Will it hurt a dog's ears to be around the sound of gunfire?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    dog_zpsc69ab2b5.jpg

my buddy uses these on his dog to go to hippie concerts...big ass dog too

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Well the first link from 2005 says "could" effect a dogs hearing. The 2nd link from 2002 states...."Can" effect....I'm looking for "Does"......could and can is a broad brush, dog "could" be going deaf anyway......"Can" get water in dogs ears that "could" cause deafness....I know the dog I hunted with lived 12 yrs, was always in the water, lots of gunfire and "could" still hear things before we "can."

Clay319

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Boone County
    I have a six year old Lab that used to spend alot of time at my house range. She understood the range rules and sat just behind the firing line and watched. Last year I noticed she wasn't hearing me as well as she used to. I can't prove she has hearing loss as I have not had her tested. It just seems I have to be louder to get her attention. At any rate, she now goes to the garage when the shooting starts.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a six year old Lab that used to spend alot of time at my house range. She understood the range rules and sat just behind the firing line and watched. Last year I noticed she wasn't hearing me as well as she used to. I can't prove she has hearing loss as I have not had her tested. It just seems I have to be louder to get her attention. At any rate, she now goes to the garage when the shooting starts.

Thanks everyone with the great contributions. :rockwoot:

I think everyone's circumstances will be different, depending on proximity and frequency of exposure. We needed a kick start on training this pup to be comfortable around gunfire. There are a lot of very good suggestions on how to begin. Thanks again!

And the Salty Dog has my thanks and respect (AND PriestEG, AND your brother)!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Well the first link from 2005 says "could" effect a dogs hearing. The 2nd link from 2002 states...."Can" effect....I'm looking for "Does"......could and can is a broad brush, dog "could" be going deaf anyway......"Can" get water in dogs ears that "could" cause deafness....I know the dog I hunted with lived 12 yrs, was always in the water, lots of gunfire and "could" still hear things before we "can."

Well there you have it guys and girls, a surefire testimonial.

model60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    My bird dog and I are both old and yes we are both loosing our hearing but...many great days afield and many birds down. Age, gunfire or both?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you'd wear ear protection on the range then why would you leave your dog unprotected? If it'll hurt your ears it will hurt theirs. This is just common sense.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I guess it boiled down to what you are using. Dog can hear before human can. So my guess it yes, it could damage their ears. I read in somewhere there is a deaf dog due to near gun shots most of its life.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that gunfire can and will be detrimental to your dogs hearing.

I have to SERIOUSLY question any so called vet that claims gunfire can't harm a dogs hearing.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    My bird dog and I are both old and yes we are both loosing our hearing but...many great days afield and many birds down. Age, gunfire or both?

My beagle died just last year deaf as a stone his final 3 years (nearly 16 yo)..............never heard a gun shot in its life!

On the two articles mentioned above (one a dog mag the other a university) I would think that if there were any chance both would have been screaming for gun bans around all dogs! Just my :twocents:

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I have trained several bird dogs from puppies.. To prevent them from being "gun shy" the owner has to start out slow with the gun shots. I would start out with a .22 pistol and have someone shoot the pistol into the ground about 40 yds away from the puppy and me. Immediately after the shot I would stick a piece of something tasty in the dogs' mouth. I would repeat this several times then do it again the next day and again for several weeks. Gradually get a little closer, but never closer than 20 yds. Then change to a 20ga and get about 50yds away shoot low and away, then immediately give a treat. Gradually work closer in.
    This takes time depending on the dog, eventually they equate the gun fire to something good happening. Then if possible take them to a gun club and take the dog off in the distance from the shooters and stay with him and asssure him that everything is cool with the shooters and then bring him in a little closer but never too close at first. Never shoot a gun over a dogs' head or near them that has not been gun broke as there is a very good chance you will make him gun shy and it is a tough job to get them out of it.

Top Bottom