Winter reminder: Be careful out there...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Fortunately the snow/ice hasn't been too bad so far this winter in Indiana. But icy conditions, particularly when combined with fog or heavy snow can really be treacherous. The following video is from Michigan after a 193-car pileup killed two and injured dozens more on Friday. Be careful out there.

I-94 reopens in both directions after deadly pileup

[video=youtube_share;W9fI5M6_XVk]http://youtu.be/W9fI5M6_XVk[/video]

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I hadn't seen that a second person had died. I know there were 23 hospitalized. Amazing that more weren't killed that day. I cannot even begin to imagine the horror of being in the middle of this. The sound on this video demonstrated just how horrible this had to be. I shared this with my kids as a reminder that even when you are doing everything right, in bad conditions....you can still die and it may not be your fault. Better to avoid being on the roads when it is like this.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Its easy to get complacent. The first real snow/ice storm every year always seems to result in a bunch of slide-offs. In a case like this, even if you managed to stop properly, the odds were high that someone would hit you from behind.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Its easy to get complacent. The first real snow/ice storm every year always seems to result in a bunch of slide-offs. In a case like this, even if you managed to stop properly, the odds were high that someone would hit you from behind.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I would be looking for an end run around or ditching it, over stopping on the road with others flying up on my butt.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    WHY is it that, every year, and with people who have lived in the climate their entire lives, at the beginning of the cold / snow season, they forget how to drive in winter weather, every year? :nuts:

Often, even worse are those who tout, 'But, I have 4-wheel drive!". Is that so? Well, every car and truck has had four-wheel brakes for a hundred years, and that's what your using to stop. :facepalm:

Lastly, for those who are 'nervous' about driving on multi-lane roads in traffic in such conditions, stay off the roads, take side-roads, or get in the outside lane. In any other lane, you're an accident waiting to happen.

Leave the house sooner. Better to get there early than not get there at all.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It's amazing that people were driving those speeds in those conditions!

Apparently, you havent been around Michigan drivers enough. They are almost as crazy as Illinois drivers.

This happens every single year, yet people still fail to learn. I drive I-196, I-94, and US-31 between Holland and South Bend every day. I have people tailgate me, flash their high beams at me, flip me off all the time. And thats on bad roads where I stay in the slow lane at a reasonable speed. They are idiots up here.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My understanding was this was black ice and that people could not stop. Braking had no effect at all on the vehicles and they didn't realize it until it was too late.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    My understanding was this was black ice and that people could not stop. Braking had no effect at all on the vehicles and they didn't realize it until it was too late.

Which is why I do periodic brake checks in bad weather. If my brake check reveals slick roads, I adjust my speed accordingly.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Which is why I do periodic brake checks in bad weather. If my brake check reveals slick roads, I adjust my speed accordingly.

I agree. I also try to make sure to allow plenty of room between me and the other vehicles. I hate driving in Michigan even in good weather. The increased speed limits certainly don't help in situations like this.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom