Why would someone lie about a Description of a gun up for sale?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    My brother is looking for a good 30/30. I found one on HoosierTopics.com. I called the guy and he told me he had a like new Marlin 30/30. I asked him the model he said he did not know. I asked if he was the original buyer, he said yes he bought the gun new in the box about a year ago. We settled on a price and I drove over 40 mins one way to meet him. When I got there he had a Marlin Glenfield model 30A not make since 1983. Had rust all over it. Stock was beat up and the bluing was very thin. Why would he misrepresent his gun so much. He must have thought I was blind. I had this happen to me about a year ago on a hand gun. I just don't understand why someone would do this, it could only work out bad for them.....

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I wont do anything without pics first unless I aready know who im buying from. There are always going to be afew bad apples around. I always offer pictures of things im selling too so there are no surprises from either party involved. CYA

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    He fed me the line that he did not have a camera, dumb on my part, Heck my 74 yr old grandma has a digital camera......

I wont do anything without pics first unless I aready know who im buying from. There are always going to be afew bad apples around. I always offer pictures of things im selling too so there are no surprises from either party involved. CYA

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I will no longer use HT for anything, if you find my thread you'll find a some what similar incident.

I've learned not to drive anywhere without pics and exact model number.

I'm sorry for your event, just no real way of knowing ya know :dunno:

Gosh every cell phone now has a camera that can upload pictures...theres really no excuse for not being able to take pictures... if one doesnt have a digital camera even walmart has disposable digital cameras. that take crap pictures but their enough to show something

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My brother is looking for a good 30/30. I found one on HoosierTopics.com. I called the guy and he told me he had a like new Marlin 30/30. I asked him the model he said he did not know. I asked if he was the original buyer, he said yes he bought the gun new in the box about a year ago. We settled on a price and I drove over 40 mins one way to meet him. When I got there he had a Marlin Glenfield model 30A not make since 1983. Had rust all over it. Stock was beat up and the bluing was very thin. Why would he misrepresent his gun so much. He must have thought I was blind. I had this happen to me about a year ago on a hand gun. I just don't understand why someone would do this, it could only work out bad for them.....

A good reason why I would request (basically demand, nicely) photos before I even went to look at the item.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    This is why you should use INGO's classified exclusively. Take a moderator with you on your next transaction.:D

Get pics even if its a common type, the line it looks like all the other ones" just don't work for me.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Geez, when I sold my Kahr I must have taken 40 photos. I think the guy must have just bought it so I'd stop taking pictures and saying "Wait, that last one was too bright/dark/blurry/far away... here's a better one..."

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wont do anything without pics first unless I aready know who im buying from.

He fed me the line that he did not have a camera, dumb on my part, Heck my 74 yr old grandma has a digital camera......

Gosh every cell phone now has a camera that can upload pictures...theres really no excuse for not being able to take pictures

A good reason why I would request (basically demand, nicely) photos before I even went to look at the item.

Get pics even if its a common type, the line it looks like all the other ones" just don't work for me.

"I can't figure out how to post pics".

"Did you read the FAQ?"

"Yes, but it didn't answer my question." (Then you didn't actually read the FAQ, IMHO.)

Probably a third of the Classified Ads on INGO that have been deleted were deleted for this exact conversation. It's not that they can't figure out how to post pics. For crying out loud, there's a step-by-step tutorial in the FAQ. It's that they're either lazy and want it spoon-fed to them, or they're lying about the quality of the item (generally the former and not the latter, fortunately).

Ironically enough, people seem to go out of their way to post pictures of ammo they have for sale. The one thing we don't really need pictures of.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN

One suggestion I have if you do see pics in an ad, ask them to email you more of close ups or different angles. Ive done it and folks have asked me to do it. Sorry for your bad experience.

gunfun101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    I had a similar experience with a guy on HT. He had the exact pistol i was lookin for posted. After talkin on the phone with him and findin out he is a police officer i think i can trust him on the condition of the gun and what comes with it. When we meet FTF and i see the gun it looks like its been kicked down a gravel road instead of the "like new" he had said. Also said he forgot the extra clip that went with it and still wanted the same price for it! Needless to say that was one i didn't add to my collection.:dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom