Why Carry in a small town? Real Event Just happened.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Starting this off, I really appreciate Tipton PD for taking care of the dog! I never leave home without my EDC sidearm and this is a PURE example of why.

I am the only person covering the store today. I am ringing a customer up and notice a Pit Bull walking down an isle next to the register. I finish with the customer and ask if it's her dog, she said no. We leave our doors open, so dogs walking in is not new. I help the customer with items outside and come back in to walk the dog out of the store. I come back in and find the dog towards the back. I gave the dog the benefit of the doubt, cause we've never had an aggressive dog before. Normally we whistle for them and they walk with you outside and we shut the doors for awhile.

This time, this dog starts going a bit berserk! It didn't charge, so I didn't draw. I made sure no one was inside the store and locked all the doors so no one would walk in. I stayed outside until an officer showed up and helped him how I could to lasso the dog.

So moral of this story, PEOPLE are not the only thing you have to watch out for! This is why small town or not you should always carry! Never know when something like this will happen.

So again, thanks Tipton PD!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Loose dogs are one of the reasons I started carrying more than just once and a while. When my son was younger (4-6) we would go on neighborhood walks and would come across more than a few loose dogs, some not so nice.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    Good move.
    I'm usually on my own side in any of these threads, but there's only one side when it comes to protecting yourself and others against ANY threat.
    More power to the individual!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Some years back, a female employee stopped at a bank w/ the outside deposit box, to do a night drop from a gas station. As an off duty LEO, I witnessed a vehicle do the slow drive past, male subject dismounted the vehicle and approached her. I had my personal car, and was loading a bag of groceries in the trunk when I heard a scream. He put a knife to her throat, grabbed the deposit, and jumped in the car and fled the scene. I ID'D myself to the woman, got a partial license plate, had a Glock 22 in my waistband, never had a second to think about drawing it. This happened at 10:00pm, in a town of 4000 people. So, it does happen in small towns too. Subjects were never caught, even though had a Bank video, and my partial description. Happened really fast, probably over in 30 seconds or less.

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    We're Horton's Hardware next to the courthouse. This happened after I went to the gun show this morning and I came to work my shift for the day.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I got bit once while riding bicycle along a county road. The owner got crappy with me when I went back to talk with them! After the cops got involved...and the Animal Control officer agreed the guy had an attitude, ...I asked the Animal Control officer to tell the owner that if I ever saw their dog running loose again...I wasn't calling the cops! Never had a problem with that dog again!

I now wear a jogger's chest holster / carrier whenever I ride!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Someone could live for decades in a big city without getting victimized by violent crime. But the first day he moves to a small town, he gets shot by a bad guy passing through. People look at statistics and say, "Ooh, Chicago is sooo dangerous! I'll never go there!" Unfortunately, statistics means nothing to the individual when he is the unlucky exception.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I live in a small town on the Ohio River. Downtown is seperated by the 'hilltop', and there are 12,000 people divided between the two. Crime is low, but not non-existent. A couple weeks back some fella was walking on a local trail and got beat up and robbed in the woods. A few months back some woman was raped in her car at like 4AM. She was sitting in it smoking a cigarette where someone supposedly raped her. No one has ever been arrested for either crime.

We've had robberies in our little local restaurants at knife point, we've got crackheads and drug abusers. Small town, statistically with a very low crime rate compared to other cities and well below the national average, but I still carry now that I can.

On the subjects of dogs though, there was a big m'fer roaming the streets two nights ago. I was walking back from the gas station headed west, get to 4 way stop and to the south of me was this big ol' dog just walking around. I continued walking my way, he continued walking his. All was good :). I did get a little tense though, second time in the last few months I've had a large stray dog in my path. The other one was a big hooch just laying on the sidewalk infront of a home. I just crossed the street and continued my way on the opposite side of the road. Dog couldn't be bothered to get out of the shade. :)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Diplomacy truly is the art of saying "nice doggy" while getting a positive grip on your edc.

Around here dogs are second only to people on the list of "things that can/might just up and kill you dead".

308offate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    I never really thought about this, until my sister and her husband moved to Texas. A dog from someone down the road got out and this caused my brother in law to start to carry all the time. Good thing too because not long after this he had a feral hog charge him when he was clearing some neighborhood walking trails. Hog roast ensued.

Rehab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I carry now that I can, but in all reality crime is everywhere. I live in a fairly small town, but there are a few murders a year here. You always have to be prepared for the unexpected.

Top Bottom