• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Was at POPS indoor range yesterday shooting WW165 .40 FMJ at my target minding my own business, when an errant just fired brass shell casing ejected from that new (to me) Glock-23, flew through the air and came to rest between my shooting glasses, and left eye socket. :eek:

I first tried to shake my head, hoping to shake it loose like having an enraged BEE had landed there, one zillionth of a second later it was slap off those shootring glasses time.:@ya:

I've had them lodge in my shirt, came home with a few casings in my shirt pocket, had arm and neck brass kissy burns before, but this one was a definate wake up.

Ball cap even at the indoor coulda, shoulda, woulda kept me from getting this nice tear drop sized welt next to my left peeper.

:patriot:

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    Been there before but never behind the glasses. My dad would have said "You'll shoot your eye out". Now you have the badge of courage.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I posted about doing just that a couple months ago. I grounded the gun and got the glasses of ASAP and still had a pretty good burn on my cheek just below the eye.

I keep my glasses a little tighter since then. It's hard to do in the summer when I need the extra ventilation to keep from fogging.

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a permanent scar on the left side of my neck shaped like a 5.56 casing. When I was deployed, it got caught in the neck of my body armor and stuck there for a good little bit while I was still shooting. That really kind of sucked.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Man. That sucks. I cant imagine how painfull that must be.

Shooting at indoor ranges I mean. :)

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've had that happen to me as well, it wasn't too hard to imagine a shell lodging against my eye at some point...

That thought scared me enough that I added some removable cheap plastic side shields to close the gaps between the glasses and my face. They are cheap insurance (about $5 - $6) and available here:

Safety Optical B-52 Aye Mate Universal Sideshield, One Pair (Large)

Just a safety tip from your ol' uncle Drew... :-)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Believe it or not, I think the little .22 LR cases are the worst. I hate having one stick on my arm during a match and sizzle. Of course an empty like you had near the eye must be bad.:postpics:

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Was at POPS indoor range yesterday shooting

I thought I heard a little girl squealing in pain. ;) Sorry... that had to hurt!

I was there trying out my new .22 rifle around 6pm. Why does everyone in there have such a serious look on their faces? LOL I enjoy shooting.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a permanent scar on the left side of my neck shaped like a 5.56 casing. When I was deployed, it got caught in the neck of my body armor and stuck there for a good little bit while I was still shooting. That really kind of sucked.
    \

It's all good. Chicks dig Scars!

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I thought I heard a little girl squealing in pain. ;) Sorry... that had to hurt!

I was there trying out my new .22 rifle around 6pm. Why does everyone in there have such a serious look on their faces? LOL I enjoy shooting.

I met some nice guys to shoot with that are apparently there every tuesday and thursday in the afternoon... other than that, you are right about everyone seeming serious.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    No sqweel outa me, but the dance I did...............five tenths of a second of boot scootin/hoedown showdown jap slap shuffle, today it looks like a skin cancer candidate. A nice glock souviner melonoma.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    That sucks, sorry you got burnt. That's why at least when I'm shooting outside (never had to use an indoor range) I just wear my oakley sunglasses. They fit tight and I don't have that kind of problem.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    yikes! Maybe goggles?

No, a baseball cap and wrap around shooting glasses. No, not your cool guy sunglasses, shooting glasses that bend around and a cap with a brim.

I am simply amazed at the number of numbnuts on youtube or at the range that do not care to wear eye protection. Apparently the notion that a firearm is an explosion in a box in front of your face has not dawned on them.:dunno:

rcjack86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Indianapolis/Lafayette
    Was at POPS indoor range yesterday shooting WW165 .40 FMJ at my target minding my own business, when an errant just fired brass shell casing ejected from that new (to me) Glock-23, flew through the air and came to rest between my shooting glasses, and left eye socket. :eek:

I first tried to shake my head, hoping to shake it loose like having an enraged BEE had landed there, one zillionth of a second later it was slap off those shootring glasses time.:@ya:

I've had them lodge in my shirt, came home with a few casings in my shirt pocket, had arm and neck brass kissy burns before, but this one was a definate wake up.

Ball cap even at the indoor coulda, shoulda, woulda kept me from getting this nice tear drop sized welt next to my left peeper.

:patriot:

This reminds me of basic training. When we loaded up in the back of a five ton, m16's pointed outward at all times for "saftey" we drove around on the range and shot pop up targets. We were given approximately 60 rounds each. That means if you were to the right of someone, you were screwed. One guy came back and had so many welts on his neck and down his chest he looked like a burn victim. Lucky for me, I sat on the passenger side all the up to the front.

Top Bottom