying.

Thought I would just pass that along. I haven't had any complaints so far.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Well, another 300 or so more downrange today, they are still going bang quite nicely, and have no noticeable affect on accuracy. I'll not hesitate to buy more when I find them. And I was mistaken, it wasn't Remington brass I had a hard time seating them in, it was S&B.

chipmaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    I have loaded several thousand in 45 acp in my dillon xl650 no probs no mis fires. problems are usally operater error or carelessness

Top Bottom