• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ten Yard Fight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    The only reason to avoid the dealers is to save money. It's a valid reason, but dealers bring a lot of other things to the table.

Safety
    Security
    Knowledge
    ...and you get to see it before you make any sort of commitment to it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The only reason to avoid the dealers is to save money. It's a valid reason, but dealers bring a lot of other things to the table.

Safety
    Security
    Knowledge
    ...and you get to see it before you make any sort of commitment to it.

The knowledge bit is a random factor. If you know enough to know when a dealer is full of BS then you don't need his knowledge. Some dealers are great. Others are so full of crap the roof of their stores is brown.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Any firearm purchased through an FFL is entered into their bound book. If the BATF wanted to, they could trace that firearm to the original buyer. If I then buy that same gun from the that individual FTF there is no record of that transaction, and no easy way for Big Brother to know what I own.
    BATF cannot decide they "want to" look up any particular gun for giggles. A law enforcement agency has to request a trace from the BATF to search for the original purchaser. The only way this can happen is for the gun to be in possession of that law enforcement agency, or have the serial number of the gun (used in crime, stolen, etc.). If you don't use the gun in a crime or have it stolen then you'll never have to worry about a trace.

BATF agents CANNOT remove any Form 4473 from an FFL dealer without a warrant for that particular form, and they have exactly one year to bring it back. They also have to replace it with a "receipt" so there is a paper trail of the officer that is responsible for it.

BATF agents are permitted to inspect the FFLs bound books for errors, but they CANNOT write down, or copy any information from those books.

Form 4473s can be destroyed by the FFL after 20 years. Bound books are required to be kept "for the life of the business".

All in all, your privacy is very protected if you are a responsible gun owner.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have done two private sales. I made sure that I got the individuals name, address, and LTCH number. I also made them sign a receipt of sale. That way my *** is covered. It's been a while back, but my Dad ran into a situation. My Dad had traded a gun at a local shop. He was the original owner of the gun. Well he got a call from the Bloomington police department. They found the gun, that Dad had traded in a girls dorm room. They ran the serial number, and his name came up. He told them that he had traded, the shop name, and date of trade. There is defiantly nothing wrong with privates sales, just make sure you dot your I's and cross your T's.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    A few years ago, the national tracing center bombarded dealers with traces requested from law enforcement agencies. Individuals that purchased a new firearm and took it straight home and put it in their safe and never removed it was traced. Turns out they were tracing guns for a group only conducting SURVEYS. Who was this for? Was this legal? Waste of taxpayers money? NICS background checks are deleted within 30 days. Was this copied into another database before deletion? You will never know! Trust everyone!

Top Bottom