• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    She had applied for a gun permit in the beginning of December. She checked that she had been seen by a psychiatrist one time only in 1993, related to a divorce, because she absolutely refused to lie on the application. She mailed her application in to the state police. They sent it back in early February saying that she needed documentation from the psychiatrist stating she would be mentally stable enough to possess a firearm (or something to that effect). She called the psychiatrist’s office, but they purge their documents after 7 years, and had no record of her visit. She got a letter from them stating this fact, and she mailed it back about mid-February. Today an ISP Lieutenant called to speak with her about the visit. He wanted to know what the physician’s diagnosis was. She told him that if he made one, he never told her what it was, and that the psychiatrist saw no reason for her to have follow-up appointments, which was exactly what she put on the letter of explanation when she mailed it back to Indianapolis. The lieutenant said that he saw no reason to explore the issue further and would approve the application, and that they had to be careful about whom they gave licenses. I know that many of you would say that she should have checked no on the box, but my wife is not a liar. She had done nothing wrong. I just wondered what other people’s thoughts on the matter were. The long skinny is that my wife is finally getting her LTCH!

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I think after the recent scrutiny the LTCH process has had in the media they are looking harder at applicants:dunno:

Being truthful worked out with a little hassel but she got it :rockwoot:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Another reason why we need to push for what VT has. NO PERMIT NEEDED FOR HANDGUN. YOU CAN OC/CC PERIOD! & that state has the lowest crime rate. Hum...

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Seems like she did the right thing, and it worked out OK. As a friend of mine says, do right and risk the consequences!

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The question on the form asks:

"Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care or an emotional or mental illness?"

Besides being very poorly worded, the question is specific to ask about treatment. Treatment suggests that a diagnosis was made and then some additional care or follow-up was provided. The applicant in this case however, was only evaluated and after the evaluation was completed, the physician neither recommended or conducted any further treatment.

I think she should have answered no and I think if she had done so, it would have been 100% honest.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There is a difference between being treated and just going in for a eval. There are a few things that you want to be " safer than sorry " on tho. Being it's a life time permit, she can now rest assured that everything is legit. I once had a similiar issue when getting a life insurance policy. I found out later I had accidently omitted something and called my agent and got it corrected. I wanted this policy for " piece of mind ", and didn't want to worry about the mistake maybe causing an issue for my family later.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    I am so happy your wife got her permit, and didn't get discourged. Half of the people this probably has happened too, probably just gave up on trying to get a LTCH.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I think since she wasn't treated, she would of been ok to answer
    no. But she did what she thought was right...good for her. I think
    the Police Lt. did a good job talking to her an he probably saw the
    same thing, that she was honest, an hadn't been treated an probably
    could of just as well said no to the question an been ok. It all worked
    out....congrats!

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Thanks. She caught her husband cheating and in one day lost her husband, her home and her job, because they worked in the same department, and she had to move back to Indiana with her mother. No way she could have made the house payment on her pay alone. Good thing for him that she didn't have her license back then [wink]. A lot of people would have given up. She was discouraged when she got the letter in the mail. She just kept plugging away.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Great for your wife on being honest. Great for the ISP LT for helping out the citizen.
    Congrats!

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Another reason why we need to push for what VT has. NO PERMIT NEEDED FOR HANDGUN. YOU CAN OC/CC PERIOD! & that state has the lowest crime rate. Hum...

The problem with such a system is that we would not have reciprocity with other states. In other words, we would not be able to carry in other states unless we obtained non-resident permits froms states like Utah, Florida, etc.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Glad things worked out for OP's wife.

The problem with such a system is that we would not have reciprocity with other states. In other words, we would not be able to carry in other states unless we obtained non-resident permits froms states like Utah, Florida, etc.

Depends on where you put your priorities. Alaska has the best system in this regard.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    +1 to the wifey for having ethics and standards.

She told the truth regardless of the possible consequences. +1 to the ISP for being cautious with the granting of licenses (yeah, I know, I know... we shouldn't need one in the first place).

Kiss that woman and take her to the range! :)

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    The problem with such a system is that we would not have reciprocity with other states. In other words, we would not be able to carry in other states unless we obtained non-resident permits from states like Utah, Florida, etc.
    I don't see that as a problem. If you don't have to spend money to get an Indiana permit, you can spend it on an out of state permit, if you choose. Plus I doubt if your lifetime IN LTCH would be invalid, just because you no longer need it in Indiana.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    As psychiatry advances, so will diagnoses.

What does not constitute a mental illness today will tomorrow.

More fodder for the antis.

Interesting how this has been turned around on us. At the dawn of modern psychology, the anti-gun/weapons movement would have been seen as a form of mass hysteria/psychosis.

Since the liberalization of psychology, the group which loves weaponry is seen as having the same, and more: Weaponry makes up for something we supposedly lack.

I am not in the mental health field, but did spend a lot of time as a teenager with some rather well-known psychiatric professionals deciding my course in life - not a as a patient, but as a friend, in case any people related to my handgun permit should be reading this.

Though I ultimately decided to go a different route, I still try to keep up with psychology and psychiatry.

Josh

Top Bottom