• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My family and I got to see an awesome sight tonight...paratroopers practicing at our local airfield!!!

I live just northwest of Freeman Field in Seymour. For the past few years the airfield has been used for a variety of national guard training missions, including parachute drops from low altitude.

Our house is a perfect vantage point to watch the C-130's come in from the Southeast and drop soldiers. Tonight we drove over and watched 3 different runs.

Talk about an adrenaline rush, and we weren't the ones jumping! It was right at dusk, and I'd estimate the altitude to be maybe 500-1000ft? (Someone who knows more about this, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure how high you have to be to jump). It would take maybe 20-30 seconds for the soldiers to land.

The plane would come in lined up with the runway, and then as it passed overhead, out would come a string of 8 to 10 soldiers. The plane would bank hard left and head back the opposite direction, and return about 5 minutes later for another run.

I snapped a few pics with my cell phone, but they didn't come out well due to the distance and lighting. Wish we would have grabbed our digital camera.

The first is after the drop is complete, and the plane is turning around for another run. As you can tell from the sunset, this is looking in more or less a Westerly direction. The plane is the "blob" in the middle.

C130_1.jpg

The second is in the middle of a drop. To the left you can make out a full canopy, and right below the plane you can see another one just opening as he exits the rear of the aircraft.

C130_2.jpg

What really made it great was how close we could get. Because Freeman Field is a municipal airport, you can literally drive right up to the taxiway and park and watch. We could see the soldiers walking across the runway and boarding busses about 25 yards away from us. There were 4 or 5 other cars that had stopped to watch as well. Very Cool! :rockwoot:

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    and I'd estimate the altitude to be maybe 500-1000ft?
    a typical training jump if done at 1250 feet AGL (give or take some depending on pilot), if they were jumping with stingers add 250 feet.
    some units jump at 800 feet AGL, to closer simulate the combat jump altitude of 500 feet AGL.

if you want to watch jumps, get down to Fort Bragg the week of memorial day. they do an airfield seizure exercise that is narrated to keep everyone up to speed on what is happening.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    a typical training jump if done at 1250 feet AGL (give or take some depending on pilot), if they were jumping with stingers add 250 feet.
    some units jump at 800 feet AGL, to closer simulate the combat jump altitude of 500 feet AGL.

if you want to watch jumps, get down to Fort Bragg the week of memorial day. they do an airfield seizure exercise that is narrated to keep everyone up to speed on what is happening.

Is that the Purple Dragon jump?

avond47

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Seymour,IN
    I was out there a couple of years ago when they did this. It was pretty cool to see how they operate.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'd love to take my son and daughters to see something like this. I can't wait for the Mt. Comfort Air Show this year.

Top Bottom