• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Some of you may have come across this story when it developed.
    1st Part- Girl seized by government, taken into "care" for wanting to sail around the world.
    2nd Part- Girl runs away from state "care".

Now comes publication of a letter she left for her father when she headed out on her own. The Dutch government has managed to drive her away and head her in the direction of freedom and liberty by interfering in something that was none of their business.
    From Dutch News
    Laura Dekker, the 14-year-old girl who wants to sail solo around the world, had just one goal when she ran away from home last week, and that was to get away from Holland and never come back, reports the AD on Thursday.
    ‘Dear dad, I am totally fed up with this country. I am going to find freedom. I never want anything more to do with Holland and will never return,’ she wrote in a letter to her father says the paper.
    Laura was brought back to Holland this week after running away to the Caribbean island of St Maarten last week where, according to her lawyer, she wanted to buy a boat.
    Laura was made a ward of court earlier this year after her plans to sail solo around the world were made public. A court in Utrecht ruled on Wednesday that Laura will not be put into care and can remain at home with her father.
    ‘I would love to get my school diploma but it won’t work like this. And there’s no point anymore because I really don’t want to live here with all the stupid authorities and people…I might as well forget my world trip, they will keep extending my ward of court status until I’m 18,’ said Laura in the letter.
    Yet another government has created an individual by their actions.

And, for the naysayers who would deny her right to sail away due to her age. Here's some other youngsters who did great things at an early age.
    Joan of Arc first heard her calling at the age of 12. Charles VII led an army against the English at the age of 13 before ascending to the French throne at 14. St. Thomas of Cori was family patriarch by age 14. Wesley So achieved the title of Grand Master in chess at age 14. Hou Yifan was the youngest female Grand Master as well. Temba Tsheri made his first attempt on Mt Everest at the age of 14. Sir Francis William Austen entered the Royal Naval Academy at age twelve and graduated at the age of 14.
    George Washington was a surveyor and traveler at the age of 16. Negotiating with Indian tribes and undertaking dangerous journeys along the frontier. At 15 Ben Franklin authored the Silence DoGood letters and later became a fugitive for leaving his apprenticeship. At the age of 16 Audie Murphy joined the US Army. Age is no barrier to the brave and free spirited. She's a poster child for liberty.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, the young Ms. Dekker finally managed to get away from the Dutch government and set sail some time ago, no thanks to the interference of her government. Now her round the world trip is almost finished. Tomorrow she'll reach her start point and her voyage into the record books will be finished! Good on her. She's not too sure she'll return to Holland, tho. Her governments actions have left a rather bad taste in her mouth and she's not sure she wants to go back there. Hope she's happy where ever she decides to settle down. She's done something to be proud of.

Teen may never go home after sailing round world - TODAY People - TODAY.com

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Well, the young Ms. Dekker finally managed to get away from the Dutch government and set sail some time ago, no thanks to the interference of her government. Now her round the world trip is almost finished. Tomorrow she'll reach her start point and her voyage into the record books will be finished! Good on her. She's not too sure she'll return to Holland, tho. Her governments actions have left a rather bad taste in her mouth and she's not sure she wants to go back there. Hope she's happy where ever she decides to settle down. She's done something to be proud of.

Teen may never go home after sailing round world - TODAY People - TODAY.com

Very cool thanks for the update.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    She will be someone to follow the rest of her life. How can you not become a leader with that experience.

Another part of me feels like I'm an over protective parent. I live in a relatively safe corner of the planet and my kids are not quite that old yet but I don't so much as go to the basement when they play outside. This young lady has had an interesting childhood to enable her to be this mature.

Top Bottom