• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    No one gun can do it all. But if, like me, you are stuck with only one pistol to try to do it all, which do you choose? Here's my case for the G20.

One of the main arguments for the G20 is the argument for the 10mm Auto-- you can't really separate the two. There are lots of good options out there for the more popular calibers. But if you want a striker-fired 10mm? Only one comes to mind. All the other 10mm I'm aware of are 1911-based.

The basic case for the 10mm is versatility. Bullet weights from 135gr to 220gr in power ranges from .40SW to nearly .41Mag (and some .44mags in shorter barrels). That's the versatility just within the 10mm Auto caliber.

However, the G20 can very easily be converted to shoot .40SW and .357Sig which derive from the 10mm Auto case. Only a barrel swap is needed. Unlike many other conversions, these are actually pretty reliable-- no extractor fishiness and radical changes to proper recoil spring pressure, etc. This adds a lot of versatility and aids the ammo availability aspect.

It's pretty hard to find any overlap between a potential hunting handgun and a carry pistol, but the G20 arguably threads that needle. It's certainly on the big and clunky end of carryable, and on the small and frail end of a hunting handgun, but it does seem to fit narrowly within both categories.

It's not bigger than a standard 1911, and plenty of people carry 5" 1911s. It's actually a good bit lighter and more compact than a full size 1911. Yet it holds a lot more rounds, and each round can be considerably more powerful.

Converted to .40SW shooting a "short barrel" or low recoil load gives you something as mild as most 9mms. Running full house 10mm gives you something approaching or even exceeding the very hottest .357 Mag loads.

I don't expect the 10mm to suddenly become THE gotta-have-it caliber any time soon. But it DOES seem to be experiencing a resurgence of sorts recently. The availability of decent 10mm ammo has never been better. I think the 10mm will probably be around awhile, occupying the somewhat unique niche it does.

It's possible that the availability of better 10mm ammo will increase the sales of 10mm pistols, and that cycle may feed off itself to help increase 10mm popularity. That seems to have been occurring recently, but I don't know how much more popular a 10mm can realistically get.

A G20 already represents about as much firepower as one can carry in a handgun. 15 rounds that are over 700lb-ft each? I can't think of anything that comes close. 10,350lb-ft per magazine is a considerable amount of power.

It seems to me then that the G20 is sort of a class of one. A Striker-fired gun that's reasonably reliable, very versatile, just small enough to carry, just big enough to hunt with, reasonably priced, and very powerful.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I'm with you, the 10mm gets a bad rap and I think a lot of that is due to the so-call FBI issue. But they had very different criteria than most of us. They were looking for a solution that worked across a large cross section of agents and the 10 mm just wasn't one-size-fits-all enough for them.

It seems the only real choice (other than the 1911 variants) right now is the Glock 20 but other then being quite large is an excellent 10 mm handgun.

I keep hoping to see some other gun makers get back on the 10 mm cartridge again.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Smith & Wesson used to offer a 10mm in its third gen line of semi autos but the 1006 was a big, heavy gun with an unsatisfactory trigger. I have read recently that CZ has been doing tests with the CZ 97 platform in 10mm but, again, this is a large and heavy gun. For me, I would like to have a bigger, heavier gun if shooting the 10mm round loaded up to its potential. I have hopes CZ will ultimately decide to produce some 10mms on the 97 frame. With CZ reliability and the very proven 97 platform, I think it would be a very desireable handgun. I could certainly see using this in a shoulder holster during the cold weather season.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Witness offers a 10mm version of their CZ clone. It's a large frame gun that's reminiscent of the CZ 97. It's actually a pretty nice gun. Not my favorite of my CZs and clones, but a good gun none the less. You just need to trim the ejector to get it to stop throwing your brass into the next county.

I do have to agree with the OP though, that the G20 is a good all around weapon. I have a Gen 3 20sf and am quite happy with it. It's my nightstand gun.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    Shooting a mag of full power 10mm out of a G20, you can't help but get a smile on your face. The only reason why I have never purchased one is the expense of ammo, despite my love for it. Great gun

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    And you can still find 10mm ammo around - an additional benefit of a firearm in a not-so-mainstream caliber sometimes.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have always thought a 10mm carbine would be awesome.

I'm strongly considering a Mech Tech upper for my G20:

Check out the velocity/energy of the carbine! It rivals 55gr .223 loads with a .40 cal bullet in some loads (135gr Underwood/Nosler)

[ame]http://youtu.be/GUyQ-E9aEnI[/ame]

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Brass is still in short supply though.

It will be awhile before Starline catches up. I'd imagine folks like Underwood and such have massive backorders with them.

Norma brass is out there, but not easy to find. Top brass and Starline are unobtainium for the foreseeable future, as far as I can tell.

Best bet I can tell is just buying a bunch of Hornady factory ammo and reloading those cases. Hornady has better 10mm offerings than most large ammo companies. The only other "big company' 10mm I found around are old Hydra-shok loads from like 20 years ago. Winchester offers only 175gr Silvertip, which is also an OLD load.

None of the major companies offer their latest bullets in a 10mm load. No HST. No Ranger T. No PDX-1. No Gold Dot or Golden Sabre. There are guys like Underwood overspeeding 180gr Gold Dots, but the bullet is designed for .40SW speeds and is really not taking advantage of the extra 300fps the hot 10mm offers. Might even be less effective than in .40SW.

It seems to me only the XTPs are closer to optimal for the faster 10mm speeds.

I really there were modern 200gr JHPs available as component bullets in .40/10mm. XTP is almost it. Noslers are OK, but hardly cutting edge.

Perhaps Nosler will offer this new 200gr .40 "defense" load as a component bullet? That would be great.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have a G20 SF and the only thing preventing me from carrying is the lack of available ammo to practice enough to carry it. It is BLAST to shoot. People at the range always walk down when I'm shooting it to see what all the noise is all about :D.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    A G20 already represents about as much firepower as one can carry in a handgun. 15 rounds that are over 700lb-ft each? I can't think of anything that comes close. 10,350lb-ft per magazine is a considerable amount of power.

I think you need to loose your 10mm mouse gun and step-up to something that has real stopping power.

I carry a S&W 500 magnum. Five rounds that are over 3000lb-ft each. 15155lb-ft per cylinder. :p

Smith__Wesson_Model_500.jpg

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I've really had the itch for a g29 in 10mm lately. I agree with the OP in that the g20 is IMO the best semi-auto platform for power and capacity. I've never owned one, but have shot one. I would like to own a g20 but have always been drawn to smaller guns.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think you need to loose your 10mm mouse gun and step-up to something that has real stopping power.

I carry a S&W 500 magnum. Five rounds that are over 3000lb-ft each. 15155lb-ft per cylinder. :p

Yes, this is more power per load.

And the best part is there's no muzzle flip, either.

Top Bottom