• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    I do not know if this has been discussed before so I am bringing it up now.

I have XXX amount of guns and only one of them is in my name. It is the one that I bought when I first moved here and got my LTCH.

The rest I have bought from people on here.

So am I okay having these guns in my posession?
    Is it okay if one is my daily carry weapon?
    Is there anything at all that I need to worry about?

Thanks in advance for the response

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    guns are not registered in Indiana. As long as it doesn't turn up stolen, you're good.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You dont have any guns registered in your name.

When the FFL calls in your info, it has nothing to do with the gun.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    It doesn't matter. If "they" come for your guns, do you think they're only gonna take the ones you have paper on?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Where did you move from, if I might ask jmildoc?
    I know Michigan's handgun laws differ wildly than ours here.
    I'm only curious if you're from there or another place.

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    When you purchased your other guns did you use a bill of sale? I'm wondering because when doing face to face couldn't that gun have gone through several people and you not knowing who they are?

jmildoc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    South of Indy (in the woods)
    If I have no guns in my name then why should anyone do a bill of sale?
    I moved here from Maryland, before that Texas.

Never done a bill of sale.. wouldnt make someone else do it so I dont do it either....

So this moves me on to the next question... Why NOT buy from gun Dealers? Why are people avoiding this more and more?

I know that I personally like to avoid the taxes that come with it and in some instances the higher price,.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Why NOT buy from gun Dealers? Why are people avoiding this more and more?

I have a different take on the "less likely to be stolen" perspective.
    I think it has more to do with the economy. Face it, with a dealer purchase comes FFL $$ and tax, too.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    If I have no guns in my name then why should anyone do a bill of sale?
    I moved here from Maryland, before that Texas.

Never done a bill of sale.. wouldnt make someone else do it so I dont do it either....

So this moves me on to the next question... Why NOT buy from gun Dealers? Why are people avoiding this more and more?

I know that I personally like to avoid the taxes that come with it and in some instances the higher price,.
    Any firearm purchased through an FFL is entered into their bound book. If the BATF wanted to, they could trace that firearm to the original buyer. If I then buy that same gun from the that individual FTF there is no record of that transaction, and no easy way for Big Brother to know what I own.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I have a different take on the "less likely to be stolen" perspective.
    I think it has more to do with the economy. Face it, with a dealer purchase comes FFL $$ and tax, too.

And people make impulse buys and decide to sell and recoup what they can. I have many from dealers and many pre-owned from FTF. I have never paid even close to dealers price on a used gun thus allowing more purchases with my limited funds.

MWCMT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    South
    Does anyone ever actually contact a LEO(friend) and "Run the numbers" on a firearm purchased FTF? I have not. just wondering.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

It's cheaper to buy from an individual and the seller makes more from the gun. Win-win. I don't avoid gun dealers, but they often don't have what I want. Why drive all over the state when there's some guy right near by who has what I want? And while there are a few really good gun dealers out there, there's a lot of jerks running gun shops, so even though there may be ten stores within 2 hours of me, there's only maybe 3 that I will patronize both for price and the fact they've always treated me well.

I have maybe 20 buy or sell gun transactions a year as I try out new things or add to my collection. I can do this in spite of the fact that the actual money I spend on guns (not shooting, I spend a lot on shooting!) each year is relatively low, less than a grand generally. This is because I can buy a used gun from a guy and generally sell it for what I bought it for, so my gun purchase money goes towards the ones I end up keeping, not making the dealer money on each transaction.
    The fact of no 4473 or NICS is a bonus, not a primary reason for me.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    40-50 years ago, when you bought a handgun it was suggested, not enforced that you register it with your Sheriff or Chief. Also the LTCH at that time stated that the owner was allowed to carry "any handgun duly registered with the State of Indiana". That phrase was later removed. Don't recall when.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    All of this is true. However; Check this out. In the beloved City of Gary ( The armpit of Indiana ) You are driving through with your family in the car and you are stopped for any reason, You present your LTCH for the 38 you have. They have the right to take it and hold it. They shoot it and check the ballistics to see if it was used in a crime. After the run around of a month or three you can pick it up AFTER you prove it is yours. A receipt written on a cocktail napkin will not do. They want a document like the one from the FFL dealer. Your 38 turns into a UNCLAIMED handgun. What happens to it from there, Who knows. I know many individuals that lost nice firearms. I have heard East Chicago and Hammond does the same. If you use the firearm in your home or they have a call to your home, They take ALL your firearms if seen. My carry guns have been registered at a FFL and I carry a copy of them with my LTCH. This is how they keep their City so "safe".

Top Bottom