Will the Government 'nationalize' your private 401k retirement savings?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not sure if 'nationalize' is the correct term, seizure may be more accurate? It is proposals like this one that would prevent me from ever voting for a pro-gun Democrat. I have to look at more than guns when I vote. The NRA may support Brad Ellsworth over Dan Coats, but one thing is for sure, if ANY Republican, no matter how distasteful he may be, is in Evan Bayh's senate seat then there is no chance of a Hoosier voting for crap like this. But Ellsworth has already caved in on the Health Care issue despite overwhelming Hoosier opposition, I suspect he would cave in again under Obama's thumb on an issue like this one.

Republicans Sound Alarm on Administration Plan to Seize 401(k)s
    by Connie Hair (more by this author)
    Posted 05/04/2010 ET
    Updated 05/04/2010 ET
    Republicans Sound Alarm on Administration Plan to Seize 401(k)s - HUMAN EVENTS

In February, the White House released its “Annual Report on the Middle Class” containing new regulations favored by Big Labor including a bailout of critically underfunded union pension plans through “retirement security” options.

The radical solution most favored by Big Labor is the seizure of private 401(k) plans for government disbursement -- which lets them off the hook for their collapsing retirement scheme. And, of course, the Obama administration is eager to accommodate their buddies.

Vice President Joe Biden floated the idea, called “Guaranteed Retirement Accounts” (GRAs), in the February “Middle Class” report.

In conjunction with the report’s release, the Obama administration jointly issued through the Departments of Labor and Treasury a “Request for Information” regarding the “annuitization” of 401(k) plans through “Lifetime Income Options” in the form of a notice to the public of proposed issuance of rules and regulations. (pdf)

House Republican Leader John Boehner (Ohio) and a group of House Republicans are mounting an effort to fight back.

The American people have become painfully aware over the past year that elections sometimes have calamitous consequences. Republicans lack the votes (for now) to reign in the Obama administration’s myriad nationalization plans for everything from health care to the automobile industry.

Now the backdoor bulls-eye is on your 401(k) plan and the trillions of dollars the government would control through seizure, regulation and federal disbursement of mandatory retirement accounts.

Boehner and the group are sounding the alarm, warning bureaucrats to keep their hands off of America’s private retirement plans.

Just when you thought it was safe to come up for air after the government takeover of health care.

The entirety of the House GOP Savings Recovery Group letter outling the issue that was sent last night to the Labor and Treasury secretaries:

The Honorable Hilda L. Solis
    Secretary
    U.S. Department of Labor
    200 Constitution Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20210

The Honorable Timothy Geithner
    Secretary
    U.S. Department of the Treasury
    1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20210

Dear Secretaries Solis and Geithner:

As members of the Republican Savings Solutions Group, we write today to express our strong opposition to any proposal to eliminate or federalize private-sector defined contribution pension plans, such as 401(k)s, or impose burdensome new requirements upon the businesses, large and small, who choose to offer these plans to their employees.

In the Annual Report of the White House Task Force on the Middle Class, Vice President Biden discussed at length the creation of so-called “Guaranteed Retirement Accounts, (GRAs)” which would provide for protection from “inflation and market risk” and potentially “guarantee a specified real return above the rate of inflation” -- presumably at taxpayer expense. In the Report, the Vice President recommended “further study of these issues.”

The Vice President’s comments are troubling, insofar as they come on the heels of testimony before Congress from supporters of GRAs proposing to eliminate the favorable tax treatment currently afforded to 401(k) plans, and instead use those dollars to fund government-invested GRAs into which all employees would be required to contribute a portion of their salary -- again, with a government subsidy. These advocates would, essentially, dismantle the present private-sector 401(k) system, replacing it instead with a government-run investment plan, the size and scope of which remain to be seen. This despite data showing that 90 percent of households have a favorable opinion of the existing 401(k)/IRA system.

In light of these facts, we write today to express our opposition in the strongest terms to any effort to “nationalize” the private 401(k) system, or any proposal that would dismantle or disfavor the private 401(k) system in favor of a government-run retirement security regime.

Similarly, and more recently, the Departments of Labor and Treasury have jointly issued a “Request for Information” regarding the “annuitization” of 401(k) plans through “Lifetime Income Options.” While we appreciate the Departments’ seeking guidance and information from all parties and stakeholders in advance of regulatory activity, we strongly urge that the Departments not proceed with any regulation in this area before they have carefully and thoroughly considered all of the information received.

More specifically, we urge that the Departments take no action to mandate that plan sponsors -- often, small businesses -- include a “lifetime income” or “annuitization” option if they choose to offer a 401(k) plan to their employees, or that beneficiaries take some or all of their retirement savings in such an option. Data shows that 70 percent of Americans oppose the concept of a mandated annuity or government payout of their 401(k) plan. On a more fundamental level, Congress should not be in the business of choosing “winners” and “losers” among retirement security stakeholders. Instead, we urge the Departments to make it easier for employers to include retirement income solutions in their savings plans and to help workers learn more about the value of their retirement savings as a source of retirement income. Finally, to the extent new mandates and bureaucratic red tape from Washington push small employers out of the business of offering these plans to their employees, we would submit such an effort weakens, rather than strengthens retirement security.

We appreciate your consideration of our views in these important matters and stand ready to work with you and the Administration to promote secure and adequate retirement savings for all Americans.

Sincerely,

House Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH)
    Rep. John Kline (R-MN)
    Rep. Dave Camp (R-MI)
    Rep. Sam Johnson (R-TX)
    Rep. Dean Heller (R-NV)
    Rep. Brett Guthrie (R-KY)
    Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN)
    Rep. Pat Tiberi (R-OH)
    Rep. Bob Latta (R-OH)
    Rep. Erik Paulsen (R-MN)
    Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-KS)
    Rep. Ed Royce (R-CA)
    Rep. Buck McKeon (R-CA)​

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Interesting. I remember this getting floated after the election, before the inauguration I believe. Do they realize there will be no money in those accounts if they start debating this? I will cash mine out and pay the tax penalty right away and bury the money. They will just screw things up. That's a lot of money coming out of the stock market.

WHAT HAPPENED

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Largo, FL
    Interesting. I remember this getting floated after the election, before the inauguration I believe. Do they realize there will be no money in those accounts if they start debating this? I will cash mine out and pay the tax penalty right away and bury the money. They will just screw things up. That's a lot of money coming out of the stock market.

I tried that and they told me NO unless I "fall within 7 things" and I was pissed. I am going to call them tomorrow and see what i can do... IT IS MY F$%^&@ MONEY NOT THIERS...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Elections have consequences.

And remember, these GRAs will be backed by the full faith and credit of the US Govt, just like Social Security.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've been thinking about stopping my 401k contribution. I can't close out the account unless I get fired or quit. I don't know what would make anyone think IRA's would be safe if they nationalize 401k's.

Who is John Galt? If the talk get serious on nationalizing them, I will take out the maximum loan amount and put it in silver.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Alex Jones said yesterday that the IMF is asking for a piece of Greek pensions as the price of bailing out their economy. As our dollar is grossly overvalued, the same could happen here.

Buy a few acres, seed, and guns, and band together with your neighbors.

WHAT HAPPENED

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Largo, FL
    Alex Jones said yesterday that the IMF is asking for a piece of Greek pensions as the price of bailing out their economy. As our dollar is grossly overvalued, the same could happen here.

Buy a few acres, seed, and guns, and band together with your neighbors.

and dont forget the silver and gold if you can...

The IMF is going to be coming for us soon..

AJ KICKS A$$ :patriot::patriot::patriot:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    This is nothing new. I remember back in the mid 70's the idea was floated of seizing all private pension systems to bolster Social Security. It caused a tremendous outcry and was quickly abandoned.

In view of the fact that the Social Security system has no actual money (it was long ago embezzled by Congress to fund their giveaway programs) and has nothing but government IOUs, it's only going to be a matter of time before they try it again.

All of those billions sitting in our pension systems are a temptation they won't be able to resist. Be ready.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :popcorn:
    As stated by others some of us can NOT take out our 401(K) money even if we wanted to unless you meet certain very narrow items that must be documented. (ie. Down payment for house, major medical treatment, etc..).

Putting the money into an IRA or savings also won't work. Recall what the feds did back during the depression when they had a "national bank holiday" and all the safety deposit boxes were raided for the gold.

Best bet if this continue to go ahead is pull what you can and convert it to other type of goods (ie. not paper dollars but commodities [land, food, things people will need and you can trade]).

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    As stated by others some of us can NOT take out our 401(K) money even if we wanted to unless you meet certain very narrow items that must be documented. (ie. Down payment for house, major medical treatment, etc..).

Kinda makes you realize the real reason for all the Government restrictions on 401K's. I don't like the fact that they tell me when and how I can access my own money. I guess the reason is so that the money will always be there, when they need it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Kinda makes you realize the real reason for all the Government restrictions on 401K's. I don't like the fact that they tell me when and how I can access my own money. I guess the reason is so that the money will always be there, when they need it.

Now rambone that is not true. They put the restriction cause you and I can NOT manage our own funds! Besides that money is for when you retire and are too old to work. Big brother knows better than you, you know. :n00b:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If they start pushing this bill, millions of people need to stop their weekly 401k contributions. Watch the stock market take a dive after a couple weeks and maybe the .gov will get the picture.

Who is John Galt?

Top Bottom