• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    im justr curious, but how com no one makes a revolver calibered in 9mm? or do they??? If not why not??? just sitting here thinking out loud. Anybody know?

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    The Taurus 9mm is model 905, Charter Arms makes one as well as Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 357/9mm and Smith and Wesson used to make the heavy barrel model 547.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Love my blackhawk convertible. 357 38 one cylinder and one 9mm

I've been very interested in finding one of these. Do you experience that one cartridge is more accurate than the other (357/38 vs 9mm)?

What I mean is, when I read reviews about 22lr/22 magnum convertibles, I read that they are mostly more accurate with the 22 magnums.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I've been very interested in finding one of these. Do you experience that one cartridge is more accurate than the other (357/38 vs 9mm)?

What I mean is, when I read reviews about 22lr/22 magnum convertibles, I read that they are mostly more accurate with the 22 magnums.

I find a light load SWC 38 is the most accurate out of my blackhawk. Nice having the extra cylinder for the 9mm so no need for pesky moon clips!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The SP101 came in 9mm too.

Before you get too excited, google the word "moon clips." 9mm and 45 ACP revolvers are awesome but it's not as simple as slipping in a few rounds and firing away.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You're looking to fire a rimless cartridge in a gun designed for rimmed cartridges. Google yourself a pic of a 9x19/9 luger/9 parabellum, and a .38spl or .357 magnum. What's the first difference you notice? Hopefully it's the way the rim sticks out at the bottom on the latter, vs the way it doesn't on the former. A revolver headspaces on that rim, and uses it to eject the spent cartridges. It would be possible to headspace like an automatic, but then you have to have some way to eject them, so you get moon clips and half moon clips. It's an adaptation at best, and interferes with the most efficient operation. You want a revolver? Get one in a revolver caliber. You want a 9mm? Get an automatic. Vegetarian bacon will inevitably be a disappointment.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The Smith & Wesson 547 was made in 9mm and no clips were used:

thumbnail.aspx

It has pins in the extractor

vigmso.jpg

These aren't pics of mine, it's locked away, still NIB waiting until TEOTWAKI.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My aunt JUST bought a Taurus revolver in .380; yes, .380, NOT 38 Special.

I fired it today. It was DAO, and will be nice for what she wants it for, (loaded in the car for all eternity,) but I wouldn't do a lot of range-work with it. Besides the DAO, it had trouble ejecting casings. One chamber in particular seemed to have the casings stick every time. Extractor would just come right out over top of it and you'd have to pop it out from the back or use your fingernails around the rim.

The positives? Very little recoil, and it was pretty accurate, (for a 2 inch snubby, of course.)

Honestly, if I wanted a revolver in automatic calibers, I used to know the one that I would want.

Now I can't find it, though...it was a company that imported like one or two of their guns over into the US, and the rest never made it. They made this one revolver that had cylinders for 9mm, .380, Mak, and .38 I believe. Can't remember what company it was though...

hbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Greenwood
    At one time I owned a 9mm Ruger SP101 w/2" barrel. It used moon clips that would get bent up pretty badly after just a few loadings. Traded it to PSS about 15 yrs ago and wish I hadn't. There was one on gunbroker a few months ago for about twice what I paid for it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My aunt JUST bought a Taurus revolver in .380; yes, .380, NOT 38 Special.

I fired it today. It was DAO, and will be nice for what she wants it for, (loaded in the car for all eternity,) but I wouldn't do a lot of range-work with it. Besides the DAO, it had trouble ejecting casings. One chamber in particular seemed to have the casings stick every time. Extractor would just come right out over top of it and you'd have to pop it out from the back or use your fingernails around the rim.

The positives? Very little recoil, and it was pretty accurate, (for a 2 inch snubby, of course.)

Honestly, if I wanted a revolver in automatic calibers, I used to know the one that I would want.

Now I can't find it, though...it was a company that imported like one or two of their guns over into the US, and the rest never made it. They made this one revolver that had cylinders for 9mm, .380, Mak, and .38 I believe. Can't remember what company it was though...

Did you try REALLY hammering on the ejector rod?

Like in a "ohmygoshIhavetoeject&reloadrightnoworIdie" type force on the gun?

Might be pleasantly surprised?

Just a suggestion for the next time you shoot it.

-J-

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    There are plenty of other cartridges out there that have a rim and work well in a revolver to not have to worry about the moonclips. What a hassle.

Top Bottom