Window Tinting: Does anybody still tint your windows?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just curious if people are still tinting the windows in their vehicles. I haven't tinted any windows in years. Maybe it is a younger generation thing and with my eyes getting worse as I get older I need all the help I can get to see the DUI scooters and young kids with no fear and lack of experience driving.

I know the law states that windows must have visible light transmittance of at least 30 percent.
    The Indiana window tint statute prohibits operating a vehicle whose front, side or rear windows are tinted to make it impossible for the occupants to be seen from outside the vehicle.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I need to on my Jeep but haven't gotten around to it. On my old RAV4, I had them tinted as dark as I legally could because the sun bothers my eyes so bad.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Many cars come with some level of factory tint now. I had our car tinted, but the truck came with it from the factory.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I have my HHR panel tinted pretty dark (won't say how dark because it might be over the limit) and with the lack of windows in the back and dark tinted front windows it is very dark and tough to see out of it you aren't used to it, but I love it.

My wife has a Jeep Patriot that we bought last year and she wants to get her windows tinted but not as dark as mine...we just haven't gotten around to it yet.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I agree with you on needing all the help I can get to see. They tinted the windows on my work car not too long ago and I hate it. I cant see anything at night now. I have to drive around in the freezing cold with my windows down if I want to see whats going on. Lol!

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    R&B Custom Truck in Valpo is by far the best and most reasonable priced. It's on RT 6 . They sell trailers also. Guarantee your windows for as long as you own the car.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I had the front windows of my truck tinted and really like it. It's not too dark but still cuts the sun a lot in the summer. My mom's Fusion is tinted so dark I can barely see anything in the dark, but it was that way when we bought it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I never have tinted the windows other than what the factory does and never will. I take my sunglasses off at night. I ever understood why one would want to reduce their ability to see at night or in low light.

What I hate is driver side so dark I can't see if they see me coming at them. I figure that's a natural selection thing though, it's far more likely to be fatal for them.

Relaxed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    I have my vehicles windows tinted. Unless you are tinting beyond what is legal, which I have done in the past (had limo tint on all windows, had to roll windows down at night to see much of anything while backing) , I don't find the tint too light diminishing. I prefer the little extra shade and reduction of glare. Certainly just a preference though.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    30%?
    raw001.jpg

30% is the windshield. The rest of the car is 5%.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING THAT!!!!
    Driving in the rain or on back roads at night was near impossible to see.
    Side note, I never got a ticket for the tint in that car. Speeding among a few other tickets, but another story for another time!

*I do miss that car though*

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Had mine tinted a year after buying a new car with a extra dark "eyebrow" on top of the windshield. I felt like I was blazing in the hot sun before I got it and love it now. The installer said that most SUV's come from the factory with over the legal tinting and that very few people get ticketed. Maybe some of our LEO's can comment on just how picky they get with tinting. I'm sure it directly relates to how much of a d*bag you are to the officer as to whether he rights it up or not.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My eyes are really sensitive but I keep sunglasses hanging from my visor in my truck. I'm too cheap to pay for window tint.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Years ago when I lived in Southern Indiana the way LEO would test was if you could read your Drivers License through the tinted window it was legal. If not then you got a ticket and had to peel on the spot. That was over 20 years ago.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I haven't tinted a car since my first. I am however getting my truck done on the top so I can camp back there. Probably the same with the jeep

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    I tint all my vehicles, wife included. My trucks are possibly darker than legal, but I won't self-incriminate on here. Love window tint and will never have a vehicle without.

Tint also helps with prying eyes...well, that and my 2-way alarm / pager system and a quick response time by yours truly.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I get mine done, everything at 5% except my truck, the light isn't as bad in it, but I have to have my windows tinted, it doesn't hurt that my buddy does it professionally and I get mine for free.

Top Bottom