• UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Snappy: getting hit by a switch.
    Vs. my .45: getting hit by a branch

Probably not the best analogy, but the .40 seems to have a sharper recoil impulse rather than the longer "shove" of the .45.

This^^^^^^
    The recovery time for a follow up shot is slightly longer than with the .45ACP in a similar, or larger frame gun.
    With practice it becomes a moot point.
    If someone is shooting at you the difference will go totally unnoticed. Guaranteed!
    Mike

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I won't have a .40 simply because it is not a NATO cartridge. I prefer to have all NATO chambered weapons, .223, .308, 9mm. I also believe it tries to fill a gap where they is none at least for me.
    If I was for some reason thought I needed more capacity and better ballistics there are other choices that are not compromises at least in my book. .356 sig same capacity as .40, and 10mm same capacity as .40 both with even more power if that is what someone is looking for.
    But of course not everyone thinks as I do, as there sure are a lot of .40s out there. I just don't understand why.
    Enjoy what ever you get.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife and I both feel that the .40 is "snappy" compared to 9mm. I do have to admit that I can shoot the 9mm fasted, i.e. get back on target quicker. From a practical standpoint I do not think this is an issue. The .40 hits much harder in my opinion. For instance I have shot bowling pins and pepper poppers with the .40 and it flat puts them down. Often times the poppers required a controlled double with the 9mm. Bowling pins with a 9mm, forget it! .45 is the cats *** but .40 does just fine. So, the .40 fills a role for me. More "knock down" then the 9mm and less cost for ammunition and more capacity then .45. If I had to stick with one pistol cartridge I would strongly consider the .40.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    My wife and I both feel that the .40 is "snappy" compared to 9mm. I do have to admit that I can shoot the 9mm fasted, i.e. get back on target quicker. From a practical standpoint I do not think this is an issue. The .40 hits much harder in my opinion. For instance I have shot bowling pins and pepper poppers with the .40 and it flat puts them down. Often times the poppers required a controlled double with the 9mm. Bowling pins with a 9mm, forget it! .45 is the cats *** but .40 does just fine. So, the .40 fills a role for me. More "knock down" then the 9mm and less cost for ammunition and more capacity then .45. If I had to stick with one pistol cartridge I would strongly consider the .40.

EXACTLY, I KEEP READING THESE GUYS CRYING ABOUT IT BEING SNAPPY. I CARRY A S&W 40 AND I LOVE IT. I DONT REALLY HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS WITH IT AND NO COMPLAINTS FROM SHOOTING IT. I LIKE IT BETTER THAN MY B/F'S .45. BUT THATS JUST MY B/F'S AND MY OPINION.....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    EXACTLY, I KEEP READING THESE GUYS CRYING ABOUT IT BEING SNAPPY. I CARRY A S&W 40 AND I LOVE IT. I DONT REALLY HAVE ANY COMPLAINTS WITH IT AND NO COMPLAINTS FROM SHOOTING IT. I LIKE IT BETTER THAN MY B/F'S .45. BUT THATS JUST MY B/F'S AND MY OPINION.....

Thank you. Unfortunately I have to fill in one gap. My wife does not like the "snappiness" of the .40 so I will probably stay with a 9mm for her. She would be fine with the .40 with some practice. However, if she is more comfortable with idea ;) of 9mm and as a result wants to practice then so be it. Both are good cartridges and proven manstoppers with the right ammunition. For me I love the .40 in a service size pistol. The subcompacts can be a bit of a handful.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I think factory 40 S&W is typically more "snappy" than 45ACP, but 40 does have its advantages. The cartridge is extremely flexible for reloaders, and less expensive to reload than 45. The 40 S&W case will accommodate bullet weights from 135-grain all the way to 220-grain. If you reload, it can cost no more than reloading for 9mm.

40 S&W is, IMHO, the ultimate competition cartridge. You can download it to shoot in steel events or USPSA production division, or you can load it to "major" (which is still typically lighter than factory offerings) for USPSA limited or open divisions. No other cartridge offers this kind of flexibility.

As for the snappyness, my son shoots a 40 in the MCFG bowling pin match and does quite well. He just turned 13 and weighs 110 lbs. It's really not so bad (again, my opinion).

Slade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Evansvile
    I had never used the term "snappy" until today! That does describe what I have always thought about the 40 cal. I have the Hk USP in 9, 40 and 45. For years I have noticed that the 40 actually makes my wrist sore after long trips to the range. There is more muzzle climb from the 40. 45 is a gentle push compared to the 40.
    Because of this I do not own a sub compact 40 but instead went with the 9mm. :twocents:

Top Bottom