Why is it that buses don't have seat belts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    So why is that, If the police could stop a private vehicle for driver/passenger not wearing seatbelts and it is mandated by law to wear them, why then are seat belts not in buses? SO I call my sons and ask them that when they were in H.S. if their school bus had seat belts, they said it did not? Is this law about wearing seat belts selective. And yes, I did get nailed before for not wearing my seat belt.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Because seat belt laws have very little to do with safety?

I believe "chauffeured" vehicles (buses, limos, etc...) are just exempt from the current seat belt laws.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    If seat belts are present they are required by law to wear them. School buses just aren't required to have seat belts. I've got a few on mine for unruly children. They are used often.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Because seat belt laws have very little to do with safety?

I believe "chauffeured" vehicles (buses, limos, etc...) are just exempt from the current seat belt laws.
    Wow man, how sad is that that our childrens lives, or anyone who takes one of those modes of transportation lives are at risk because of a clause like that. So possibility of 40 + dead from a bus accident is not worth the few thousands to equip a bus for safety.

BigGuyinMuncie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Muncie
    You have a good point. It is ok to not have a seat belt when it is a bus full of underage kids running wildly from seat to seat with a driver (most of the time) who could care less, but when I am in my own personal vehicle, driving MYSELF somewhere then the government has the right to tell me that I need to buckle up "for my own safety".

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow man, how sad is that that our childrens lives, or anyone who takes one of those modes of transportation lives are at risk because of a clause like that. So possibility of 40 + dead from a bus accident is not worth the few thousands to equip a bus for safety.
    Yep. Like I said, it isn't about safety. It's about $$$$.

Schools could elect to put seat belts in the buses. Parents could elect to drive their own kids to school (with the seat belt on). Your city's bus line could install seat belts as well. Consumers don't demand them, and aren't willing to pay for them, so it doesn't happen.

BTW: please don't ask for yet another law for more seat belts! I can't really afford the extra taxes to pay for them right now :(

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    The law had nothing to do with public safety and everything to do with the insurance industry thinking they would save money on less claims by requiring them. They presented all kinds of data showing the increase in fatalities and severe injury to people not wearing seat belts. What no one bothered to show was the percentage of vehicles on the road rose with the percentage of fatalities and severe injuries.

Anyone can spin statistics to favor their viewpoint will little effort.

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    You have a good point. It is ok to not have a seat belt when it is a bus full of underage kids running wildly from seat to seat with a driver (most of the time) who could care less, but when I am in my own personal vehicle, driving MYSELF somewhere then the government has the right to tell me that I need to buckle up "for my own safety".

I don't know which school corp your talking about. The driver had a personel and financial responsibility for each child on the bus. If I let a kid stand and then we are stuck by another vehicle and he/she gets hurt, I'm liable. I won't pay 100% but even 10% of 200k or more is scary. That being school buses are the safest vehicles on the road imo. They are built like tanks, heavily regulated and inspected by isp.

Michigan in my experience is the worst when it comes to seat belt tickets. For cdl holders its 100$.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The law had nothing to do with public safety and everything to do with the insurance industry thinking they would save money on less claims by requiring them. They presented all kinds of data showing the increase in fatalities and severe injury to people not wearing seat belts. What no one bothered to show was the percentage of vehicles on the road rose with the percentage of fatalities and severe injuries.

Anyone can spin statistics to favor their viewpoint will little effort.

This is true.

Very much in line with the BS statistic I heard earlier this morning about the decrease in traffic fatalities with the increasing gas prices. :rolleyes:

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    Two dozen grade school kids in a panic trying to get out of their seat belts after a accident. VS. Two dozen grade school kids being thrown about the large cabin area of a bus in a accident.

It's kind of a lose lose situation.

I do not we should be required by law to where them, but I do.
    I really think it is wrong that they can pull you over for that reason alone.

But to awnser the OP's question. I have no idea.
    My father is a bus driver I will have to get his input on this subject.

-Gary

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    This is an interesting conversation.
    I'm glad they do not.
    Buses are designed (for fires atleast) to be exited in under 2 minutes before the smoke/flames get you.
    The biggest bus on our lot holds a maximum of 84 students (14 rows of seats 3 to a seat) there's no way if a kid needed help getting his seat belt undone a driver could be back to the back while the kids are trying to get off the bus.

On a side note, our township has mandatory drills we have to take part in 2 times a year. We have 2 minutes to get out. If one bus at the school getting drilled fails, everyone has to redo the test.

Also, some children have figured out that if the driver is watching the road, they can take their seat belt off, and use the buckle to fling at the kid sitting next to them.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Fact=:dunno:
    Opinions=Many. Including mostly rural slower speeds and no high speed interstate. Less damage during an accident. Quicker unload during a fire. Less "weaponry" on board. Less cost. And my favorite, treated like the airline, won't spend the money until enough collateral damage is done to justify the expense. I love it when we are reactive vs. proactive.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    When we asked this question to a worker at the bus garage in our school district we were told they couldnt fit 1/3 of the kids on each bus if seatbelts were required....... :dunno:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Just a sarcastic though but they might have to develop a better seat.

i could go for that, as long as the driver gets a better seat. (maybe one with the heated/cooled/vented seats, more padding and such)

i can tell you many many things about buses.
    there are not enough front seats.
    bus accidents happen way more frequently then most expect.
    our township had 3 in the past 24 hours. all 3 the buses were rear ended, students on board, as far as i know not one injury (on or off bus)

the seats are "designed" to hold 3 students. now i am not sure what year the seats had their latest and greatest updated design, but about the only 2 grades that will fit 3 to a seat is k and first. and thats pushing it. the rest are lucky to get 2 into a seat if that.

im not sure what the real good answer is, but i do believe that seat belts on a big bus are a bad idea...

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm in no way in favor of making seat belts on school buses mandatory. However, if they were, the driver would never be able to leave the lot without laws being broken. Does anyone here honestly believe they can control a bus load of public high school students well enough to keep their butts in the seat with a belt on? (without a firearm :D)

:twocents:

Top Bottom