Why GUN education and safety needs to be a priority!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fpdcop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Madison County
    Police: Brother believed to have accidentally shot 17-year-old

— FRANKTON, Ind. — The shooting death of a Frankton High School teenager Saturday night was likely an accident, according to police.
    Madison County Sheriff Ron Richardson said 17-year-old Andrew “A.J.” Kistler was shot and killed just before 9 p.m. at his home in the 3200 block of West County Road 1000 North.
    Kistler was a junior at Frankton Junior Senior High School and kicker on the high school football team.
    Police are questioning 20-year-old Richard “Rick” Kistler Jr., A.J.’s brother, in connection with the shooting.
    Richardson said the shooting remains under investigation but officers are “leaning toward” deeming the shooting an accident since Rick Kistler Jr.’s statements about the shooting indicate an accident and a witness has corroborated his story.
    When emergency responders arrived at the scene, Rick Kistler was threatening to take his own life with a shotgun in the wake of the fatal shooting of his brother, Richardson said.
    An officer with the Department of Natural Resources and a Frankton Police Department reserve officer were able to keep Rick Kistler from injuring himself.
    Richardson said the Frankton reserve officer knew the Kistler family and should be credited with disarming Rick Kistler and preventing further injury.
    Due to the brother’s threat to take his own life, Richardson said police are focusing on keeping him safe and have not arrested him.
    Richardson said detectives will meet Monday to determine the next course of action.
    Madison County Coroner Ned Dunnichay said A.J. Kistler suffered a single gunshot wound and an autopsy will be conducted Monday to confirm the cause of death.
    Frankton Fire Chief Rob Amick works security for Frankton schools and said he was close with A.J., calling the teen a popular kid with a great attitude.
    Amick was one of many emergency personnel who responded to the scene of the shooting. “It was strange, me being there, in all the different situations that I play being in the school and then having to respond to the scene and seeing one of my students.”
    Amick said news of the teenager’s death spread quickly throughout town, culminating in an impromptu 12:30 a.m. Sunday candlelight vigil in the parking lot of the Frankton Junior Senior High School.
    Frankton Senior Tiffany Stevenson did not attend the vigil but said she got the news soon after the shooting occurred Saturday. “It was really shocking and sad.”
    Frankton Junior Senior High School Principal Jerry Hoss attended the vigil and said the memorial was “touching.”
    “That’s the important part of a being small school, kids really took it upon themselves to get together,” Hoss said.
    A.J. Kistler’s ex-girlfriend, Candace McDonald, 18, was moved by the number of people who showed up just past midnight for the vigil.
    “There was so many people there and I know all of them cared so much about him and he cared about them too.”
    An estimated 200 students and their parents arrived at the high school parking lot to comfort one another in the wake of the teenager’s death.
    McDonald said she and A.J. were considering getting back together and she had last spoken with him at noon on Saturday shortly before she left for work.
    “He seemed kind of short but he still seemed all right, just his normal self,” McDonald said.
    After work, she called him again at 9:15 p.m.
    This time he didn’t answer.
    After hearing rumors about what had happened, McDonald said she couldn’t bring herself to go to the house.
    “I knew there would be so many people when I heard Rick was outside. I didn’t want to see them bring him (A.J.) out.”
    McDonald said she was having trouble coping with the passing of her friend.
    “Not very good. Not good at all. I’ll have to cope with it somehow,” she said. “It’s so unexpected that I’m not really sure what to do yet.”
    McDonald said A.J. will be remembered for his kindness. “Whenever anyone was walking down the hallway and he saw they had a gloomy look to them he’d always ask what’s wrong and he’d try to help ... He’d put everyone before himself.”
    Within hours of his death, a Facebook page dedicated to the memory of A.J. Kistler was created and has attracted dozens of comments and hundreds of members.
    Loved ones have posted more than a dozen photos of the teen along with messages of condolence and memories of A.J.
    “When you waved to me from the hallway before fourth period the other day, I had no idea it would be the last time I saw your smiling face. It’s not fair that you’re gone,” one poster wrote.
    McDonald is confident that police are correct in pursuing the shooting as an accidental death.
    “Rick loved A.J. to death and I really don’t believe he’d do it on purpose ... They were always happy when they were with each other, joking with each other.”
    Hoss said students won’t return to school until Tuesday due to the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday but school officials will be ready when they return.
    “We’re meeting with our administration and student support people Monday at 9 a.m.,” the principal said Sunday.
    Administrators and staff will map out plans to provide grief counseling to students on Tuesday.
    Hoss has offered the use of the school gymnasium for Kistler’s wake and viewing due to the size of the anticipated crowd of mourners.
    Ned Dunnichay of Dunnichay Funeral Home said the family has accepted the offer and services at the gym are being planned.
    Frankton High cafeteria worker Sheryl Walker Best said A.J. Kistler will be missed by many since he was a popular student who always seemed to be smiling.
    “You know some students just stand out from others, and he was one who was just nice to everybody.”

Top Bottom