• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redhawk44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    SW Michigan
    My daughter who lives in Plainfield IN. is hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year, so I will be going to Plainfield in a couple of weeks. My question is this: I have a Michigan CPL and I understand that IN. honors Mi. cpls. Are there any particular places I should avoid, such as restaurants that serve liquor or other possible snags? Or is it pretty much seamless.

In Mi., we need to tell a traffic cop,if stopped, that we are carrying and produce the CPL and we can frequent bar/restaurants if they make 50+% of their money from food. We can't get snoccered while carrying, but i don't do that anyway.

Any special pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    My daughter who lives in Plainfield IN. is hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year, so I will be going to Plainfield in a couple of weeks. My question is this: I have a Michigan CPL and I understand that IN. honors Mi. cpls. Are there any particular places I should avoid, such as restaurants that serve liquor or other possible snags? Or is it pretty much seamless.

In Mi., we need to tell a traffic cop,if stopped, that we are carrying and produce the CPL and we can frequent bar/restaurants if they make 50+% of their money from food. We can't get snoccered while carrying, but i don't do that anyway.

Any special pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.
    Glad to hear you'll be down here in Hendricks County for Thanksgiving. The link below will help you out, here's the quick version.

Indiana recognizes all other State's handgun licenses. We call it an LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun) in these parts. Indiana law is silent on open carry (OC/CC both are cool here).
    Bars are fine for carry here, don't need to look at the financials to determine 51%. Not a must inform State. You can consume alcohol while carrying, I recommend moderation in this case. I'll have one, that is all.

Signs have no force of law, beware if the entire code reference is on the sign. I've never seen this but it could be out there.

Schools (K-12), licensed day cares, court houses, school buses and school property are off-limits.

Other than that while in Plainfield watch out for this guy who goes by Chezuki :laugh:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Sounds like Indiana is a little less stringent than Michigan. In Indiana it is legal to carry in a bar or restaurant, concealed or open. There is no law in Indiana that restricts this as far as I know (not a Lawyer but have carried for many years).

A "no gun" sign in Indiana is like a "no shoes, no shirt, no service sign", even if they have a sign saying no guns, it still is not illegal to do so, they can ask you to leave, then it only becomes illegal if you don't (considered trespassing).

Of course Government buildings and Schools are a no-no but you can pick up your kids on school property with a firearm in the car (I can't remember if you have to stay in the car with the gun or not). Note that Churches with schools are also covered by this law.

Legally, if you are stopped in your car in Indiana you do not have to inform a police officer you are armed, however I just consider it good sense to do so, as I don't want to surprise him.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When you get pulled over, hold your gun out the window while the cop walks up so he knows where it is. :rolleyes:

Yeah......
    Don't do that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When you get pulled over, hold your gun out the window while the cop walks up so he knows where it is. :rolleyes:

Yeah......
    Don't do that.
    Unless you are holding your cell phone up filming it and yelling "am I being detained" and then posting the link here for our entertainment.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Glad to hear you'll be down here in Hendricks County for Thanksgiving. The link below will help you out, here's the quick version.

Indiana recognizes all other State's handgun licenses. We call it an LTCH (License To Carry a Handgun) in these parts. Indiana law is silent on open carry (OC/CC both are cool here).
    Bars are fine for carry here, don't need to look at the financials to determine 51%. Not a must inform State. You can consume alcohol while carrying, I recommend moderation in this case. I'll have one, that is all.

Signs have no force of law, beware if the entire code reference is on the sign. I've never seen this but it could be out there.

Schools (K-12), licensed day cares, court houses, school buses and school property are off-limits.

Other than that while in Plainfield watch out for this guy who goes by Chezuki :laugh:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf
    Kelly, what is the entire code thing you referenced? Thanks

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Hmmm well that was an interesting read (I didn't read every post).

I have yet to see a sign other than the no Berettas/no 3rd gen S&Ws/no Desert Eagles except for the Colt-Walker and Colt SAA love child at Chuck E Cheese. Guy mentioned something about this in the class I attended a while back. It would have "IAW Indiana Code (blah blah blah code here) you are committing criminal trespass by being armed". This would negate the requirement for them to tell you to leave.

Concealed means concealed.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have yet to see a sign other than the no Berettas/no 3rd gen S&Ws/no Desert Eagles except for the Colt-Walker and Colt SAA love child at Chuck E Cheese. Guy mentioned something about this in the class I attended a while back. It would have "IAW Indiana Code (blah blah blah code here) you are committing criminal trespass by being armed". This would negate the requirement for them to tell you to leave.
    Ha, yeah I love the beretta and revolver signs lol.
    Thanks for bringing that sign stuff up though. Learned something new. Or if I had seen it before on here i didn't remember it at all.
    Not unlikely with my memory now.
    This wont change where I carry but it certainly may change my verbal response to any officers that show up if I'm "caught" carrying.

Just saw your edit. That's a BINGO!! " Concealed means concealed"

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Concealed means concealed.
    I’ve seen one in Northwest Indiana. Jared the Galleria of jewelry in Merrillville/Hobart. It’s a separate building on the Southlake Mall property.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Red hawk,
    dont worry about informing cops about things that are none of their business...

unless you you want to waste even more of your time, or feel like taking chances with your life!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you get pulled over, hold your #WALLET out the window while the cop walks up so he knows where it is. :rolleyes:

FIFY

And personally (this is not legal advise) when pulled over, and there is little to no chance the officer will see your concealed pistol as you sit in the car, if the officer asks "is there anything in the car I need to [be concerned with/know about/etc] but NOT a specific "are there any weapons on you?" (never been asked that myself) I answer "no officer, there is nothing you need to be concerned about." And that is truthful. Because as long as that pistol stays put, there is no reason to be concerned so its not worth mentioning. Our beloved Kirk Freeman, esq (and others) has done a fantastic job of doing his best to educate the LEO in this state about the fairly recent precedent that "officer safety" is not a valid excuse to disarm a citizen in a benign interaction and it takes Reasonable Articulable Suspicion (Im investigating an armed robbery and I think this could be the guy, not "he was 8mph over the speed limit") to disarm said citizen.

Now I guess if I was panicky and willing to shoot my way out of a measly traffic citation, I guess I should answer "yes". But since it will remain holstered, it is of no more consequence to the officer than my tire iron or the other sharp tools in my trunk. (at least not until he decides he needs to pull me out and search me for some odd reason.)

redhawk44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    SW Michigan
    OK thanks guys, I kinda thought that would be the case. I have been in and out of Indiana quite a bit in the past, living only 20 miles N of the border. We used to go to Elkhart quite a bit in the past. I just thought it might be a good idea to be sure of my footing
    on the gun issue. Thanks again....Joel

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    FIFY

And personally (this is not legal advise) when pulled over, and there is little to no chance the officer will see your concealed pistol as you sit in the car, if the officer asks "is there anything in the car I need to [be concerned with/know about/etc] but NOT a specific "are there any weapons on you?" (never been asked that myself) I answer "no officer, there is nothing you need to be concerned about." And that is truthful. Because as long as that pistol stays put, there is no reason to be concerned so its not worth mentioning. Our beloved Kirk Freeman, esq (and others) has done a fantastic job of doing his best to educate the LEO in this state about the fairly recent precedent that "officer safety" is not a valid excuse to disarm a citizen in a benign interaction and it takes Reasonable Articulable Suspicion (Im investigating an armed robbery and I think this could be the guy, not "he was 8mph over the speed limit") to disarm said citizen.

Now I guess if I was panicky and willing to shoot my way out of a measly traffic citation, I guess I should answer "yes". But since it will remain holstered, it is of no more consequence to the officer than my tire iron or the other sharp tools in my trunk. (at least not until he decides he needs to pull me out and search me for some odd reason.)
    Agreed!
    I had one ask me if I had any weapons or drugs in the car. I said “nothing illegal “!!!
    I had two(or three) long guns in plain view on the back seat and two handguns on me, AND drugs (prescription)!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom