• ...and so much more!
  • gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    Hello!

Aaron has passed the torch to me to carry on the addictive Rimfire Falling Steel match series at Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club in Brookston.

I am largely intending to keep many of the details that he had established over the past two years. These include:

* Having the match on the Sunday that follows the USPSA match (generally the first Sunday of the month)
    * Using 5 of the USPSA stages (but with falling steel)
    * Allowing up to 2 gun entries per person
    * Beginning the match (shots fired) at 11 am - partly due to setup likely occurring the morning of the match
    * Having the match from March until November - weather dependent
    * In the event that USPSA did not hold their match the day before our planned match, I will likely come up with some alternate fun stages despite not being USPSA-like

I'd love to get feedback from people who have enjoyed the series already and to hear from those of you who may be interested in giving it a try!

I apologize to those who would be interested but cannot make Sunday matches due to church conflicts. The ability to use the fantastic Wildcat USPSA stages is too great of an asset. However, please let me know if this is you - if the voices are numerous, it might have me going back to the drawing board.

Anyway, we hope to have a great RFS season and we sincerely hope to see you there!
    Mick

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    I only made it to one match last year, but definitely plan to make it to more this year. Thanks for picking up the torch on this.

I think this will be a good gateway match for kids. I’m working on getting a 10/22 set up with a red dot for that.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    This was the original post about last year’s matches:

Basically think USPSA stages but with the targets changed to steel plates, and only using .22LR.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    This was the original post about last year’s matches:

Basically think USPSA stages but with the targets changed to steel plates, and only using .22LR.
    This.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Cool! But way beyond my abilities. I can see with the way ammo prices and availability along with primers being scarce that this could really grow.

Plus, my .22 doesn't knock the plates off the Texas star at my range. Are these special set ups?

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    It's all light-weight poppers and smaller disks designed for 22s. If you have a 22 rifle, it is most definitely within anyone's capability. Some of the farther targets can be a little tough with a pistol if you don't feel like Annie Oakley. Either way, the squads tend to be small and the competitors overly friendly. It makes for a very family-friendly and comfortable environment to practice marksmanship skills.

Also, you start at the low-ready with pistols and rifles, so no need to worry about holsters and draw times. You do want a number of mag pouches/pockets, though - especially if competing in a class that limits mags to 10 rounds.

Here is the official site: https://www.rfsteel22lr.com/

Mick

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Cool! But way beyond my abilities. I can see with the way ammo prices and availability along with primers being scarce that this could really grow.

Plus, my .22 doesn't knock the plates off the Texas star at my range. Are these special set ups?
    It's really not that difficult to do. All of the falling steel used, including the stars are calibrated for .22lr. My Mark IV with CCI standard velocity works just fine. Some of those vids are at a higher level match, which ups the difficulty. I would describe the stages at Wildcat as fun and friendly. I've shot three falling steel matches there and it is a lot of fun. Their Steel Challenge matches are top notch also. I shoot them for fun and to challenge myself.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI

As mentioned the steel thats used is sized and weighted for 22LR. EVERY match I've ever shot at has all levels of abilities, and ages from younguns to super seniors. If you can handle a gun safely, and follow some simple range commands, it's a good time. Besides falling steel, there's other steel games out there, rimfire challenge, steel challenge, and plate rack matches

gottabeoutdoors

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2017
    Frankfort
    There is a potential for our March match to happen - it'd be March 6th. I'll post in the INGO forum as we get closer.

Also, here is a link to where we have an RFS mailing list sign up form: https://wvrpc.org/rfs/

I'll also post this in it's own thread so it isn't buried in post # 16.

I promise that usage of the mailing list will be limited to match information. People will not be spammed on this list.

Thanks!
    Mick

Reactions: Ark

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As mentioned the steel thats used is sized and weighted for 22LR. EVERY match I've ever shot at has all levels of abilities, and ages from younguns to super seniors. If you can handle a gun safely, and follow some simple range commands, it's a good time. Besides falling steel, there's other steel games out there, rimfire challenge, steel challenge, and plate rack matches
    Thanks for the info. I did shoot a Steel Challenge last summer. I'll do some reading on this. It does look like fun.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I made it to two matches last year. It would have been three but that one was cancelled.
    It's a little over two hours from Bloomington IN but SOOOooo much fun. Bonus for me getting to ride the motorcycle up and back. Makes for a full day of fun!
    We get to hit steel made for .22's AND run and gun which adds more to the process. I liked "gaming" the stages to see what would work best as well as trying to keep track of how many shots I'd fired to time the mags changes while moving-not shooting.
    It will be more expensive now with the gas prices and I am still debating about tomorrow as it looks like a no-go on the bike tomorrow and my other ride is a full size pick up. YIKES.

Top Bottom