• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    I am still awaiting the arrival of my first AR(should be in between 8/30 and 10/30) and I would like to have a scope ready to mount on it. I am looking at the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 mil dot with a Burris PEPR mount. Does anybody know if it will fit this gun.

ST-15 16 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5035-MLS] - $875.95 : Spikes Tactical

My main concern is that the mount will be too high and I won't have enough elevation adjustment to sight it in at 100 yards. Any help before I shell out 400 bucks would be awesome.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I am still awaiting the arrival of my first AR(should be in between 8/30 and 10/30) and I would like to have a scope ready to mount on it. I am looking at the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 mil dot with a Burris PEPR mount. Does anybody know if it will fit this gun.

ST-15 16 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5035-MLS] - $875.95 : Spikes Tactical

My main concern is that the mount will be too high and I won't have enough elevation adjustment to sight it in at 100 yards. Any help before I shell out 400 bucks would be awesome.

You elevations adj should be fine, however, in order to keep the standard front sight post out of the scope view, you'll have to have a pretty good riser or very tall rings, which is going to nearly eliminate your cheek to stock weld and make it difficult to place multiple rounds on target with accuracy.

My :twocents:, get a full floating railed foregrip, lose the front sight post and put on a gas block only. Then you can pair up the supplied rear flip up with a front flip as BUIS, that will allow you to mount the scope in a position where you can get a solid cheek weld.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    That is definitely something I will be looking into. Thanks for sparing me some extreme disappointment after an already long wait for a gun. Is the full floating handgrip an easy change for an inexperienced guy?

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    The PEPR height should be fine. The A2 front sight tends to blur out when viewed through a scope because the focus is much further down range so this shouldn't be much of a worry. You can see the front sight if you look for it but it will be so far out of focus that you tend to tune it out. Try it out, if you find it annoying, then consider replacing the gas block (with integral front sight) with a gas block with no front sight. Changing the foregrip is no big deal with the right tool. For the gas block, if you are inexperienced, you will want to enlist the aid of someone with experience at doing this.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Does anyone have any negative opinions on the scope/mount I have chosen? All specs of these items seem to be of good quality.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I have no criticism of the mount. I don't have one but I've never read anything bad about them. The height on the mount is what you need in order to get a proper cheek weld and to let you see over the front sight post. That's why the PEPR, and many others just like it (LaRue, AD, Bobro) are made to be that high :).

The scope however requires some thought. What's the purpose for your rife (excellent choice BTW :):)? What distance will you typically be shooting with this rife? Are you looking to put lots of holes into a tiny little circle at the range or do you want a SHTF gun?

The reason I ask those questions is because I just recently replaced my Nikon 3-9x with a Vortex 1-4. The 3-9 made it very easy to see the target at the range but wasn't particularly well suited to a SHTF-type rifle. IMHO 3x is too much magnification for short range shooting and 9x is WAY more than you need to hit a man-sized target out to 300-400 yards.

So really it just comes down to "what do you want it for"? I have nothing against leupold or the scope you've picked (never seen one in person), but if you're building a SHTF setup or won't be shooting more than 300 yards then you may want to give some serious thought to dialing that magnification down.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Does anyone have any negative opinions on the scope/mount I have chosen? All specs of these items seem to be of good quality.
    I have a Leupold 3-9x40 VX-R Patrol mounted on a .308 and it is a fine scope. It is mounted on an ADM QD mount. Good quality and made in USA. The mil-dot crosshairs are a bit too thick to suit my tastes.

I just purchased a Nikon P223 3-9x40 scope to go on an AR15 but don't have it mounted yet. The crosshairs are finer than the Leupold and it has the BDC for 223. Glass seems to be just as clear and it does have the exposed turrents which I like on the VX-R patrol. The mount is a Burris PEPR QD which appears to be of high quality. The scope is made in the Phillipines and the Burris mount is made in China if that matters to you. I have talked with several folks at the range who have this scope and no-one had anything bad to say about it.

Hope this helps.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i made this thread some time ago detailing my leupold experiances.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/182649-why_i_hate_leupold.html

i actually keep a leupold mk4 (1150 dollar scope) on my gunshow table to use as a comparision peice to the 700 dollar vortex pst. the pst always wins and is 450 cheaper with a better warrenty. there are so many better options on the market today than leupold.

as far as the burris pepr mount i think that part of your decision is spot on.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Thank you all for the feedback. The primary purpose for the gun will likely be target shooting however it will be my only choice for SHTF as well. I realize the scope is a bit much for close range but the mount does give the option to put something like a red dot on top. Does anyone forsee that as being an issue. I am new to this and although it may sound good to me I have no experience and likely I am not considering something. Also just a quick question of if I made a good decision on spikes for my first AR.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Thank you all for the feedback. The primary purpose for the gun will likely be target shooting however it will be my only choice for SHTF as well. I realize the scope is a bit much for close range but the mount does give the option to put something like a red dot on top. Does anyone forsee that as being an issue. I am new to this and although it may sound good to me I have no experience and likely I am not considering something. Also just a quick question of if I made a good decision on spikes for my first AR.

That's one way to go. I chose to go for a quick-detach scope mount made by American Defense and a flip-up rear sight, The mount is considerably more expensive than the PEPR but I chose it so I could practice with both the scope and irons without having to re-zero every time I shoot irons. Burris makes a quick-detach version of the PEPR as well if you're interested in it, although I have no idea how reliable it is returning to zero after you remount it.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I went with a Nikon M-223 2x8 and mount. The burris mount should be almost the same as my Nikon. I have a front site post and had 0 issues with it blocking my view. It seemed like a good close/distance compromise for defense and coyote hunting. I have really liked it for a do all weapon. I have a 18" match free float AR in addition now, so the carbine just has a red dot on it. Good luck with it, you find yourself broke from feeding it now :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

That's one way to go. I chose to go for a quick-detach scope mount made by American Defense and a flip-up rear sight, The mount is considerably more expensive than the PEPR but I chose it so I could practice with both the scope and irons without having to re-zero every time I shoot irons. Burris makes a quick-detach version of the PEPR as well if you're interested in it, although I have no idea how reliable it is returning to zero after you remount it.

The PEPR is a nice mount, for $99 or less it's pretty solid. But, a QD system would be nice if you just to just shoot irons easily. I have an American Denfence mount on my AR-10, hold its zero just fine, but like has been stated, price jumps up. Burris overall makes good mounts for the money, a lot less than American Defence or LaRue, so I'd have faith in the QD PEPR if you're looking at it.

As for the red dot, you could mount it on top of the PEPR, or just use the round tops and get an offset mount if you put a quad rail on it and mount a reflex sight to the offset.

Just another thought.

Nice choice on the rifle by the way :yesway: I've had one on order since April 3rd, I need to e-mail and check the status soon.

Should be one fun set up :rockwoot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i had a smith 15-22 with a scope and a backup reddot once. i had the burris pepr mount and i mounted the dot on top on the rings like your talking about doing. within a week i ordered a 45 degree offsett because once you pick upr head up that high i had alot of issues finding the dot:twocents:

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Vette I wondered about how comfortable it would be to have a sight that high. I figured I would wait until I got the scope mounted before I made that choice but it's not going to hurt anything to get a mount that is capable of doing it. If anything I can mount a light or laser on it if the need arises.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Vette I wondered about how comfortable it would be to have a sight that high. I figured I would wait until I got the scope mounted before I made that choice but it's not going to hurt anything to get a mount that is capable of doing it. If anything I can mount a light or laser on it if the need arises.

thats kind of why i bought the rings your talking about. its impossibable to have to many options even if the reddot didnt work

Top Bottom