• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Did you try REALLY hammering on the ejector rod?

Like in a "ohmygoshIhavetoeject&reloadrightnoworIdie" type force on the gun?

Might be pleasantly surprised?

Just a suggestion for the next time you shoot it.

-J-

Yep. The ejection rod would come right on down, but it would PASS the casing without grabbing it. I think that this was an issue of rimmed/rimless. It didn't get a good enough grip on that particular casing, (which was tight because of chamber being slightly out of spec, I assume, since it ONLY happened on that one chamber, EVERY time,) and so couldn't strip it out.

Hopefully some more shooting will wear it in a bit more.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are plenty of other cartridges out there that have a rim and work well in a revolver to not have to worry about the moonclips. What a hassle.

Hassle... Possibly. Depends on the revolver. I'd like one for simplicity sake - that is - it'd go well with my 2 9mm pistols. Ammo commonality is a big deal with me.

Yep. The ejection rod would come right on down, but it would PASS the casing without grabbing it. I think that this was an issue of rimmed/rimless. It didn't get a good enough grip on that particular casing, (which was tight because of chamber being slightly out of spec, I assume, since it ONLY happened on that one chamber, EVERY time,) and so couldn't strip it out.

Hopefully some more shooting will wear it in a bit more.

Right on. Just checking, ya know? I know that when I'm at the range with my .38sp. J-frame, I rarely ever hammer the ejector rod to get full extraction. Just thought I'd offer that up as a potential explanation. Didn't mean to imply you're a wimp. :D:D (I mean, you may still be a wimp...we've never met. hehe)

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    Hassle... Possibly. Depends on the revolver. I'd like one for simplicity sake - that is - it'd go well with my 2 9mm pistols. Ammo commonality is a big deal with me.

I know what you mean. I looked into it too. After I read about all the moonclips bending and becoming misshapen after only one use, I moved on.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know what you mean. I looked into it too. After I read about all the moonclips bending and becoming misshapen after only one use, I moved on.

Charter Arms' newest iteration, also in .40S&W and .45ACP works without moon clips!!

Too bad it's a Charter product... :n00b:

I already hate shooting my S&W642 with +p ammo. Even target-grade 9mm is going to be more stout than that.

If I ever acquire one - better believe it'll be a steel gun and not an aluminum alloy!

Edit: Seems that Charter Arms only has it in .40... http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Pitbull_74020.asp

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    im justr curious, but how com no one makes a revolver calibered in 9mm? or do they???

Ummm, lots of people make a revolver in 9mm, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Korth, Astra, Manurhin, Taurus, Alfa Proj (Czech Republic), inter alia. Did someone tell you that revolvers were not chambered in 9mm???:dunno:

One of the most interesting from a gun nerd perspective was the Medusa revolver:

Airborne Combat Engineer: Medusa multi-caliber revolver

Last edited:

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I had a no-dash J-frame S&W 940 years ago, and it was a nifty little gun. Got it used and ugly from the estate of a gun dealer - I had the thing bead-blasted and chamfered the chambers and worked the stocks so that they suited my hand better. It did have issues with extracting aluminum-cased Blazer ammo (of which I put more than 2k rounds through the thing - at $4.88/box from Natchez - those were the days!), but I got to be so good at tossing the little moon-clipped rounds into the cylinder that I was as fast loading it as I have ever been with any semiauto. Mine worked just fine with +P and +P+ ammo - no extraction problems with anything but the aluminum Blazers.

Like so many guns, I traded it off when I found something that "worked better for me." The 940 is one of the ones that I regret having let go, though - ah well . . .

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I currently own the 9mm Pitbull by Charter Arms. Here is a link for specs if you are looking for that...

79920 9 mm Pitbull Rimless Revolver

It is more accurate than I am, and seems solidly built. I have no complaints. It has never failed to fire or eject a round to date. But I don't have a high round count through it yet. Maybe 250 rounds.

The trigger is typical revolver...long heavy double action...very light very crisp single action. I don't have a trigger pound meter, but I would say double is probably 10lbs or so with single around 2lbs or so. But that is a very rough guess. Needless to say...I LOVE the single action.

The only complaint that I heard about the Pitbull series was the 1st offering in .40 S&W. It seems that even when the ejector rod was fully pushed back, it was not long enough to fully eject those long .40 cases. However, in my 9mm version, the ejector has more than enough travel to eject the cases fully. It seems that their spring loaded plunger design works.

I will say this, the design of this revolver does not and will not lend itself to speed loading. If you want that, this is not the revolver for you. It is easier to load the rounds at a slight angle with the ejector pushed back about 1/4 and inch. Once all 6 chambers are loaded, then you let the ejector rod spring forward and the rounds move in each chamber easily.

This revolver is all stainless and seems nice. Not as nice as a Smith & Wesson, but functional. But I don't care if my guns win beauty pageants. I want them to work. And work it does.

That is my :twocents: for what it is worth.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I love a moon clip 625 revolver for action pistol type shooting. Of course it takes a lot of prep work preloading the clips. It is way easier with the .$40 installer/stripper from "mooncliptool.com". When I am slow fire target shooting or testing loads, it is an extra step.

For a .45 moonclip revolver, there are special brass cases made called .45 Auto Rim. They allow you to shoot a moon clip style revolver without moonclips if you want to go that route. Has anyone ever seen any 9mm or .40 S&W "auto rim" ?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I love a moon clip 625 revolver for action pistol type shooting. Of course it takes a lot of prep work preloading the clips. It is way easier with the .$40 installer/stripper from "mooncliptool.com". When I am slow fire target shooting or testing loads, it is an extra step.

For a .45 moonclip revolver, there are special brass cases made called .45 Auto Rim. They allow you to shoot a moon clip style revolver without moonclips if you want to go that route. Has anyone ever seen any 9mm or .40 S&W "auto rim" ?

625's rock! I beleive it was Federal but there was an 9mm auto rim round made/offered back in the 1980's for use in the couple of 9mm revolver offerings. I don't know if the S&W 547 could use moonclips but it had some kind of ejector in the chamber of each cylnder that ejected them somehow, The Ruger Speed Six was also in 9mm for a few years. The Auto Rim cartridges never really gaind in popularity though since full moon clips were around. There were not a lot of speedloader options for the 45 or 9mm auto rim rounds either. I believe Black Hills still makes the 45 Auto Rim rounds.

Also the auto rim rounds will not work in Ruger Blackhawk convertables since the Blackhawk is designed to seat on the headspace of the 9mm or 45 acp roun so if thats the revolver you have don't buy an auto rim brass for it.

I have e mailed Ruger 3 or 4 times. I would like to see a convertable GP 100 with 2 cylnders 1 in 357 and 1 in 9mm (9X23 then you can run 9X23, 9X21, 9X19 and 38 super in it) taking full moon clips. I know you can have the clynder cut for moon clips and rechambered to 9X23 by penicle but would be nice to have a factory offering. JMHO

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

As a matter of fact, there IS a "9mm auto rimmed" cartridge out there.

9x19R / 9x19 Federal.

Have no idea how hard it is to find. Just happened to run across it in the Wikipedia list of handgun cartridges. List of handgun cartridges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom