• ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Yesterday the ranger at Willow Slough told my dad that they are shutting down for 8 months starting in June. A private firm is renovating it, and when it reopens it won't be free. They're building a storefront to sell ammo and targets.

Anyone have any additional info/rumors? Any other DNR ranges doing this?

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    That sucks. I like the more informal nature of Willow Slough. I've been to Kingsbury, and while the facilities are nicer than Willow Slough, it was busier and more of a hassle.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Looks like there is funding for it.
    2. Department of Natural Resources (300) $4,000,000
    Deer Creek and Willow Slough Shooting Ranges
    The Division of Fish and Wildlife is requesting funding to construct two new shooting ranges at
    Deer Creek Fish and Wildlife Area and Willow Slough Fish and Wildlife Area. The Deer Creek
    location will be located in Greencastle, and the Willow Slough range will be located near
    Morocco. There is a lack of public shooting ranges in these areas and the demand for
    recreational and personal protection activity is on the rise. These sites would provide the proper
    locations to facilitate firearm proficiency. These shooting ranges would be outdoors and would
    be open to rifles and pistols. There will also be space for basic shotgun and archery practice. No
    skeet or trap facilities are planned for these facilities.
    Funding: 2013 General Fund – Fish and Wildlife General R&R $1,000,000
    2014 Federal Funds – Wildlife Restoration Act $3,000,000
    http://www.in.gov/sba/files/bc_agenda_20141217.pdf

2500ekW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville

That makes it sound like they are building an additional range site somewhere on the Willow Slough grounds, not renovating the existing one. Since that is unlikely, I'll just assume vague politician language saying "spend $4mil doing stuff at two ranges." It still doesn't explain the private firm being involved.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    That makes it sound like they are building an additional range site somewhere on the Willow Slough grounds, not renovating the existing one. Since that is unlikely, I'll just assume vague politician language saying "spend $4mil doing stuff at two ranges." It still doesn't explain the private firm being involved.

That's the way it reads...

"The Division of Fish and Wildlife is requesting funding to construct two new shooting ranges at
    Deer Creek Fish and Wildlife Area and Willow Slough Fish and Wildlife Area. The Deer Creek
    location will be located in Greencastle, and the Willow Slough range will be located near
    Morocco. There is a lack of public shooting ranges in these areas and the demand for
    recreational and personal protection activity is on the rise. These sites would provide the proper
    locations to facilitate firearm proficiency."

There is no lack of range in the area. Willow Slough already exists.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sad. Soon nothing will be free anymore.

Never was free, it was funded by taxpayer dollars. Now it will be taxpayer dollars PLUS taxpayer fees. No free rides.

If the new facility is well run and well maintained, a little additional fee might be worth it. I had several bad experiences there with foolish people doing stupid stuff and stopped going there.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Never was free, it was funded by taxpayer dollars. Now it will be taxpayer dollars PLUS taxpayer fees. No free rides.

If the new facility is well run and well maintained, a little additional fee might be worth it. I had several bad experiences there with foolish people doing stupid stuff and stopped going there.

These ranges are as free as Obama's community college program.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    The change at Atterbury was a vast improvement IMO. It's a lot safer now then it was before and I welcome that.

At $6.00 an hour it's well worth it to me for the improvement that took place.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There has been talk, and even a public info meeting about doing something similar at the Clark state forest range. Haven't heard any more about it recently, but if paying $5-10 for range time keeps the riff raff away, I'm all for it.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Whatever the fees will be, IL residents should be charged at least double unless they work and pay income taxes in IN. This is how IN residents are treated in some places in IL. Seems only fair.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom